Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my 5 month old pup is eating one cup of the IAMS smart puppy and one cup of the IAMS 1+ dog food three times a day that is what our vet said to do because Riley was growing to fast, well its expensive having to buy two kinds of dog food. I was just wondering if anyone else is doing this? If so when can I stop buying two different kinds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the input, the answer to your question is yes we are feeding him 6 cups a day, and from the beginning I thought that was alot but since the vet told us to do it that way I just agreed. What kind of large breed puppy food is the best?,and how would I introduce the new food to Riley without upsetting his system? Thanks again, Michelle

ps Riley is 5 months old and weights 36lbs, is that normal?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello goldenriley~

6 cups of food a day for one 5 month old puppy? Yikes! I can see why you think that's expensive! OUCH, right in the wallet!

When I had small puppies, I fed a super premium Large Breed puppy food... (recommend Nutro LB Puppy, but there are others out there, too)... and I never fed more that 3 cups a day! 1 1/2 in the morning... 1 1/2 in the evening!

Because the ingredients are so much better, and the waste (read; poop) is so much less, more of the food stays with them, making it less expensive in the long run.

Also...........since Riley is 5 months old, and you're thinking of switching anyway, I would go right to adult dog food. I never feed puppy food after 6 months. A Super Premium adult dog food will be GReat for your puppy!!

I have 5 goldens......... My male who is 70# and two of my females get a little more than 2 cups A DAY.(1 heaping in a.m./1 heaping in p.m.) One of my females does get 3 cups a day, as she has a HIGH ACTIVITY LEVEL! Burns those caleroies off fast! (Lucky girl!).

Oh, Riley might be a little on the small end of the scale to me, but don't worry about that right now... He will grow!!!!!!!!!! :D

As for introducing him to the new food... this is what I do so that I don't have to measure this... then measure that... I use Rubbermaid totes for food storage, the totes sit on top of their kennels ... when I go to switch food I put the new food in the BOTTOM of the tote, then put the current food I'm using on top of that... the natural motion, over a few days, will mix the two foods together, so that by the time you get to the bottom, it will ONLY be the new food. Makes it so easy for me! :p

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with everything GO said.... except I would put him on a food like Nutro LBP until about 10 months, then switch to Adult.

I generaly take about 2 weeks to switch foods. Starting with about a 20% new and 80% old and slowly adding the new.

At 5 months I believe Clancy was eating 4 cups Nutro LBP per day, but he was a big boy. At 5 months he was 50 pounds.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm not a fan of mixing two types of kibbles together and feeding because by doing this one is throughing of the phosphorus and calcium levels within the kibbles.

Feeding a LBP kibble is formulated to slow down the growth rate in the large breeds as well as help to keep there weight in check.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.