Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a golden retriever, Leo, who keeps developing this skin rash. His belly, butt and armpit develop this red rash and he starts to itch it causing the hair to come out and scabs to form. After three vets I was finally told it is most likely a food allergy. I have had him off grains and still no change. I recently switched him to California naturals kangaroo and red lintels grain free food and it hasn't helped yet. His ears usually get crusty at the time that the rash appears but now his ear is leaking a smelly fluid and the hair around his ear is crusty from it and his ear is very red and very swollen. It feels in one spot as if there is fluid inside one of the swells. If I can get help or answer to any of his issues Leo and I would greatly appreciate it! Here is a pic of his ear currently :(

Attachments

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
contrary to what the dog food companies would have you believe (gotta love their marketing departments) grain isn't a common allergy in dogs. Most common are beef and chicken.
I would suggest a true hypoallergenic diet from your vet. You need to try it for at least 8-12 weeks, and no other food, treats, etc.
Meanwhile, your poor dog needs some antibiotics and/or antifungals to get past the secondary infection and inflammation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the suggestion about the dog food. Has anyone ever used dinobytes? Does it help with food sensitive dogs? Also I'm afraid the ear swelling may be hematoma. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any medication I can get to relieve him until his vet visit?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I don't know what dinobytes are, sorry.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
I wanted to second Hotel's suggestions. After several years of diarrhea and more, we were referred to dermatologists who made some changes in her medicines and put her on a hypoallergenic diet. It made a HUGE difference for her. I know it's a holiday weekend, but definitely see the vet asap to get him some relief.

In the meantime, perhaps a soak in epsom salts or colloidal oatmeal might help ease any swelling or itching. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts