Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Fenway's mommy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:Hello everyone we have a new edition to our family. Fenway is curently 8 weeks old and we have an issue. We work night shift 6p-6a and of course our new puppy is on a day shift schedule. He is currently crate trained however in the mornings after being fed and played with, he seems to be tired. We put him in the crate and he whines for hours. Do any of you have advice on how to make the puppy sleep during the day? (He sleeps at night in the crate just fine).

We have thought about puting the crate in the closet because it's dark or maybe getting him a cover for the crate?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

-And just before it's said (he sleeps all night why would he want to sleep all day) he comes to work with me and I try to keep him up all night but it doesn't work he just lays down in his travel crate and passes out-

Kmonk

Attachments

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Fenway

:confused:Hello everyone we have a new edition to our family. Fenway is curently 8 weeks old and we have an issue. We work night shift 6p-6a and of course our new puppy is on a day shift schedule. He is currently crate trained however in the mornings after being fed and played with, he seems to be tired. We put him in the crate and he whines for hours. Do any of you have advice on how to make the puppy sleep during the day? (He sleeps at night in the crate just fine).

We have thought about puting the crate in the closet because it's dark or maybe getting him a cover for the crate?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

-And just before it's said (he sleeps all night why would he want to sleep all day) he comes to work with me and I try to keep him up all night but it doesn't work he just lays down in his travel crate and passes out-

Kmonk
Do not put his crate in a closet! You can drape a sheet loosely on top of crate to shut some of the light out. Make sure that air is getting through. What do you do that you can take him to work? Are you able to come home and take him out during your twelve hour shift? Puppies sleep a lot as a rule. HE should not be in a crate more than a few hours.

Reactions: Kmonk1984

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
How wonderful for you both that he can go to work with you!
Shifting him onto a night shift schedule is going to require some hard work.
Don't put him in a closet. You could cover his crate with a sheet, though, that sometimes helps. I'm guessing you keep your bedroom dark in the day since that's when you sleep? Try putting him in there with you.
Remember- he's just 8 weeks old- super baby- and like with human babies, sometimes it takes months to get them on the same liveable schedule as parents. He ought to be out of the crate when you are home, doing dishes and whatnot. When you get ready to go to bed, try putting him to bed, too- in your room- and like new parents, be prepared to lose some sleep. If you know he doesn't need to potty, put a sheet over the crate and if he wakes you, take him out and put him right back in after he potties. He should sleep most of the time anyway, he's just a baby.

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
We're on night shift here, too
Max was never crated that long, but he did get used to being up with us, he crashes around 11:30 or 12 and then goes up to bed with me when I go up later. He sleeps during the day.
At 8 weeks old, they sleep more than they're awake.
Give him time to get used to the schedule, and like Karen said, don't crate for more than a few hours.

·
Fenway's mommy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not put his crate in a closet! You can drape a sheet loosely on top of crate to shut some of the light out. Make sure that air is getting through. What do you do that you can take him to work? Are you able to come home and take him out during your twelve hour shift? Puppies sleep a lot as a rule. HE should not be in a crate more than a few hours.
Im a dispatcher for a private ems service so I can bring him at night. His travle crate stays open so he can choose to lay on the floor but most of the time he like laying in the crate at work. I live 45ms away from work I would have my wife let him out but she also works nights the same days I do. So we are lucky I can bring him with me :) Thank you for the idea about the sheet.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Can you arrange for your baby to be walked during the day? I'm sure that little body is in need of exercise and potty breaks.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Fenway's mommy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How wonderful for you both that he can go to work with you!
Shifting him onto a night shift schedule is going to require some hard work.
Don't put him in a closet. You could cover his crate with a sheet, though, that sometimes helps. I'm guessing you keep your bedroom dark in the day since that's when you sleep? Try putting him in there with you.
Remember- he's just 8 weeks old- super baby- and like with human babies, sometimes it takes months to get them on the same liveable schedule as parents. He ought to be out of the crate when you are home, doing dishes and whatnot. When you get ready to go to bed, try putting him to bed, too- in your room- and like new parents, be prepared to lose some sleep. If you know he doesn't need to potty, put a sheet over the crate and if he wakes you, take him out and put him right back in after he potties. He should sleep most of the time anyway, he's just a baby.[/QUOTE

Thank you he is a fast learner thats for sure! I put up a baby gate in our bathroom this morning and he slept for about 4 hours then he woke us up crying so we took him out. We already have the huge crate with the divider and he loves laying in the crate down stairs when he is tired. So I might keep trying the bathroom trick till he is older and I on;t have to crate him when we are out and about.

·
Fenway's mommy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the Forum.

Can you arrange for your baby to be walked during the day? I'm sure that little body is in need of exercise and potty breaks.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
On the days that we work we take shifts on taking him out if he is whinning and take him for walks. On our off days he is in the yard with me chasing the carpenter bees lol. It's fun watching him trying to pounch on them and him trying to drag the plants off im trying to plant. And he is a smart dog since we have had him he has only had two accidents in the house. So I'm so thankful because the last time I had a puppy it was not that way with my moms yorkie but that was 15 years ago.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dogs can adapt to their owner's schedules, and usually do all on their own. I would not put him in a closet either, but the blanket over the create is a great idea. It will block out all the visual distractions and let him get some rest.

·
Fenway's mommy
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update :)

I just wanted to tell everyone thank you so much for all the great advice! Fenway is getting used to his large crate day by day and will sleep in the crate at night! He normally goes to bed around 3am and will sleep till about 8:30am. We get up with him fed him then go for a walk :) If it's a day we work we have been taking him upstairs with us and putting the travel crate in the bathroom and he normally goes back to sleep till about 1pm. After that he is ready to play the rest of the day, so we stay pretty busy everyday with him. We love every minute with him and his larger than life personality!

·
Bella's Dad
1,833 Posts
I would suggest room darkening blinds.
I know, Bella wakes up at the first crack of dawn. This is fine week days as I get up at 5:30 am to get ready for work.
But weekends ends we prefer to sleep in till 7 ish.
Drawing the blinds & keeping windows closed (birds chirping) to keep the room dark lets Bella & us sleep until we want to get up.

Mike D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.