Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Zoinks!!! Ruh Roh Raggy!!
1,478 Posts
I keep handling Dakota and I have been giving him constant feedback on what is too much. His bite has really softened the last few days. He has gotten much better when he sleeps with me too. He gently mouths my hands and fingers velociraptor bites are getting extremely rare...they might even go extinct so to speak.

Reactions: Ksdenton

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for all the advise! Albus had a really good day yesterday... so that was great.

Also, thanks for the white vinegar + apple cider vinegar tip. I'll have to try it.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Oh, my gosh. That second photo of Missy in the water dish is so great. I love it. I'm glad things seem to be getting better. I haven't added anything because you've been getting some great advice. I will just say that my first Golden (first as an adult on my own) was super mouthy and super bitey (I had bloody arms and hands for weeks) - and she turned into the sweetest thing. It had nothing to do with personality - just everything to do with being a puppy and being particularly mouthy. She was amazing with kids. She remained very mouthy all her life, and always had a stuffed toy in her mouth, or a mitt if we were outside and encountered kids - sometimes the mitt was theirs!). I had to just constantly put the toy in her mouth and I would not love her up til she had something besides my arm or hand in her mouth. She learned really quickly to "get a toy" and for her whole life, could not bear to greet someone unless she went and got a stuffed toy to hold at the same time. :)

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
My pup Duster has been by far the mouthiest pup we've ever had. One of the things that worked for us was to let him know how hard was too hard. I let him mouth my hand, and withdrew it with a loud "ouch" when he bit too hard. He learned quickly: I would say within a couple of weeks.

As for "attacking" or biting of legs, arms or whatever, we simply didn't tolerate it: he went straight into his crate for a quick time-out. It eliminated the behaviour completely.

However, the thing that helped us the most was to start training him. Lots of 5-minute sessions training sit, down, stand, turn, spin, etc. It gave him something else to think about, and gave us a way to redirect him when he became mouthy. By 9 weeks of age we could redirect him into a "sit". It was very useful.

Now, at five months of age, he's a lot less mouthy than he was, probably because he doesn't have many teeth right now!! He has plenty of toys to chew on, and while he will still mouth my hands occasionally, he does so very gently. I can see the behaviour is extinguishing itself.

I hope you find some way to get through this. As others have said, it does go away on its own to some extent, eventually!

·
Registered
432 Posts
You mentioned not using the long line because of eating sticks. Elsa had a rock obsession, and I was constantly searching for sticks to put in her mouth instead. You will have to pick your battles, and for me leaves and sticks were not it. In fact we cut down a maple tree in early spring. She would ring bells just to go chew on the maple. Since it was saving my skin and sanity, we would go out, break off a lengthy chunk and she would pack it back into the house and shred it all over. In may ways, sticks are actually safer than bully sticks. When she gets to the age that she can make the bully sticks disappear fast, you will have to stop using them, or get longer ones for awhile. I have had to stop getting them for Elsa now she can even chew the 18" ones down really fast, but would still recommend them for people with pups like ours. And make sure to throw out the butt ends, don't let her chew it all the way. Dogs have been known to get these stuck in their gut.

·
Lisa
675 Posts
Missy is absolutely adorable! Even though I'm reading how she's chewing on you, I have puppy fever. I hope you will continue to post pictures as she grows.

Just wanted to offer a couple of things that got me through my first year -- little pieces of advice that experienced puppy-raisers told me.

First, it's okay to cry and wish you'd never brought home your puppy. Feel that way as much as you want the first year -- it's totally normal to tear your hair out and think, "What have I done???" :)

My puppy was mouthy even by golden retriever standards (still is a super-chewer, but he's very appropriate about it now). He bit through my snow pants one day when we were training. He had a special talent for jumping and biting me on the rear (probably got a big reaction out of me). I thought he hated me. There were many days when I didn't like him much. He wasn't a snuggler, and he was on the slow end of potty training. My kids were afraid of him. But we stuck it out, even after my husband offered me money to rehome him. (I'm not joking.)

His favorite toy was a stuffed Folkmanis hand puppet. It saved me from even more blood being drawn. My dog destroyed it utterly by seven months, but it got us through the puppy stage. I will never have a puppy without a copy of that puppet.

Everyone says that if you can make it through the rough beginning, you will have a great dog. When my dog was a puppy, I clung to that idea. And now he's two, and it's true. Oh, sure, I lose the odd sweater or dish towel every now and again when he's bored or lonely, but if you had told me then that my snappy, biting, guarding little jerk of a puppy would evolve into such a loving and calm adult, I wouldn't have believed it. But he did. And he's come so incredibly far that we downloaded our application to become a therapy team today.

And though I was worried he hated me, since I was often the victim of his puppy teeth, you can practically see the love radiating out of his eyes when he looks at me.

It sounds like your girl is very smart, and she'll generalize her training as she grows older and wiser. It sounds like you are doing everything right with her, and she is a very lucky girl to have landed in your care. You will make it through this stage (and then teenager times -- maybe get a few cases of your favorite alcoholic beverage ready for that stage), and then you get the dog you wanted. It ALL pays off.

·
Premium Member
1,444 Posts
I imagine that there might be one or two golden puppies that were perfect angels from the day they were born, but that's not what most of us have experienced. My sweet boy will be two in August, and while I can't claim our training is finished or ever will be I can say that he is turning into one of the sweetest, most gentle dogs I've ever owned.
The first seven months after we brought him home were challenging, to put it mildly. There were quite a few times that I know my wife was on the verge of sending him to be re-homed, and I'll admit to having some doubts myself a time or two.
It is very easy to start to believe that there is something wired wrong in your pups brain when you're dealing with a whirling dervish with razor blades for teeth. I don't claim to be an expert, but what worked for me was to always pop a toy into his mouth to redirect his nipping, and to engage in puppy pushups with appropriate treats to redirect his brain from the wild behavior.
I made a concoction of cayenne pepper and painted it onto a few items that he started to chew on and it worked wonders. It's probably not suitable for use on fabrics but it works wonders on cords and surfaces that won't stain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like Zak. Ignore the annoying commercial, he's got a bit of what I did with my Emma.
https://youtu.be/m9KQegi4r8k
I also used Zak George's videos. He's a brilliant trainer. My puppy is almost 7 months now but she went crazy on my feet at the beginning. I was so frustrated because I trained her from day one yet she only ever acted up with me not my boyfriend.

We eventually got past the biting me stage. I used Zak George's methods. Clicker training, praising when she's good, and ignoring when she's bad. The first few weeks are seriously the hardest.

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
A collar. I've bought 2 easy walk harnesses and it seems she is between sizes!! Small is too small even all the way loosened and medium is too big all the way tight :(

Medium almost works... but she is able to get her mouth down under the chest strap then it's stuck there. I've been trying to think of a way to tighten it up, because it will fit fine in a few weeks I'm sure.
We had the same issue, they make a small/medium size... we ordered it from Amazon as the local pet shops only had small, medium, large..

·
~*Kristina*~
319 Posts
@puppytimes I just want to thank you for this post! You are an excellent writer as well, as you described exactly what we are dealing with with our sweet Bailey, only not to the severity of Missy. Bailey is 17 weeks old now, and we have noticed a big difference in the last week - she's also losing a lot of baby teeth the last week. She's extra mouthy and needs to have something to chew on constantly, and she still gets all landsharky when she is tired and needs to go in the crate to nap. It cracks me up, she's smart enough to know if she bites me, she can get put in the crate, why can't she just go in the crate and leave my skin out of it?! LOL

Hang in there.... we started her in puppy training and the trainer said she will definitely grow out of it, that golden puppies are the worst for puppy biting, basically everything you have been told on this thread. I can say yelping ramps Bailey up right over the edge. A stern NO followed by my leaving seems to work, but then she gets this really pitiful look on her face when she misses me. :(

I will be following your thread as you've received excellent advice.

Missy is adorable by the way!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had this problem with my other dog (not golden) whenever she bit to hard i would yelp just like the puppys do, whenever i did that she immediatley stopped, now it did take a couple times of consistently doing it for her to understand what my threshold is. Now she has a very very gentle bite! I really want you to try this and keep doing it! As for leash im not sure maybe take a break and just leave it on her in the house like you have been doing. Maybe get a longer leash? Im not sure, anyways i hope she gets better :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
From the time I made this post to now, Missy has already changed A LOT. In fact, it's like the day I made this post was the tipping point... she had reached peak shark. It was really a downward trend after! She still bites way too dang hard sometimes, but it's not nearly as much, my wounds are healing and I haven't gotten any new ones. My arms were absolutely wrecked.

I think what helped a ton:
I bought her bully sticks. At first I wasn't sure she'd take to them but a few days later she would seek her stick out and chew for a good while. I always stick it in her mouth if shes getting too mouthy and she'll go enjoy it. I also take it with me in the car and she will chop on it the whole time, so the car doesn't bother her a bit.

I also bught way more toys - I have at least 25 now. I thought it was a bit much, however, I rotate them every 2 days. 5 out at a time. By the time I get to the oldest toys, they're like new toys, and so she stays really interested in her toys. Some of her favorites have been:
This thing. I think the spiky points feel good on the gums.
This thing. She loves bottles and you can put bottles in it. She also gets gatordate bottles, milk jugs. Milk jugs are like a self entertaining toy...they're too big to keep a grip on so they fly out of her mouth and she chases it.
That thing. LOVES the erratic bouncing when we play fetch with it.
This too. Instead of squeaking it "giggles" and Missy loves to shake the heck out of it.
These. It moves, has textures and is softer rubber for teething.
These too. Any of this style. She likes the crinkle noise.
And this one. It's way oversized for her which she seems to love.

I also bought a 30ft long line that I started using reguarly - I tie her to my waist and just let her roam outside, watching her like a hawk for eating things on the ground. Sometimes she'll do zoomies but she likes to save those for inside... but just exploring for a while seems to help, too.

I bought a puzzle ball feeder, which seems to make her furious, but at the same time it keeps her busy running out some energy for a while.

In the end, yelping never seemed to register with her and made her bite more. I just started leaving her if she did it. If we were on the floor and she bit me, I would stand up VERY fast and immediately leave the room for 20-30 seconds. Sometimes I have to do it several times in a row, but it eventually seems to work. I also try to talk to her in a calm voice and not an excited voice. Which is hard for me because I always fall into baby talk with dogs.

Oh, another thing I'm doing everyday is clicker training - and I do a small session of just dont-bite-me. I reach my hand to her neck, chest, above her head (that's the hardest for her), and click immediately when she doesnt bite. Further into the session I start to touch those areas. I pull my hand away and cross my arms if she bites then try again. Click and treat. I reach a point every time where she doesn't react at all. I'll do this between 5-10 minutes, depending on her attention span that day. We're much better at putting collars and such on now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think you've done an amazing job with her- thanks for going through these ups and downs with her and never giving up! I'm also saving this post for toy ideas for when our new pup arrives one day. Job well done!

Reactions: Figtoria

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im so glad to hear you kept her and things have gotten better for her! Sorry at my first post i didnt read the whole post and didnt see that you tried yelping, good things to hear im getting my golden in 3 days and these might come in handy for me too!

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're doing SO great. I was unprepared for the level of landshark as well - Sadie was my first puppy under 6 months old. Up until a certain point, mostly you just have to live with it! Save a good bottle of wine to pop open when that last canine tooth falls out. ;)

At a certain point (like around 5 months), Sadie stopped biting my husband so much but became obsessed with biting me. I was more of her playmate and she was definitely trying to play, but it was way too much. This was when I started putting her in her crate for 30 seconds whenever she bit me (calmly, of course). The first time I did this, she got put away literally 17 times in an hour. BUT - it worked! My going into another room to remove contact didn't work -- her being put away from me did.

I'm happy to report that at 8 months old, she RARELY puts her teeth on us at all. Sometimes she does to try to demand play by biting and tugging at our sleeves, but we ignore it and tell her to go get a toy instead (then we play!). Other times, we'll be playing tug and she'll accidentally get some arm/hand in her mouth and she immediately moves her mouth away from our skin. It's kind of amazing, and if you had told me she'd be like this 6 months ago, I would have said you were a liar. :) You'll get there, and so will Missy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm starting to have some serious regrets getting my puppy. She is 12 weeks old now, I have had her almost 3 weeks. Adopted from a shelter. I was told she was just the sweetest thing. She is a mix breed, a golden retriever/x. She is currently 15lbs.

Before anyone really suggest a professional trainer please keep in mind I live in a pretty rural area. My only option would be PetSmart or PetCo. There is ONE "trainer" in the area, who follows Ceaser Millan methods. I will not go here. I planned on going to PetSmart classes, but have little hope for them.

I'm not new to puppies but I have never dealt with one like this, and none of my methods are working. I don't know what to do at this point.

I realize puppies bite and nip, and that it's totally normal, but this is beyond anything I have dealt with with puppies before. She just won't stop, and everyday she is biting harder. My arms are mauled, as are my legs. She draws blood daily, and not just a small puncture, but deep enough that it's dripping down my arm/calf onto the floor. At the store yesterday, someone actually asked me what happened, because my arms were raw and welted with bites and scratches.

At this point I finally broke down and have been crying all morning, because my arms are so sore and I have tried everything I know of and things I didn't and nothing is getting through to her and I feel like I've made a horrible mistake bringing her home. That she is going to grow up into an uncontrollable monster and hurt somebody. That I am failing her somehow. I keep telling myself shes just a puppy, it's just a puppy thing, but I have raised puppies before, and it was never this bad.

I have not once negatively corrected her for anything. When she bites, I tried yelping as loud as I could and ignoring for over a week straight very consistently - this only made her bite significantly harder each time.

The past few days she has started biting down hard and also shaking her head. This draws blood almost every time.

I tried getting up and ignoring. I tried leaving and ignoring for 1-2 minutes. As soon as I come back, it starts again.

I tried putting her in a time out pin. Same as above.

I tried shoving proper chew toys in her mouth. She makes an effort to spit them out and bite my skin.

I have pretty much very texture of toy to find something she would go for. Balls, rubber, tennis, bones, stuffed toys, squeakies, crinkles, plastic bottles, ropes, you name it, I have it..

I tried spraying bitter apple on my hands and ankles, which she HATES and it keeps her off my furniture but it enrages her when it's on me and she will just start "scissor biting" me instead of bite-hold.

I tried praising when shes playing properly, giving treats with shes behaving properly.

I exercise her many times a day, I don't play tug or any "aggressive" games or teasing games (keeping the toy out of her reach), usually we play fetch or I hold the toy for her, things like that. We go on short walks. When she's not playing she is sleeping.

We start getting up around 6:30AM, she has to pee/poo at this time. I'll release her from her crate into a pinned area with some toys and lay back down, usually she'll play quietly until about 8, when it's time to go out again. We'll walk for a bit (sort of - see below) then come eat breakfast, I will attempt to play but it's usually just me near tears, sometime later we'll have a training session (she'll do good with these for about 10 minutes, before she starts going after me). Usually she'll nap. Be up by about 11, repeat with lunch, walks, play, training. I'll give her another small meal around 3. Then dinner at 5. In between those it's sleep, walk, play, train. Her last meal is at 8, and she'll play off and on through th evening if she wants to. If she's sleeping I let her sleep, if shes up I'll try to exersice or train her.

I work from home so I am here 24/7.

I do training with her several times a day and pretty much I'm focusing on "off", and she does good while training. She'll be mauling my hand and respond immediately to "off", however, she will not respond to ANY commands (off, sit, lay) when we are not in "training mode". I know she knows them, but she will not listen. She is typically VERY GOOD while training. She learns things within minutes. I use a clicker. In addition to focusing on off, I also focus on not biting me in other ways - I reach to pet her or touch her collar. I pull my hand away and sit still if she tries to bite. She will stop and allow me to pet/touch within a few times of this, I'll click and treat. We'll keep doing this and always reach a point where she doesn't even attempt to bite. But again, none of this sticks beyond these sessions.

Of note - she has a big pillow that she loves to sleep beside, however when she is playing she gets very aggressive with it. I don't know if I should let her play this way with the pillow or not. She pretty much shakes her whole body, very violently attacking this pillow, sometimes growling, trying to pin it down. More than once I've saw her humping it - and I've NEVER saw a girl dog hump before! Should I take it away from her??

Another related but separate issue is the leash. Again, I've been trying to work with her with clicker and treats (High value treats, not just kibble - pieces of turkey etc.) It's not even that I want her to walk properly, I just want her to stop FLIPPING OUT, literally. She throws tantrums and thrashes, growls, yanks, she sounds as if she is being physically hurt. I switched to a light chain lead which she doesn't like to bite so she has now started lunging at me in her fits and it does not even resemble playing. She drew blood last night again from my hand that she lunged into. During these fits, I stand there with a slack lead and wait. I really don't know how else to handle it. A few times I've felt she was at risk hurting herself, so I stepped into her and on the leash and picked her up, brought her straight into time-out.

I've tried feeding her with the lead on, keeping it on while she drags it around the house, walking her in the house with it on, playing with it on, and that is all just fine. It's when we're outside only.

In other ways... she is a very good puppy. She is pretty much 100% potty trained. She loves her crate and goes to nap in it on her own. She sleeps through the night. She is very good during training sessions. Very, very rarely she will climb into my lap to be pet. She is smart. But this biting is out of control and I don't know what else to do.
Hi my name is Bella,
I did a google search about my puppy biting me & drawing blood, I accidentally stumbled upon this website and saw your post from 2016! So I am a bit late jumping into this conversation BUT you wrote about your (at the time) 12 week old gold retriever puppy who was uncontrollably biting without recognition that this was inappropriate behavior. Well, I just got a puppy and he is about three months old. Him and I are having the exact same problem and I am started to feel a little defeated. I've been looking into veterinary behaviorists who practice reinforcement based training and I have been researching remedies like a maniac! I do not know what to do!!!
I am reaching out to see, 5 years later, if you ended up finding a solution, a trainer etc. I could really use some advice/words of encouragement so I hope you see this and get back to me soon :) If you do end up getting around to it, thank you for taking the time to read this. ALSO, thank you for writing that post because I've been feeling super alone throughout this teething experience.

Cheers, Bella

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Hi my name is Bella,
I did a google search about my puppy biting me & drawing blood, I accidentally stumbled upon this website and saw your post from 2016! So I am a bit late jumping into this conversation BUT you wrote about your (at the time) 12 week old gold retriever puppy who was uncontrollably biting without recognition that this was inappropriate behavior. Well, I just got a puppy and he is about three months old. Him and I are having the exact same problem and I am started to feel a little defeated. I've been looking into veterinary behaviorists who practice reinforcement based training and I have been researching remedies like a maniac! I do not know what to do!!!
I am reaching out to see, 5 years later, if you ended up finding a solution, a trainer etc. I could really use some advice/words of encouragement so I hope you see this and get back to me soon :) If you do end up getting around to it, thank you for taking the time to read this. ALSO, thank you for writing that post because I've been feeling super alone throughout this teething experience.

Cheers, Bella
If you read through the thread you will see all the advice that was offered. Also, do a search in the Puppy under 1 year section of the board for "puppy biting" and you will find hundreds of threads already here that have good advice and helpful suggestions.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts