Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Missy is adorable! But in your fourth photo, I can see that her mind plotting the next biting attack.

I feel your pain, I never thought the biting would end with Mandy. I still have scars to prove it. She's 8 mos. now and once she lost those baby teeth, the biting stopped (thankfully).

You got a lot of great advice here. Good luck.

Reactions: Panama Rob

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
It will end don't worry. Chloe stopped about five to sixth months. Just keep redirecting with toy. Give your pup a time out in a crate of gates area when things get to intense. Chloe used to run in from the house jump up on my lap and bite bite bite.

Your pup is beautiful. Very lucky to get a golden at a shelter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You're doing every thing right. I swear they are little flesh eaters! You know what has helped with my second pup... was they had the big dog to gnaw on. HA! Good luck, hang in there.

Reactions: Panama Rob

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
When you put the leash on her do you have a harness or is it hooked to her collar. I would suggest a harness like a easy walk if your not using one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
When you put the leash on her do you have a harness or is it hooked to her collar. I would suggest a harness like a easy walk if your not using one.
A collar. I've bought 2 easy walk harnesses and it seems she is between sizes!! Small is too small even all the way loosened and medium is too big all the way tight :(

Medium almost works... but she is able to get her mouth down under the chest strap then it's stuck there. I've been trying to think of a way to tighten it up, because it will fit fine in a few weeks I'm sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A collar. I've bought 2 easy walk harnesses and it seems she is between sizes!! Small is too small even all the way loosened and medium is too big all the way tight

Medium almost works... but she is able to get her mouth down under the chest strap then it's stuck there. I've been trying to think of a way to tighten it up, because it will fit fine in a few weeks I'm sure.
Tucker had this same issue with the sizing on easy walk... they sell tween size's but I decided to wait out the time until he grew into his large. I tightened the back strap as far as it goes and then adjusted the belly, seemed to work for the week and half it took for him to fill it out. If you don't think you can wait though I'd say check Amazon for one they are a bit cheeper on there.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just wanted to drop by and say your little girl is beautiful! Sounds like things are getting better which is great. I feel your pain. I have quite an excitable girl too. The only thing that worked for me was to be very calm when she started (as well as off lead exercise) - I second the jeans and sweatshirt suggestion! Any yelping or touching her when she was in that mode ramped her up. I noticed you said you were leaving the room but she would start again when you came back - do you then leave again immediately? At one point I think I spent 20/30 min walking in/out of room before she would stop. I used a baby gate so she could see me but not get to me. I would stand with my back to her and if she barked or whined at me I took a step further away (I also had to work on demand barking). Sona caught on quickly with this approach.
The good news your girl sounds very smart and no doubt with all the effort you are putting in when she leaves this stage you will have a great companion at your side.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
A collar. I've bought 2 easy walk harnesses and it seems she is between sizes!! Small is too small even all the way loosened and medium is too big all the way tight :(

They make all kinds of brands. Just keep looking and I bet you will find one that fits. Are you sure you are adjusting it right. A small should work. Our one yearold at 64 lbs is still wearing a medium. If not they make a tween size online. Check out there website for adjusting the small size. Chloe didn't go into a medium until six months. We thought it was to big but we just didn't have it adjusted right.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Want to offer hope and second a few things I read here.

Cooper seem stop all at once at 20 weeks. BUT all his teeth also started falling out at once so when he bit me or the older dog a tooth fell out and it would bleed and I am sure hurt so he stopped and just looked at us sad.

Also yes Cooper bit out older 7 yr old dog even more than us who unfortunately tolerates it and does not correct him. Poor Benjamin has many healing dog bites himself. Cooper has also let up on attacking him this last week.

I expect all baby teeth will be gone by 22 wks in his case.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow, I completely understand all the emotions you are describing. We got our new baby Golden puppy this past Saturday, 4/30, and he just turned 8 weeks old on 5/1. He came to us from a great knowledgeable breeder, the sweetest mama Golden and an adorable litter of 8!

I've had family dogs and puppies growing up (rottie + black lab mixes) so I thought I was familiar with puppy-hood... I was looking forward to the little warm ball of fluff, with puppy breath, who wants tons of snuggles and kisses. But oh boy, our Golden is SO mouthy. He went from little nibbles the first two days he was home with us to full blown biting now. We have cuts, scratches and bloody wounds to prove it.

He bites our pants, sleeves, hands and arms. As for the furniture, woodwork, gates and rugs in the house we've been using the ole trusty Bitter Apple. That definitely deters him from chewing but wears off quickly. Our breeder recommends using a concoction of tea tree oil, water and a drop of Dawn dish soap in small spray bottle and to spray anything we don't want him to chew including our hands and clothing. I just picked up the oil at Whole Foods and we're going to start using that tonight (fingers crossed)! We have been trying to yelp if he bites, telling him no, and providing him with a toy as a replacement. Sometimes we're successful, sometimes we're not. We seem to struggle to distract him when he starts tugging and lightly growling like he's playing tug of war. We were concerned we were maybe giving him too many chew toys that were promoting the stronger biting... but then we started second guessing if we had too little toys to stimulate him so that's why he was turning to us to bite.

Yesterday we felt defeated because we started feeling like he was out of control. Having doubts whether he actually likes us. It wasn't enjoyable to be in the same room with him... we were feeling really stressed out. Also, starting to majorly question if we picked the wrong pup out of the bunch. Not going to lie, I was holding back major tears. I kept telling myself... he hasn't even been with us a week. Of course, there is an adjustment period and I do know pups nibble and bite... but truly I started to feel like he doesn't like us, especially me. Also, he's not affectionate at all. I get a few pats in, maybe a kiss or two when I pick him up to bring him outside... but he doesn't cuddle, doesn't kiss. And I will no way force it on him... but I feel like he doesn't want to bond. Which makes me sad.

My boyfriend and I had this dream dog in our minds before we got our puppy. We did tons of research and decided the Golden's gentle personality was for us. We literally got this dog to be a family dog. We want him to be great with kids and people of all ages. We decided to get the puppy first before we start our family to allow bonding before the attention gets split between him and little ones. Also want him to be great with other animals. Just want a real friendly dog. Honest to god, the biting made us say that he shouldn't be around young kids right now.

I will say, he is a very smart boy. We are crate training which he's doing great at... has had zero accidents in the crate. Only a few accidents in the house, which were really our faults. He does sit when asked... but we haven't been really doing "training" at home yet. We are definitely starting big time this weekend. He is enrolled in Puppy Kindergarten which is a little over two weeks away. We were so frazzled yesterday that we reached out to a trainer to help us one on one. So hopefully we get some useful tips and tricks. Gosh, we need the training as much as our puppy does! That's for sure.

We truly felt defeated and exhausted yesterday but reading all of your stories has lifted my spirits! Hoping that little pup grows out of the biting and becomes a great, gentle companion who likes to be affectionate!

Thanks for sharing your stories, feels nice to know that we aren't suffering alone.

PS: I read some of you mention that you place your pup in the crate for time out... everything we read about crate training says to not use it as punishment. How do you go about the "time out" without it being negative?

***Our little guy's name is Albus, born 3/6/16!***

Attachments

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Time outs shouldnt be punishment. When you do that give your pup some toys and make it a happy place. Your pup also may be tired and acting out like a tired child would. They need tons of sleep at this age. But I gaurantee one day you will wake up and the biting will have stopped. It just takes a couple of months. They also won't be cuddly at this age. You did a good thing getting a puppy now so it will be mature by the time kids come. Don't give up. In a few months you will laugh when looking back at this phase. BTW your puppy is adorable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i promise the biting does stop.... I was thinking that this morning, lying in bed when Jaxson was 'biting' my hand, but actually he was more 'holding' my hand in his mouth. A few months ago, my hands would have been shredded, and he has gradually got better and better, and suddenly we have just realised that he has stopped completely.

Bear with it.

·
Riley
1,023 Posts
People use the phrase "time out" to indicate a break, not the negative connotation you're associating with it. :) It's simply a break for you - so you don't kill the puppy, and the puppy - so they can calm down, and helps teach them an "off switch". It's not a punishment, and it helps if you don't think of it as such. The puppy isn't misbehaving - the puppy is just acting on its innate instincts, unaware that its behavior hurts sensitive human skin. The "time out" helps tell the puppy (who doesn't speak human) that this behavior isn't acceptable toward humans, and doing it results in losing that human contact. Often people find that when they place their puppies in "time out", the puppy falls asleep, because it was tired but didn't know how to stop themselves.

I wanted to add: my "demon" puppy - who turned out to be a very sweet dog - is PHENOMENAL around kids. My youngest brother is almost 5 and he adores her so much.

·
Premium Member
18,568 Posts
Hang in there! He will be all the things you want him to be one day, it just takes a couple of years! I know that sounds disheartening, but it's just reality.

Golden puppies are land sharks, in general they do not want to be held and cuddle. They want to run and jump, bite, and play, and it's all natural and good.

You haven't had the puppy long enough to even begin building a bond, just be patient. It will be worth it!

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's a really tough time but it will get better. Keep up with what you are doing. For my girl, she hated when I left so walking away always helped. When she was teething, giving her a bowl of ice helped a lot too. I think a lot of it is sore gums and once they were soothed for a time by the ice, she would calm down a little. I would also crate sometimes when it seemed like she was acting up/bitey/rambunctious because she was tired. If that was the case, she usually fell asleep pretty quickly. If she didn't fall asleep, I only left her in the crate for 5-10 minutes.

Puppies do need to rest quite a bit and if they won't do it on their own, setting up a rest/nap schedule would be good for them. When you are putting them in for rests, be sure to give them treats and love. They will learn to associate their crate with rest and security and good things.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Wow, I completely understand all the emotions you are describing. We got our new baby Golden puppy this past Saturday, 4/30, and he just turned 8 weeks old on 5/1. He came to us from a great knowledgeable breeder, the sweetest mama Golden and an adorable litter of 8!

I've had family dogs and puppies growing up (rottie + black lab mixes) so I thought I was familiar with puppy-hood... I was looking forward to the little warm ball of fluff, with puppy breath, who wants tons of snuggles and kisses. But oh boy, our Golden is SO mouthy. He went from little nibbles the first two days he was home with us to full blown biting now. We have cuts, scratches and bloody wounds to prove it.

He bites our pants, sleeves, hands and arms. As for the furniture, woodwork, gates and rugs in the house we've been using the ole trusty Bitter Apple. That definitely deters him from chewing but wears off quickly. Our breeder recommends using a concoction of tea tree oil, water and a drop of Dawn dish soap in small spray bottle and to spray anything we don't want him to chew including our hands and clothing. I just picked up the oil at Whole Foods and we're going to start using that tonight (fingers crossed)! We have been trying to yelp if he bites, telling him no, and providing him with a toy as a replacement. Sometimes we're successful, sometimes we're not. We seem to struggle to distract him when he starts tugging and lightly growling like he's playing tug of war. We were concerned we were maybe giving him too many chew toys that were promoting the stronger biting... but then we started second guessing if we had too little toys to stimulate him so that's why he was turning to us to bite.

Yesterday we felt defeated because we started feeling like he was out of control. Having doubts whether he actually likes us. It wasn't enjoyable to be in the same room with him... we were feeling really stressed out. Also, starting to majorly question if we picked the wrong pup out of the bunch. Not going to lie, I was holding back major tears. I kept telling myself... he hasn't even been with us a week. Of course, there is an adjustment period and I do know pups nibble and bite... but truly I started to feel like he doesn't like us, especially me. Also, he's not affectionate at all. I get a few pats in, maybe a kiss or two when I pick him up to bring him outside... but he doesn't cuddle, doesn't kiss. And I will no way force it on him... but I feel like he doesn't want to bond. Which makes me sad.

My boyfriend and I had this dream dog in our minds before we got our puppy. We did tons of research and decided the Golden's gentle personality was for us. We literally got this dog to be a family dog. We want him to be great with kids and people of all ages. We decided to get the puppy first before we start our family to allow bonding before the attention gets split between him and little ones. Also want him to be great with other animals. Just want a real friendly dog. Honest to god, the biting made us say that he shouldn't be around young kids right now.

I will say, he is a very smart boy. We are crate training which he's doing great at... has had zero accidents in the crate. Only a few accidents in the house, which were really our faults. He does sit when asked... but we haven't been really doing "training" at home yet. We are definitely starting big time this weekend. He is enrolled in Puppy Kindergarten which is a little over two weeks away. We were so frazzled yesterday that we reached out to a trainer to help us one on one. So hopefully we get some useful tips and tricks. Gosh, we need the training as much as our puppy does! That's for sure.

We truly felt defeated and exhausted yesterday but reading all of your stories has lifted my spirits! Hoping that little pup grows out of the biting and becomes a great, gentle companion who likes to be affectionate!

Thanks for sharing your stories, feels nice to know that we aren't suffering alone.

PS: I read some of you mention that you place your pup in the crate for time out... everything we read about crate training says to not use it as punishment. How do you go about the "time out" without it being negative?

***Our little guy's name is Albus, born 3/6/16!***

Bitter apple is expensive! What I've been using is my own "bitter apple". It's a mix of 50/50 white vinegar and apple cider vinegar. It does wear off fast but it's much more affordable to reapply!! She HATES it, lol.

Today has been a better day! I've gone through the day with no regrets/questions... which hasn't happened in a while!

I put her little butt on the longline and we stayed outside a long time. She wanted to go in a few times because she heard a motorcycle and it scared her a lot, but I distracted her with.. a broom. Which we then played with for nearly 30 minutes until she was DONE. :p She won't chase balls..stuffies...squeakies... but I discovered she'll chase brooms. I also brought a big bowl of water out that she splashed in.

She did get me once really bad on my upper inner arm, with a lung and front-teeth grab, but I ... think she was aiming at something else, and not at me, this time. And that's one bite today compared to 10..

Anyway, she is beat.

Some photos from today! Someone asked if I was the photographer, yes I am :) It's a hobby... I haven't really touched my camera since my other girl became ill a year ago and recently passed. Feel a bit rusty but Missy is very photogenic !

21 - 40 of 57 Posts