Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello renowned experts of the forum. I'm new here, long time lurker, but first time poster. I actually created an account to just be able to ask this question and many similar questions I'm sure, in the coming months.

So to preface, I lost my heart dog, my beloved Dexter to lymphoma at age 6 this year and I am so utterly devastated. He was my soulmate. His little Pomeranian sister, Deedee, however needs a big Golden brother to run around with again. She misses him dearly, and needs a companion.

I came across these which to my untrained eyes seem extensive, but I would love some help determining if these are good and if I should process with a pup from these two.

LOMAH Daffodil'Split Corona "Cora"
Pedigree: Lomah Daffodil's Split Corona
PBGS Show Me The Money "Cash'
Pedigree: PBGS Show Me The Money SR

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Hello, welcome, and so very sorry for the untimely loss of Dexter. I hope you find a new friend for Deedee soon! I’ve moved your thread to an area of the Forum where you should get more responses.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Full and verifiable health certifications would be hips, elbows, eyes (annually) and heart by Cardiologist. Neither dog actually has that. Both have hips and elbows. Neither has the appropriate Cardiologist heart certification. Unfortunately, both have a deficient practitioner heart certification which is not enough for breeds like Goldens who have death sentence heart disease in the breed. Mom has a current eye certification . Dad shows no eye certifications.

They are doing a better job than some breeders but not as much as you could expect from a reputable preservation breeder. To me personally, the deficient heart certifications would be a deal breaker but your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, welcome, and so very sorry for the untimely loss of Dexter. I hope you find a new friend for Deedee soon! I’ve moved your thread to an area of the Forum where you should get more responses.
Thank you, so much for the help. So very new to this. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Full and verifiable health certifications would be hips, elbows, eyes (annually) and heart by Cardiologist. Neither dog actually has that. Both have hips and elbows. Neither has the appropriate Cardiologist heart certification. Unfortunately, both have a deficient practitioner heart certification which is not enough for breeds like Goldens who have death sentence heart disease in the breed. Mom has a current eye certification . Dad shows no eye certifications.

They are doing a better job than some breeders but not as much as you could expect from a reputable preservation breeder. To me personally, the deficient heart certifications would be a deal breaker but your mileage may vary.

Thanks for weighing in. It's starting to feel like finding a spot on a good wait list is a near impossible task. I think the hardest part has been just reading the certs and making sense of it all, seeing how many generations are accounted for, looking at siblings. It's kind of overwhelming. If you have any recommendations for waitlists I should try to get on, I'd love some. I'm not limiting the search to a specific area, I'll drive anywhere in the US.

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
Thanks for weighing in. It's starting to feel like finding a spot on a good wait list is a near impossible task. I think the hardest part has been just reading the certs and making sense of it all, seeing how many generations are accounted for, looking at siblings. It's kind of overwhelming. If you have any recommendations for waitlists I should try to get on, I'd love some. I'm not limiting the search to a specific area, I'll drive anywhere in the US.
It is a task to learn to read OFA data and take from it all that's there. To do that well, you almost have to know the pedigrees so you can see if there is a preponderance of great or horrible in the planned breeding. And with breeders who do just P clearances, that's basically zero cardiac info and for me too it would be a deal breaker. I know too many homes that have purchased pups from cardiac risk scenarios and lost the animal out of the blue to a SAS or the like.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
And with breeders who do just P clearances, that's basically zero cardiac info and for me too it would be a deal breaker. I know too many homes that have purchased pups from cardiac risk scenarios and lost the animal out of the blue to a SAS or the like.
Apologies for a partial hi-jacking of this thread, but...

Most of "the regulars" on this forum know that we purchased a puppy under just that scenario (i.e., most of the heart clearances in her background were "practitioner" vice "cardiologist"). Now that Kona has been cleared by an echocardiogram performed by a cardiologist, are we "okay" for concerns about potential heart issues (i.e., did we successfully dodge that bullet)? I know there are no 100% scenarios, but I am hoping that Kona having her heart cleared is as-good-or-better than having her parents' cardiac clearances.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is a task to learn to read OFA data and take from it all that's there. To do that well, you almost have to know the pedigrees so you can see if there is a preponderance of great or horrible in the planned breeding. And with breeders who do just P clearances, that's basically zero cardiac info and for me too it would be a deal breaker. I know too many homes that have purchased pups from cardiac risk scenarios and lost the animal out of the blue to a SAS or the like.
Seems I have a lot to read up on regarding pedigrees. Thanks for also weighing in.

·
Registered
9,353 Posts
SoCalEngr, sweet Kona has dodged the SAS bullet- and I am so happy for you!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome! So sorry about your loss of Dexter. Most of us here have been there and understand your grief. I've lost 4 beautiful goldens in the past 20 years, and now waiting (not so patiently!) for my next puppy. I can offer you a recommendation of a breeder. I'm on a list for Harvestimes Kennel (harvestimeskennel.com) in Wisconsin. My puppy will be born in the next few weeks and I can hardly wait! I got on Deb's list back in June. She closed her list for a while, but I believe she has it open again. I'm pretty sure a few folks on here have a pup from her. She has all the clearances for her dogs, and I have been very happy with her communication. Check out her website, and see if she might be someone you'd like to deal with. She has 4 kennels that she runs with her adult children, 2 in Wisconsin, and 1 in Minnesota and another in Montana. I'm not sure how long it might be to get a puppy, but at least it's a start! Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welcome! So sorry about your loss of Dexter. Most of us here have been there and understand your grief. I've lost 4 beautiful goldens in the past 20 years, and now waiting (not so patiently!) for my next puppy. I can offer you a recommendation of a breeder. I'm on a list for Harvestimes Kennel (harvestimeskennel.com) in Wisconsin. My puppy will be born in the next few weeks and I can hardly wait! I got on Deb's list back in June. She closed her list for a while, but I believe she has it open again. I'm pretty sure a few folks on here have a pup from her. She has all the clearances for her dogs, and I have been very happy with her communication. Check out her website, and see if she might be someone you'd like to deal with. She has 4 kennels that she runs with her adult children, 2 in Wisconsin, and 1 in Minnesota and another in Montana. I'm not sure how long it might be to get a puppy, but at least it's a start! Good luck!
Oops! The website is harvestimekennel.com. Her name is Debra Zierler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the recommendation Elaine. I’ll give that one a shot after some browsing on the site. I appreciate it. I’m excited for you and your new pup. Hope you’ll post pictures once the pup arrives.

Nobody tells you this pain is going to be so much harder than you ever could’ve imagined. Eagerly awaiting the possibility of a pup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts