Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my male golden of 9 has been acting a lot different over the past 6 months. He doesnt always eat his food always, mopes around the house, and he has been breathing very oddly. This is what concerns me, i was sitting in another room of the house when i heard these very loud deep breaths. He sometimes lets out a sigh but these were 6-7 loud bursts of air through his nose. Its hard to explain but this is how it would be if you or i were to experience it. close your mouth and breathe as hard as you could through your nose and then breathe in as hard as you could through your nose. he did this a couple of times even as i pet him. im extremely concerned because we have taken him to the vet and nothing seems to be wrong but i feel something is.

If someone can please get back to me with any information reguarding what my dog is going through i would be forever greatful.

Thanks
Brandon

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It sounds like you are describing a "Reverse Sneeze" which is pretty common. The lethargy does not sound normal and should be looked into further.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I am sorry that your boy had not been acting himself.
I would say: go with your gut feeling. I instinctively know when something is not right with my dogs. You know your dog best and if you think something is amiss, it probably is.
Maybe get a second opinion from another vet?
Has your vet done bloodwork, x-rays, ultrasound?
I wish you good luck for your boy and that if something is wrong, it will be taken care of!

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
sorry, no advice here, but is he over weight, is he bored, getting enough exercise, anything changed at all ?? perhaps a second opinion as nobody knows your dog like you do

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
I'd get him to another vet if I was as concerned as you seem to be. As highly as I regard the members of this forum without a complete physical exam,hands on,I think it would be very difficult to diagnose the problem. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone here can steer you in the right direction.

I hope it's nothing serious.

Pete

·
Kristy
9,917 Posts
You've been given great advice, hopefully it's nothing serious, why don't you take him in this week and have him given a complete work up... At the very least, it's worth your peace of mind.... at most you could save his life. Please let us know what you find out. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for your replies.
its humbling knowing there are people out there that i will more than likely never meet that care enough to help out how you all have. i will be taking him to another vet when i can which shouldnt be too long.
thank you all again for your words.
Brandon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts