Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Please help us

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  mybuddy 
#1 · (Edited)
we have a golden and or vet said he has lymphoma cancer and going down hill
fast we are giving him shots weekly they were helping the first couple of weeks he started eating and drinking again but now the shot is not working i am laid off and can't afford to do anything really expenceive for him.are vet said they have removed these lumps before on other dogs but just come back so it would not be anygood for him we love are goldens and don't know what to do are there any vets on this site that have a different oppinion thanks
any advice is urgent and greatly needed and his time is fading fast thanks so much mark and mary

#4 ·
OK...thanks...Cindy ( the owner of the dog from this thread ) might be able to offer some advice.

I know it must be a very scary time for you. Stay calm...there might be a solution for you.

How about asking your vet if there are any trial studies in your area...anyway, I will let you read this thread and see if you can come up with an answer

Good luck.

#7 ·
Welcome to the forum,
I am sorry you had to find us due to your pups diagnosis. I agree with someone else that said to find if there are any vet colleges that might be able to help with a clinical study. Cancer just sucks and I hate that it takes to many people and our lovely animals.

#8 ·
I am so sorry to read about your golden friend's sad diagnosis. Many of us hear have lost a golden to cancer, and it is such a grieving process for the humans, though the dogs can do remarkably well. I think the shot was possibly prednisone, in which case chemo etc wouldnt be helpful. Our canine oncologist is a big advocate of high protein, grain free feeding for cancer patient dogs bc there's lots of evidence saying cancer thrives on carbohydrates. For me, handling as cancer diagnosis meant really guarding against pain for my dogs, and finding the courage to say goodbye before suffering occurred. It's a tough time for your household, and I am so very sorry.

#9 ·
Sometimes,letting them go,is the kinder thing to do!.
I just let mine go,on Friday cos she had cancer and the vet confirmed that nothing could be done,to help!.
It was a hell of a decision to take but,I knew it was the right one.

#10 ·
I am so sorry for the diagnosis. I lost my sweet golden, Sandy to cancer in 2007. I hate cancer. I hope you can keep your guy pain free and find a study that may help.

#11 ·
In fear of sounding cold, if your golden is a senior, it might be time to let him go. You mentioned the shots are no longer helping so he may be past the time to hope for remission. I lost my golden this past July, that call to the vet for her final appointment was the hardest call I've ever made. She was almost 14 y.o. I'm comforted knowing she's young and healthy again running and playing at Rainbow Bridge.

#12 ·
First of all, I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this.

Can you fill us in on all the specifics that you might know. Type of lymphoma and stage. Age of your dog. Meds that he's on...I'm assumimg the shots he's getting now are dexamethasone. How long has this been going on?

#13 ·
Hi, Mark - it's Cindy. I thought we'd keep this on your thread so people know where to look to post.

So,

1. What's your baby's name?
  2. How old is he/she?
  3. When was he/she diagnosed?
  4. Do you know if it's B or T celled lymphoma?
  5. Do you know the stage and what areas i.e. organs, etc. are affected?
  6. There is help out there for people with limited funds. I was amazed -no - astounded and dismayed to find out how much chemo cost.
  7. What does your vet say (not that they have the final answer)
  8. Any supplements and/or special diets?
  9. Any other medical issues?
I'm so sorry. I'll be looking for your answers. In the meantime - I'll just be praying for you guys. What a kick in the gut - like you can't breath. We understand.

Also, here is another link http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LymphomaHeartDogs/ that might help a bit.

Cindy

#16 ·
Please, Mark - tell us about your "puppy". Did you see my questions a couple of posts up? It's hard to know how to give any kind of direction without at least some of these answered. How is your dog feeling? Still eating and drinking fine? Any signs of distress?

I just went back and read your first post. I'm sorry I didn't note before that your dog is a male. And, it sounds like he's really not feeling very well at all now. Please answer the above questions when you have time, okay? I'm really sorry - you sound just so sad and he sounds so sick. Please come back, we can help you through this - whatever you have to or can do.

I am by no means an expert but I all of a sudden was thrown into a place where I had to learn what I could. Many others here have gone through this and can be of great help to you.

Cindy

#17 ·
I'm very concerned! Where are you, is your fella okay?

#18 ·
As another one of us who has lost a sweet golden to cancer I know what a hard time you are going through.

Before Dawn was diagnosed with lymphoma I never knew that they could get cancer. Because I was unaware of the potential diagnosis that apparently is quite common I brought my sweet girl at nine years of age to a special hospital a few hours away and left her there for two days for diagnosis.

I wish I never had because those were two days near the end of her life which I wish I could take back and give to her and us. So I still feel guilt 15 years later which I probably shouldn't because I was at the time only trying to figure out what was wrong with her. I was told to take her home and enjoy every moment left.

You have to be the advocate for your sweetheart because if not you, then who.
You are the best person to judge and my heart goes out to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.