Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Puerto Rico and there are a TON of feral 'Sato' dogs here. I think the last count I heard was 100,000 stray dogs. And counting. Needless to say it's extremely common to see them wandering about the streets and beaches all over the island. And seeing them dead on the side of a highway is just another terrible yet common aspect of this problem. There are only a couple shelters on the island, one of them got shut down because it had too many dogs. Animals are just not treated the same as in the states by many people here... So here is my dilemma...and I really need opinions here!!!

Today I went to the beach for a walk and on the way back to the truck I saw this beautiful male Sato. Normally I just ignore them and continue on my way, or shoo them even. This one though, he was so pretty. I stopped to say hi and he trotted over to me. I went to the truck and got a treat I happened to have and gave it to him. He accepted and just sat there, looking at me. I scritched him briefly on the head and it was like he saw God. The look in his eyes, he was so grateful for the attention. He followed me a bit begging for more attention but gave up quickly.

So of course I want to take this dog home. And of course my husband is the voice of reason. He can be a bit negative and intolerant sometimes but also rational. He said, the dog may have fleas or ticks or mange or ringworms, who knows what? Plus he is wild he won't want to be in a house. I just don't see this. He was skinny and hot and hungry and flea-ridden, he didn't want to be there, he just didn't have a choice. I know he would be grateful for whatever I could give him. And no one else will give him a chance. If I don't rescue him he will get hit by a car or die of starvation or heat exhaustion. And as for the fleas...well, I've never dealt with that before. But it can't be so bad, right? Give him a couple good baths and some flea meds. But will he shed fleas all over the house? How would I deal with this (hypothetically)? As for anything else, vet treatment here is cheap. He seemed healthy aside from whatever was making him itchy and he is underfed. But how should I know? What if he has Parvo or something awful?

The biggest problem is Oliver. Oliver is my 3.5 month old Yorkie puppy. He is due for his final shots this Saturday. Bringing this dog into my house could pose risk to him. I can quarantine him of course and be extra careful but still the risk would be there even if small.

So what do I do? This dog tugged at my heart...and has my thoughts racing. I can't stop thinking about him. I almost cried when I left him sitting there in the parking lot. I think my husband would be very unhappy with me but he is a firm believer in the "do whatever makes you happy" mantra. The poor guy was just so pathetic....so starved for attention and food. I'm going to feel like a terrible person if I don't so anything...but then I can't save everything can I? What of the other two Satos that were on the same beach...don't they deserve a chance too? I can't rescue everything...is saving one dog going to do anything more than satisfy me for awhile?

I just need to hear some thoughts from other people...this whole thing has me so upset I'm afraid I'm not thinking rationally...

here is a cell phone pic. Any ideas on what breeds he is??

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
you are asking a group of soft-hearted mushy dog lovers that have not listened to reason, relatives or reality and have taken in all sorts of dogs, and other animals. Of course we will say take this dog in and give him a chance. if you can only save one starfish at a time..... you're still saving one!!!!!!!!!!

beth, moose and angel

p.s. husbands are an easy fix, just look at him with puppy eyes......... worked for the stray didn't it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What to do what to do....my hubby will simply kill me if I take this dog. Fleas and mangy dirty dogs gross him out. Plus we worry about Oliver....

Oh man....this is hard...

plus I don't have a muzzle or a crate or anything...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I went back. There are 3 Satos there right now. One is a female pit mix, another is a male who looks like a medium terrier (looks like Benji to me), and my little guy. I brought them some treats and hung out with him for a bit. Poor boy is COVERED in fleas. He has a medium length but very thick coat and I saw fleas just crawling in and out of his fur.

My worry is that he is living with a dog who looks like he is near death (the Benji looking dog), he looks like he has mange or something and has some open wounds on his ear. Plus the area they are living in is right next to a 55mph highway that is always very busy. We drive that road a lot and long ago we named it "dead dog road" because of all the kills you see there.

I think tomorrow I will go to the vet with some flea meds and get some spray and go over to him. If he didn't have fleas my hubby might be a little more forgiving. But the fact that he is swarming with them is not going to help my case. And I'll admit, it gives me the major heebs. I've lived in Alaska all my life and never had to deal with fleas or bugs in general.

·
Kate
21,229 Posts
I'm more concerned about the mange than the fleas.

Our cat was a barn drop off when he was a 4 or 5 month old kitten. Between his first home and living in the barn a short while he was completely covered with fleas. They were swimming in droves through his hair.

I gave him a flea bath when we got home and that and the flea meds did the job. If you pick up the dog, you could wrap him in a towel or blanket (if he will allow you) to contain the fleas as best as possible.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
If you give him a good thorough bath before you bring him into the house then your husband doesn't need to worry about the fleas. Soap kills them off (regular ol' dish detergent will work, although a shampoo designed for flea treatment may be a good idea here), and they're not going to magically crop up on the dog without a source. He is BEAUTIFUL, so sweet looking. Assure your husband that if you give the dog a good scrub before allowing him into your home that the fleas will be gone. Is there anywhere you can bathe him that's not in your house or in the yard?

The mange looking wounds near the other dog's ear may very well be simply from him scratching himself so much b/c of the fleas. When my dog had fleas she scratched so much that she bled.

He is so sweet looking. I would be careful if you do decide to bring him home to keep him separate from your yorkie until you had the new dog in for a vet check. You certainly don't want to introduce any new diseases to your other dog. Furthermore, you don't know the temperament of the dog with other dogs, and you need to be careful with that.

Thank you for caring about this poor guy. I think he looks part golden retriever.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
He is a sweet looking guy! He doesn't look very big to me. He reminds me of a papillon dog or a sheltie mix.

Can you get capstar down there? If so, you could give him a capstar and then give him a bath and you'll have the flea issue under control. I agree that it's likely that the other dog has just scratched himself raw instead of it being mange, though there's always a possibility that he does have mange.

Good luck whatever you decide. Thank you for caring about him.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My hubby and my mother-in-law both think it's a bad idea. They say "you can't save them all" and worry about Oliver, my yorkie puppy. =(

I have to do something...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. When my hubby gets home I'm just going to say "Look, I understand your logic but I HAVE to help this dog. I'm going to. If you don't want him in our home then fine but I am going to do what I can."

He might not understand but he won't ever tell me what I can and can't do. I have my own money but he pays all of the bills (I don't work), so I'm not going to force this dog into our home if he doesn't want it here.

In the very least I will get him some flea meds and get him neutered.

·
Kimberley, Bella's Mum!
1,002 Posts
I've been giving this some thought. If all else fails, and your hubby really puts his foot down and says "no way", a (good) marriage comes first. Perhaps you could do what some volunteer groups do with homeless people. They go to them routinely to offer food & love. This could be your mission. Perhaps you could find a vet to give spay & neuters for free, or start a fund raiser to do it. ??? Or a fund raiser to provide medical attn, or simply food and water. Maybe these dogs never get off the streets, but you did what you could. Sounds like you have a kind and gentle heart. See what you can do. Good luck to you, and many blessings on your journey!

·
Teddy and Dakota's Mommy
493 Posts
I just wanted to tell you what happened to us...Both my husband and I were very happy with our older dog, Teddy and our Golden, Dakota. We were walking into a medical building as I was going to have a procedure done and heard some meowing. I told my husband just keep walking, which we did. I had my procedure and I awoke from anesthesia to my 5 year old son telling me that we had a baby kitten at our house. My husband, who is definitely not a cat person, stopped on the way out to see what the meowing was about and found a very, very tiny kitten tangled in the bush. He took her out of the bush and put her on the ground. She instantly ran to our son and started purring. After trying to walk away from her a few times, she ran into the road. At this point, my husband took her home with them and figured we would bring her to a shelter. The shelters refused to take her and said if we did bring her then they would euthanize her because she was less than a pound. I was so mad at him for "saving" this kitten as she needed constant supervision, to be held constantly and needed to be treated like a baby.
I'm telling you this because, 4 months later, Sunny is now such a huge part of our life that I can't imagine what our house would be like without her. She gives me so much joy and she was brought into our life for some reason. She has imprinted on me and is definitely my cat...it is very possible that this dog will imprint on your husband.
My husband knew I would be pissed but also knew that I was an animal lover so I would eventually come around. I agree to be cautious about your other puppy and maybe call your vet and bring the dog straight to your vet to be checked out first to make sure their is nothing contagious (besides fleas) but often times this little animals are put in our paths for a reason.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
It is true you cannot save them all, but it really matters to the one you do save!

Can you take this dog straight to the vet to get checked out and defleaed? (is that a word??). Um, get a flea bath and checked for disease? That may make it more tolerable to your husband as long as you have the money to do it.

Otherwise, try not to beat yourself up about it. This is one reason I have a hard time visiting countries that have feral dogs; it breaks my heart. I can't have a nice vacation knowing there is poverty and suffering right outside a 'resort'.

I also know many people who have brought dogs back to the mainland. Same story..the one dog just connected with them somehow. They always made the best pets as it appears they realized how much their lives changed...for the better.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I couldn't sleep for thinking of him last night.

I went back around 9:30 my time. He wasn't there. Mama (the pitt mix) was there but my little guy was nowhere to be seen. I walked up and down the beach and waited about an hour. No luck =(

I wish I knew why. Maybe someone else picked him up, maybe he's dead, maybe he was just far away. But I don't know.

I may go back around 1pm. He was there at 2ish yesterday, maybe he has a schedule.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Ak

Ak

I hope you keep going back until you see him and can get him!
He is beautiful. You could take him straight to vet to be checked for fleas, and get his shots, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to keep going back. I am so restless right now, I can't hardly concentrate on anything else.

The vet said they do a 'flea dip' and it takes all day, so I'd have to bring him in the morning and pick him up around 4. He couldn't elaborate because his English was limited.

If he's there at 2 I'm still going to try to nab him and go to the vet anyway. See if I can at least talk them into bathing him for me.

If I see him I am going to give him a melatonin in some cheese to help calm him down before I try to take him anywhere. I have a very light dosage I can try.

I hope he is there...

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Slip lead

Do you have a slip collar and leash to put on him in case he comes to you?
I would take lots of treats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't. I am going to fashion one though, won't be hard.

He will definitely come to me. Now whether or not he will let me pick him up, that's a different story...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts