Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I apologize if I'm not doing this right. I have little experience with forums but we are turning to the internet when our vet is giving little to no information. We recently adopted a golden puppy from a rescue. Little information was given to us besides that he was AKC but couldn't be sold by his breeder because of his slight underbite. We knew he was a little undersized as well but we figured it was just from his rough start.

Fast forward to him being almost 16 weeks. He has undergone a couple treatments for Coccidia (one before we got him that involved hospitalization, most likely due to neglect :|) and he was still having loose stool/blood in stool. He also recently developed these patches of fur on his back, shown in the pictures. Almost looks like adult hair but it comes along with patches of severe hair loss. Also has a patch of fur missing from above his eye. Vet test for mites came back negative and he is on K9 Advantix II. Anyone have any idea what might be causing this?

Also, he is still a little guy (about 16 lbs at 15 weeks) and our vet brought up in passing pituitary dwarfism which obviously has us freaked out. Any info would be very much appreciated. I could go into much more detail if need be, I just didn't want to write a essay. We just want our guy to be as healthy as possible. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. I've not had a lot to do with dwarf puppies, though I have come across a couple of dwarf cows. This article may be helpful - Dwarfism in Dogs | Canine Short in Stature
The information in there seems to agree with the symptoms you describe, such as hair problems. By the way, the photo of your boy's hair loss above his eye looks more like a scar to me. You did say he had a rough start before you got him. I'm very glad you have got each other now.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I think it's time for a new vet. Did your vet do skin scrapings? To me the hair loss could be mange, if not itchy demodex if he's really itchy, sarcoptic which is also contagious. As for the small size, the parasites (coccidia) could easily be attributing to the stunted growth. There may be other parasites such as giardia which is difficult to get a positive reading on the test based on the lifecycle.

Which rescue did you go through? Perhaps if you give us a general location we can point you to a different vet

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
One skin scraping might not tell anything. The vet needs to try again and in different locations. The hair loss around the eyes, specifically, looks like mange to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Wow,

Thanks to the quick reply's from everyone so far. Not sure if I have to tag people specifically or not but thank you to everyone. We got him from Dumped Dogs in Canton, OH but we are currently located in Akron, OH. The vet took scrapings from the above the eye location, as well as two separate spots on his back. All came back negative for mites, at least from what he saw. We are waiting on advanced stool sample results that they sent to a lab. Hopefully we will get those back in the next 24-48 hrs. When they tested it at the vet, he only saw one or two coccidia but he also said "there was some things he didn't recognize"

We don't care if he turns out to be small for his age/breed, we just want him to be healthy. Anything we can do now to help him get out of the woods, especially if it contributes to him being a healthy adult, we will do (with the one downside of not having tons of funds for vet bills). As far as our current vet goes, I think we are in agreement with trying to find someone new once these test results come back.

Thank you all for your continued help!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm not to far from where you're located. I was'nt aware of a place called Dumped dogs. Is it a rescue site? I think all that are reading are glad your pup got a new home with you. Once you have a golden, you become truly hooked on them! I use Mogadore Vet, you might want to try them if it's not to far for you. Keep us posted on what you find out.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
In my experience, I have found that coccidia makes small puppies, and it can be difficult to successfully treat. Once successfully treated, they catch up in size and weight. Given all of his issues, I would not be surprised if he were to have demodectic mange either, which is not itchy and not contagious. Both coccidia and demodectic can be triggered by stress, and it sounds like your poor puppy has had plenty of both.

I would recommend a new vet if this one cannot help quickly. I once had 2 puppies almost die from sarcoptic mange, because my vet could not diagnose it, even after numerous skin scrapings and the fact that they were scratching themselves bloody. I found another vet, who diagnosed sarcoptic mange and began treatment immediately. While not itchy, if demodectic mange is allowed to spread, it can becomegeneralized rather than localized. Generalized demodectic mange can be extremely serious.

However, saying that the breeder could not sell him because of a slight underbite is a crock. He couldn't be shown with an underbite but could certainly be a great pet with a slight underbite. This leads me to fear that perhaps there is something more seriously wrong with him, and that is why the "breeder" dumped him in rescue.

Good luck with your puppy, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm not to far from where you're located. I was'nt aware of a place called Dumped dogs. Is it a rescue site? I think all that are reading are glad your pup got a new home with you. Once you have a golden, you become truly hooked on them! I use Mogadore Vet, you might want to try them if it's not to far for you. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Thank you for your response! Dumped Dogs is the website and they advertise in the Akron Beacon (where my Mom originally notified us of the listing). They work a lot with the Amish so we think he was a puppy mill "reject" for sure. Mogadore Vet is fairly close to us! I hate to make money a issue, but being a young couple who just bought a house recently, we don't have all the funds in the world. Are they somewhat affordable in your experience? After hearing what everyone has to say so far, we are definitely in the market for a new vet.

In my experience, I have found that coccidia makes small puppies, and it can be difficult to successfully treat. Once successfully treated, they catch up in size and weight. Given all of his issues, I would not be surprised if he were to have demodectic mange either, which is not itchy and not contagious. Both coccidia and demodectic can be triggered by stress, and it sounds like your poor puppy has had plenty of both.

I would recommend a new vet if this one cannot help quickly. I once had 2 puppies almost die from sarcoptic mange, because my vet could not diagnose it, even after numerous skin scrapings and the fact that they were scratching themselves bloody. I found another vet, who diagnosed sarcoptic mange and began treatment immediately. While not itchy, if demodectic mange is allowed to spread, it can becomegeneralized rather than localized. Generalized demodectic mange can be extremely serious.

However, saying that the breeder could not sell him because of a slight underbite is a crock. He couldn't be shown with an underbite but could certainly be a great pet with a slight underbite. This leads me to fear that perhaps there is something more seriously wrong with him, and that is why the "breeder" dumped him in rescue.

Good luck with your puppy, and keep us posted!
Thank you for all of the info! We are hoping to get test results back on the fecal lab today or tomorrow. Once we have those we will absolutely be looking to find a new vet. Hopefully they can continue to help him kick whatever intestinal bug he has as well as diagnose his skin issues. It would make sense to me that its some form of mange so I guess they will have to do a scraping again.

As far as his first home, we were originally told by the rescue that he was admitted to the vet hospital due to swallowing a rubber toy and had to be on IV's until it passed (he had shaved arms). When I did more digging to get those records for our vet, turns out there is no record of the rubber toy story, but he was hospitalized for days due to Coccidia (and most likely neglect). So our guess at that point whoever it was decided it was easier to send him to a rescue with that story rather than sink more money into him. We are hoping beyond hope that its nothing more serious than a few GI issues and he can grow to be a happy and healthy member of our family. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
I am so glad he's with someone who will love and care for him. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UPDATE: The vet just called with the test results. They found a VERY high count of Giardia in his stool lab. We are switching to a aggressive dose of medication to hopefully knock this out. He said that this could also explain the issues with his coat and also walked back his claims of thyroid/brain stem issues. We are hoping that this will be the course of action that finally gets him back on track, we just need to make sure he's not reinfecting himself. He's very good at going potty outside when we are home but sometimes has accidents in his cage (even on work days we are home every 4-5 hours to let him out, just sometimes with the loose stool he's not able to hold it) when he does have a accident he is getting rid of the evidence (gross). We are hoping as his stool firms up with the help of pumpkin and a new diet he will be able to control his bowels a little better. Until then, does anyone have any suggestions to discourage him eating his accident? We already have a divider in his kennel to limit his space. Also anyone that has had experience with severe giardia infections we would like to hear how it worked out for you and if you had any additional problems linked to it. Once again, we thank you all for your well wishes and advice.

·
Jamie
506 Posts
I think the hair loss looks like sarcoptic mange to me. I had two foster puppies with it and neither showed up on the skin scrapings, but we still treated for it as these puppies were from the reservation and its common for them to have it.

The treatment is pretty easy, just one dose of revolution (its a topical similar to frontline) followed by a bath after 24-48 hours, then another one two weeks later. Then we usually did another one a month after that to make sure we knocked it out. If he is continuing to itch aggressively then I would consider treating for that. Revolution also treats heartworms so you would want to make sure he is negative before dosing him with that as treating for heartworms if they are positive can be very dangerous.

Usually the vets make mange out to be very scary, but as long as you are careful and don't let the puppy sleep in your bed you should be fine. My other dog didn't get it from them and they were at my house for two weeks before we figured out they had it.

Best of luck, I hope your little guy starts feeling better soon!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,576 Posts
There is likely no kibble that he will tolerate at this time so you'll probably have to switch to a bland diet for a while. Put him on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a while until his stools are solid. Keep him on the diet until his digestive tract has a chance to stabilize and repopulate with the normal bacteria needed for normal digestion. Then you can slowly re-introduce kibble.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is likely no kibble that he will tolerate at this time so you'll probably have to switch to a bland diet for a while. Put him on a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a while until his stools are solid. Keep him on the diet until his digestive tract has a chance to stabilize and repopulate with the normal bacteria needed for normal digestion. Then you can slowly re-introduce kibble.
Thank you for the advice. We started him on new meds for the Giardia last night as well as switched him over to the chicken and rice diet (plus some pumpkin). He's not thrilled about not being able to chow down on his kibble but he will get over it. We also have been taking major precautions on sanitizing our house/yard so that we can hopefully knock out the gut bugs this time around!

As far as the vet goes, we have an appointment 8/7 with a new vet that comes highly recommended so hopefully she will listen to all of the info we have acquired as well as take the time to look him over nose to tail to confirm whats going on with the suspected mange. We are also hoping that will a better diet and the parasites gone, this improves as well.

·
RobinM
92 Posts
Will yogurt help recolonize the good bacteria, like it does in humans? Kefir is also very good at increasing the population of good bugs.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
Will yogurt help recolonize the good bacteria, like it does in humans? Kefir is also very good at increasing the population of good bugs.
No. Yogurt does not make it through the dogs digestive tract still LIVING (or so my vet says) but there are gut flora you can buy that the dogs can have. We've had a great success with fortaflora.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our vet has Cooper on a 15 day supply of the Purina ProPlan fortiflora. Not sure if its helping or not with all his other issues but certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
12,989 Posts
Our vet has Cooper on a 15 day supply of the Purina ProPlan fortiflora. Not sure if its helping or not with all his other issues but certainly can't hurt.
My pup had giardia and coccidia, but my vet did not start us on the FortiFlora until all the meds were done. So we did all the treatments, her poops were back to normal, she was on a bland vet diet - and THEN we started to add the FortiFlora. And it did definitely help. But it can't be taken at the same time as some antibiotics, as they can cancel each other out.

Reactions: rooroch
1 - 17 of 17 Posts