Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a one year old dog, he still isnt toilet trained. I have tried all the training methods. He goes to the toilet outside when he wants too but not on command, I have tried many times to teach him but I am just not getting through. Before he goes to bed I let him outside, I ususally wait for him to do his business for about 20 mins, he usually just lies down outside and doesnt go to the toilet. Then thinking he does not need the toilet, I let him in. He then willfully walks in to his cage. At about 4 am every morning he barks, and he doesnt stop or pause for breath. I leave him to bark for a while to show him that he will not get attention for barking, I have to eventually go down to tell him off for barking. When i go down at 4am I find that he has gone to the loo in his cage.

Before putting Freddie in a cage at night time he was allowed to be in the utility room with the other two dogs. When he was allowed to sleep in the utility room without a cage he did the same thing. He barked at 4 in the morning, at this time I went down to him straight away to find that he had already done his business. This is how the decision to put him in his cage came about.

About a week ago he did his business on the carpet in an upstaris bedroom. I was furious. I took him to where he had been to the toilet and I told him NO. I then took him outside to where I wanted him to go to the toilet. Three days later I found that he had done it again.

I don't know what else I can do, he doesnt seem to be learning. I am worried that this will never stop. I don't know why he does this, in the day he gets lots of attention and excercise and he always has a waggy tail. Is he just stupid?? Or am I doing something wrong?? Please help.... what should I do??

Ellie

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Sorry you are having problems with your golden boy, perhaps you need to rule out any infection firstly.My two retreivers sleep inside and I take them both out before bedtime at night and Hudson almost always pitter patters up to me and needs me to take him out, he has rarely sleeps through, although he has no accidents inside.
I guess some retraining may be in order and help Freddie and reward him verbally and a treat is he does go outside and always take him to the same place.
Hope other members can also offer some help for you and this frustrating problem.

·
Premium Member
16,421 Posts
One thing to try is starting from scratch, as if he were an 8 week old puppy. Give him zero chances to go inside by setting your alarm to take him out every few hours. Every time he goes in the house, he untrains himself, so the trick is to make sure it doesnt happen. Try tethering him right to you, so he is always with you, and maybe tethering him at night right by your bed, If you get him through a week or two only pottying outside, that habit will establish itself. Lots of praise for going outside- no use getting mad unless you catch him right in the act inside. Also, make his last meal in the afternoon- no food after 5 pm. Good luck!

·
<3 Love my boys x
241 Posts
Also when you take him outside to toilet take him on a lead and walk him up and down till he goes, it will prevent him from lying down and not going to the toilet. No talking or playing around just walking so he will learn that it isn't fun time but toilet time. Of course praise when he does go and then straight back inside. Setting your alarm is also a good idea. Seeing as he seems to start barking at 4am make sure you take him out at say 3am BEFORE he has an accident.

Good luck it must be SO frustrating especially if he is a year old already.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
First of all welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place for support and ideas.
I am sorry you are going through this.. it must be exhasperating.
The 2 previous post have really good suggestions.
Let's look at it through the dog's eyes. I don't think he is doing this intentionally to bug you. He has to poo at 4... What are the feeding times? Maybe you could bump them around a little. I agree with walk on lead untill they go.. For a lot of reasons. He needs to know he did right , puts a word to it so they will eventually go on command, and you will know he has gone.
Evercise gets them going.. bowels, too. Is he getting some exercise in the eveings?
Is he barking to tell you he has gone and can't stand to be in there any more.. or he needed to go.. then couldn't hold it any longer and now now wants out... Think it through. They really don't want to be in their own mess.
Be sure and clean any areas where he may have gone in the past with a good deoderizer made for dog waste clean up. They do tend to form habits.
Are you feeding any snacks that might make him go... like table scraps, fatty trats, dairy, etc.?
I sure hope this turns aeound for you fast.. I know it is teririble. Best of luck to you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts