Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm looking at my puppy's parents' Pennhip scores. The moms is .62/.53, and the dads is .47/.43. I am unsure whether or not this is a good score. I tried googling and am still confused.
I'm embarrassed and upset with myself for not looking at this before adopting my puppy, and rather blindly following the breeder and vet's word.
Please let me know if this is a good or bad score, I'd appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
840 Posts
Pennhip bases upon laxity and compares it to all the dogs of that breed they have tested on a scale of 0 to 1.

So .7 to 1 is high risk fo HD, .5 - .7 is medium risk, .3 - .5 is mild risk and then the breed averages are placed on the scale.

So Goldens, as a breed measured by Pennhip, tend to be around .5 and then Pennhip tells you what percentile your dog falls into.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
PennHIP recommendation for breeders looking to improve hips to only use Dogs with scores below the breed average DI and as close to 0 as possible. They also use the higher (worse) of the two DI Numbers as the measure. The breed average DI for Goldens has been .55 for quite some time. Dogs with.51 to .54 scores are still in the moderate risk category. .31 to .50 is mild risk. The goal truly would be 0-.30 which is low risk.

So, your Puppy’s father would be scored on his worst hip which is .47 and he would follow the PennHIP recommendation as a breeding dog assuming other heath results are good. Mom would be outside the PennHIP recommendation as she would be scored as .62 based on her worst hip and that is above the .54 or lower recommendation for Goldens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts