Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will probably be long, but if you can stick with me and offer any help I will be eternally grateful. I am at the end of my rope and completely lost.

Overview: I purchased my 9 month old Golden girl from a reputable and well-respected breeder in the Golden community. Since I have gotten her she has been on 9 different foods. Every single food produces soft stools. We do extremely slow food transitions over 10-14 days. She spontaneously expresses her glands in my house every 1-2 days. This has been happening for months. My life revolves around the fish smell, floor mopping, and dog baths. Every time I express them (former vet tech) they are extremely full with normal looking output. Of course this is due to her stool not manually expressing them during a bowel movement. The ONLY thing that firms up her stool is when I cook ground beef and boil white potatoes. Boiled chicken and white rice never helped to firm up the stool. I know this is not nutritionally complete and cannot be a long term solution. At this point I'm looking to go to BalanceIt and purchase supplements and resign to home cooking beef and potatoes for the rest of her life. She did come to me from the breeder with Giardia which was treated with several rounds of Metro and Panacur. More detailed information and what I've tried is below.

Here are the foods we have tried:
1. PPP Focus Puppy Chicken/Rice (breeder's food of choice)
2. PPP EN Gastro (from vet after Giardia)
3. PPP Puppy Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice
4. SportDog Cub Puppy
5. Merrick Texas Beef and Sweet Potato Puppy
6. Natural Balance LID Duck and Potato Puppy
7. Natural Balance LID Beef Adult
8. The Honest Kitchen Beef Recipe
9. Current food - Royal Canin Ultamino (from vet - hypoallergenic/hydrolyzed protein)

We've tried probiotics, prescription probiotics, organic pumpkin, and plain yogurt - None helped and the probiotics made it worse

I am so worried that her anal glands with become dependent on manual expressions. My vet and I are on a weekly texting basis and her current suggestion is to keep going on the Ultamino and see if it gets better. So far it hasn't. She gets no outside food or treats, only her dog food or the beef/potato if we're firming up before transitioning to a new food. At this point I'm considering holistic vets or getting a second opinion. I just don't know what to do anymore and just want to help her. Her breeder said that nobody has communicated that their pup is having these issues. However, I do know of one pup that does.

If you have any suggestions I would be so thankful.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,692 Posts
Sorry for what you've been going through with your girl.

Looking at the list of foods and protein sources you've tried, with the exception of the Vet prescribed formulas, that's a lot of different proteins.

Have you tried any Salmon yet? PPP makes a Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula that is Salmon or Lamb. I fed the Salmon for many years to my guys because they had sensitive stomachs.

Mine never had any hot spots or anal gland problems either.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
That gland expression merry go round is a bad one.
Could you time a loose stool for AT the vet's so they could do another giardia test? It's so hard to see them, unless they are still in the fluid they came out with, that it seems like even in these difficult to get vet time times it might be worthwhile .
Not forever- but if the beef/rice is all she makes normal stools on, I would use that with intent to stay on it for a full month, keep her on metronidiazole and probiotics, adding in some pumpkin. OR ask the vet about using instead of metronidiazole using under 1/2t of tylan powder twice a day. Sometimes Tylan gets the oddball lingerers that others do not. I've honestly never heard of a dog expressing their glands that much, I wonder if there has been trauma to them... and if you know of another in her litter w similar issues, I wonder if they have a sphincter issue and would benefit from something directed at that?

·
Registered
844 Posts
I always like to get a holistic vet on board, especially for weird things like this, but that's me. If you have easy access to one, I think a second opinion from a more holistic perspective is always worthwhile.

One thing you may want to research is a colostrum supplement (lots of info and products online). I haven't used this with my dogs but I've heard good things from my friends who have alpacas for treating animals with chronic digestive problems, prolonged battle with parasites, or a general failure to thrive. The thought is that it helps the digestive tract to heal (so if there was damage from when the pup had giardia, maybe there is still trauma in there?).

Slippery elm is another herb that may be worth investigating/trying.

This is a fairly good article from a holistic perspective: How To Stop Dog Diarrhea: 4 Natural Ways To Soothe Your Dog's Stomach

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you tried Eukanuba large breed puppy? I had a similar experience with PPP and went through so many flavors/brands. I found that eukanuba firmed up my golden’s stools almost immediately.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
That's a lot of food changes in just 9 months. You really do need to keep her on one food for a couple of months before you decide it's not working. Changing it that often may be a large factor in what is keeping her stool loose. I hope the Royal Canin works for her. The Royal Canin GI (puppy) prescription food was the what finally got my Duncan's stool normal when he was a puppy under a year old. He was on it for nearly year though.

Isaac was an adult when I got him, 3.5 years old, and for the first year he had constant loose stools. We finally put him on Purina EN Fiber prescription food and added Prozyme powder to his food. It worked, in about a week his stool firmed up and has stayed normal ever since (he's 8 now). He is still on the Purina EN Fiber prescription food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts