Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been interested in purchasing a golden retriever puppy for about 10 years (I know that seems like an exaggeration but it is true). In about a year I will finally have everything perfectly aligned to where I feel I can bring a golden into my life. I have made communications with a bunch of clubs inquiring about a puppy referral and have started getting names of reputable breeders back along with their email addresses. I feel a bit anxious about emailing the breeders I am interested in so far in advance but from my research this seems like common practice. I am having trouble figuring out what to put in my email. Can one of you lovely, knowledgeable folks advise me on what to include in an email to a breeder?

What I think I should mention:

How I found them
My interest in a golden retriever puppy from them
The fact that I am not going to be a performance home
Questions for the breeder about future litter plans as well as my time frame
Questions regarding health certs/energy of their goldens (not looking for high drive/energy)

What do you think of the above? Is there anything else that would be helpful?

Thanks in advance!

·
Kristy
9,612 Posts
I'd include your home situation, if you work full time how you will manage the puppy - will you have a dog walker etc. What plans you have for obedience training, is your yard fenced. The reasons why you would be a great home for one of their puppies.

Many breeders have a questionnaire for prospective buyers to fill out that includes a lot of this information but putting some of this in your initial email could be a good way of letting them know how much homework you've done and how committed you are to making a good home for your puppy. A breeder's first responsibility is to the health and wellbeing of the puppies they produce so you want someone who asks just as many questions of you as you do of them.

Be prepared that you may not hear back from some people. From what I understand, most reputable breeders receive a great deal of email questions and they are busy people who aren't always as timely in their responses as we'd like. You can always try to make phone calls or follow up emails if you don't hear back.

Have you read through our 'finding a breeder' and '1st year puppy' boards? Lots of great info and several threads addressing this kind of topic if you use the search feature. Best of luck with your search :)

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Nolefan has given you good advice. As a breeder, not of Goldens, the people who catch my attention the most are the ones who tell me about themselves, their lifestyle, their house and yard, their plans, their expectations of their new puppy, what they want to do with their dog, if they have other dogs, pets, children, or grandchildren. I love when they ask ME questions and show they've done their research.

You might want to look for a dog show near you and go watch. See if any of the breeders you're interested in go to shows near you. You can find them by going to the superintendent of shows in your area website and look at shows that are over. There'll be a list of the dogs entered, look for the kennel names that are there for the ones you are interested in. If you go, ask to talk to them after they show, not before.

·
Registered
12,921 Posts
Rather than just saying you won't be a performance home, tell them what you WILL do with your dog. Why you want a dog. What kind of home you will provide.

Reactions: GoldenOpportunity
1 - 6 of 6 Posts