Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Buddy a 7month old pal is having a eating problem..he doesnt like to eat latety about 2 days...but he is still very active...is it bcuz of he dogfood?we i change my dogfood(lamb and rice)or maybe he wants to mate with another dog??please help me with this...sorry for wrong grammar :doh:..thanks a lot

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sully has off days when she doesn't want to eat. She'll want a different bowl, she wants to be babied, the bowl is not in the right spot, etc. And then there are days when she'll lick the bowl clean.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Have you tried adding some yogurt, pumpkin or real meat to his food on days he doesn't want to eat? has he lost weight?
I doubt it is wanting to mate.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
How much does he eat normally?

When he doesn't eat...is he eating absolutely nothing or just eating less?

What is the condition of the food? Any sign of bugs or mold in the bag? Both can happen and both will turn off a dogs appetite...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had pud some meat and cheeze but he only eats the meat and cheeze...i thnks he lost some weight right now...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he ate 2 cups per meal 1 in the moring and 1 in evening..he doest eat at all..he only smells it..

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
The quantity of food sounds good....
Does he have any mouth pain....broken teeth...mouth sores?
Is the dish in a new location?
Do you have any new pets - cats or dogs that might be intimidating him at mealtime?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont have any new from him...last week i started to brush his teeth but i thnk he likes it cuz every night i brush his teeth..this last 2 days he doesnt eat his food..im very worried..please help me

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would get him to the vet to see if he has some type of infection of blockage.

·
16,000 Posts
Is the other dog that you mentioned a female in heat? If this is an intact male and there is a bitch in season near him, he will not eat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my dog is male 7month old...how long will the heat last??what should i do if he is really in heat??...

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Males cant be in heat but if there is a female around him that is, that can make him not want to eat.
A healthy dog will not starve themselves to death so some tough love might be needed. If there are no medical issues. Hold the treats and goodies from his food, and put it down for 15 minutes, if he doesnt eat then pick it up and try again at dinner.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I hope he's doing ok. Take him to the vet if he continues to ignore eating food...

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I hope your pup is doing well.

As for eating, I had the worst golden ever when it came to eating. As a puppy up to 6 months old, I thought she was going to eat me out of house and home. Then one day, just like that, it stopped. We did no change to make that happen. For the next 8 1/2 years feeding her was a challenge. I had other dogs so I could not just leave her food down. Sometimes I think she ate the equivalent of 3 cups of food a week. Sometimes she would eat better if we tried a different food, but that would not last long.

My suggestion, have the vet check your pup over. There could be teeth problems and like others have said if he is experiencing male hormones about a female around that might contribute. Have your vet check to make sure there are no physical reasons. He should eat if he is hungry maybe he just is not hungry.

Also do not do free standing food. Give him 10-15 mins to eat. If he does not eat or walks away at the end of 15 min pick up the food. If he is still actively eating leave it. Then the next feed time do it again. Don't keep offering, allow him to get hungry. Also make sure he is not getting into other food that might be filling him up (cat food maybe?)

When my dog was 9 years old, one day just like she stopped eating she started again. She never went really off her food again. Dogs like people can be finicky eaters. Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts