Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am so glad that I came across this forum Googling possible causes for our new family member, Zoe. She is a 2 yr. old rescue and when we got her 2 wks ago, she had an ear and eye infection but was being treated with drops in both ears and eyes. I have noticed that she scratched under her tummy with her hind legs a lot and bites back there and licks her paws a lot... Fleas and ticks were ruled out by the vet, so they suggested Benadryl which I have been doing. My main cause of concern now is that the licking, although reduced, continues and now her black nose is turning pink/greyish and I just noticed tonight that her skin by her whiskers appears to be turning pink. Are Goldens notorious for allergies or is there something that I should be looking for? Just odd that this started after we got her or is it stress? Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
There are many posts on this forum about allergies. I really dont have any experience with them, butI'm sure others will chime in. What food is she on? Do you know what food the rescue had her on? THANK YOU for rescuing Zoe and I hope you get to the bottom of her allergies quickly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,561 Posts
Goldens are notorious for allergies, but the first thing I would do is ask the vet to do a skin scraping to rule out mange, or see if they can identify staph or other bacterial skin infection. Her nose color getting lighter may be related but also is not uncommon, cooler weather can produce "snow nose".

You could also bathe her with Microtek shampoo, or just a good oatmeal shampoo to see if that will help with the itching.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43,252 Posts
I would first ask the vet to do the skin scrapping and also to do a full bloodwork thyroid panel on her. Goldens are very well known for being low thyroid. And some of her symptoms sound like low thyroid Make sure they do the full panel. And have them send it out. If it comes back low normal, then she needs to be put on meds, low normal is low for goldens. This site is good and if your vet can send the test here. HEMOPET.HTM

Thank you for rescuing.
 

·
3 goldens
Joined
·
12,027 Posts
I agree 100% with the skin and blood tests. My gilr, kaycee was allergic to live oak and pine pollen, mold spores, bermuda grass, and fleas, and probably othr things--however no food allergies.

My nephews dog was much as you described and i told him to get her onto a grainless food, he did and her ithcing, scrat hing and rashes all cleared up. But i would rule out an infections, manage,

our honey was adopte d at about age 1 year old and came to us heart worm positive. Sometimes these adopted dogs come wilth ailments, but i can promise you, for some reason they seem to know you "rescued them" and you will neer regret it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: oupiphi

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I agree 100% with the skin and blood tests. My gilr, kaycee was allergic to live oak and pine pollen, mold spores, bermuda grass, and fleas, and probably othr things--however no food allergies.

My nephews dog was much as you described and i told him to get her onto a grainless food, he did and her ithcing, scrat hing and rashes all cleared up. But i would rule out an infections, manage,

our honey was adopte d at about age 1 year old and came to us heart worm positive. Sometimes these adopted dogs come wilth ailments, but i can promise you, for some reason they seem to know you "rescued them" and you will neer regret it.
I would first ask the vet to do the skin scrapping and also to do a full bloodwork thyroid panel on her. Goldens are very well known for being low thyroid. And some of her symptoms sound like low thyroid Make sure they do the full panel. And have them send it out. If it comes back low normal, then she needs to be put on meds, low normal is low for goldens. This site is good and if your vet can send the test here. HEMOPET.HTM

Thank you for rescuing.
Goldens are notorious for allergies, but the first thing I would do is ask the vet to do a skin scraping to rule out mange, or see if they can identify staph or other bacterial skin infection. Her nose color getting lighter may be related but also is not uncommon, cooler weather can produce "snow nose".

You could also bathe her with Microtek shampoo, or just a good oatmeal shampoo to see if that will help with the itching.
There are many posts on this forum about allergies. I really dont have any experience with them, butI'm sure others will chime in. What food is she on? Do you know what food the rescue had her on? THANK YOU for rescuing Zoe and I hope you get to the bottom of her allergies quickly.

Thank you all so much! How comforting to find such a caring group of people =) She is currently on a sensitive stomach/sensitive skin Salmon and Rice-based food, which she was fed at the rescue facility. The rescue did a complete work up to make sure that she was healthy (heartworms, vaccines, etc.) but I am trying to contact them to see if they did bloodwork. She does much, much better when I routinely give her 50mg of Benadryl every 8 hours (she weighs 70lbs.) I just am a little uneasy about medicating her ~ is it safe for her to be on Benadryl long term? I will try a soothing shampoo this evening and see how that works. As for the "snow nose," it is still well over 100 degrees here, so does temperature matter if/when she develops snow nose, or is it related to the season change? So many questions... We just love her so much already after 2 weeks and I don't want her to be miserable!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,561 Posts
Snow nose usually happens during fall and winter, so with your temps it's most likely related to whatever allergies she may have. I think the vet is going to be the best resource for finding out what's bothering her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
First, welcome to the forum, and thanks for being Zoe's angel!

It does sound like she's dealing with allergies, and the food the rescue had her on should help with those. Benadryl is fine, even long term. I use the generic form of Claritin for my girls. I give it once a day, crushed in their evening meal. Works wonders for keeping the flea, grass, food allergies in check.
 
  • Like
Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,818 Posts
What season is it where you are? If people are having allergies, the seasonal kind,l maybe your dog it too. Use the search button in the brown line at the top of the page and find lots of posts about allergies.
 

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
Ive been told repeatedly that benadryl is a safe and effective anti-histamine medication.
Talk with your vet as you might even be under-medicating. She might need to go up to 75 mg every 8 hours to truly stop the histamine reaction. Of course, dont do it unless under the supervision of your vet.
Benadryl doesnt remain effective as an antihistamine for more then 8 hours so if you are spacing out doses more then 8 hours, then that the histamines can build back up and start bother her again which increases the licking/scratching and ups the risk of a secondary infection - if she gets a skin infection from the licking/scratching, those infections require different meds.
I have had my older goldens on it before for months at a time without issue. Benadryl knocks me out, but didnt seem to have the same effect on my dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
511 Posts
Hello everyone!

I am so glad that I came across this forum Googling possible causes for our new family member, Zoe. She is a 2 yr. old rescue and when we got her 2 wks ago, she had an ear and eye infection but was being treated with drops in both ears and eyes. I have noticed that she scratched under her tummy with her hind legs a lot and bites back there and licks her paws a lot... Fleas and ticks were ruled out by the vet, so they suggested Benadryl which I have been doing. My main cause of concern now is that the licking, although reduced, continues and now her black nose is turning pink/greyish and I just noticed tonight that her skin by her whiskers appears to be turning pink. Are Goldens notorious for allergies or is there something that I should be looking for? Just odd that this started after we got her or is it stress? Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions.
You may be dealing with allergies, BUT, your new buddy may simply be suffering from stress. It can take 3-6 months for a rescue to settle down in their new home. Pick a high quality single protein food and stick with it. Natural Balance makes a great product. It is too low (IMHO) in protein to use long term but it is fine for the next 6 months. Try duck or salmon. Don't give any treats. If it does turn out to be a food allergy, you do not want to expose her to multiple protein sources. Do you know anything about her history, imcluding what foods (specificaly proteins) she has been exposed to?

MicroTek shampoo gives incredible short term relief. Find a big bottle at your local tack shop (it is very popular with horse people) - it will be much cheaper.

Re anti-histamines, your vet and dermatologist will tell you that the efficacy of anti-histamines in dogs is HIGHLY variable and unpredictable. What works well in one dog is totally useless in another so don't be afraid to try several different OTC products. Benadryl and hydroxyzine (Rx only) did nothing for Rocky but Tavist did help some. In general, anti-histamines offer only minor relief for an itchy dog.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top