Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 year, Lady is going though a false pregnancy and has been for 5 weeks now. She started out with a lightish yellow discharge for about 2 weeks and now it is bright red and heavy. How long will she have this discharge and should I be worried and take her back to the vet. She has never had a litter. She is acting normal, eating and drinking fine. It is just this discharge that is becoming very messy. I have her in her bitches britches with a pad that we are having to change like every hour or so. Any advise on how to handle this would be great! One other question, is she too old to breed?

thanks,
Crystal

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did take her to the vet three weeks ago and he put her on antibiotics and tested her and said that she didn't have Pyometra. I was planning on have her and Bailey her sister spayed in a few weeks. I would like for her to have just one litter, but wasn't sure if she is too old. I have heard it was good for them after having a false pregnancy.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
If you haven't been active with her in conformation, and she doesn't have an MACH or OTCH title, I wouldn't breed her. She is older for a first pregnancy and I wouldn't risk it. Some dogs can die in whelp. If she hasn't had a litter to date, why start now? I'd get her spayed ASAP! :)

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Unless your dogs have had all their clearances, you have an excellent knowledge of their pedigrees and history, and you are prepared for the expenses and possible loss of either dog as a result of pregnance, AND are prepared to possibly keep and deal with one of the puppies for life if need be, and take any or all of the pups back in for their lives......

Please spay your dogs. Having a litter does not do anything for them, or change them. There are hundreds of goldens in shelters and rescues looking for homes, thousands of dogs of every breed. Millions of dogs and cats are spayed before they have a litter and lead healthy, happy lives without adding to the pet population. There are lots of posts on this forum already about back yard breeders and responsible breeders that have more great points as to why you're better off spaying your girls.

Lana

·
Registered
10,554 Posts
Three weeks ago she might not have had pyometra but that doesn't mean she doesn't have it now. I would take her to the vet to be checked or at a minimum, call the vet to see what he thinks.

A bitch who has had a false pregancy or pyometra is at high risk for pyometra in the future. Therefore, breeders are advised that if a bitch has pyo'd, she either be spayed ASAP or be bred on her next cycle as otherwise she is very likely to pyo again.

Seven is pretty old for a first litter.

And Lana was spot on in her recommendations regarding breeding.

My advice would be to get your older girl checked by the vet, and have both girls spayed ASAP.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just an update, Lady is doing fine, it was just a false pregnancy and is done with it. They are both getting spayed in two weeks. thanks for the advise

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
So glad

So very glad to hear Lady is doing better and both dogs are getting spayed.
Being spayed and neutered is so much better for a dog's overall health.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts