Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! Hope the holidays are treating everyone well. My boy Jude is 1.5 y.o. He has always had a chewing problems but he has gotten alot better. Recently though when I leave for work he will stand on his and reach the counter and eat anything left on there including 2 loafs of bread this week. Today when I got home he reached onto the kitchen table and tore up 3 christmas presents I was going to wrap. :mad: He is also starting to chew a hole in the couch cushion. He is chewing alot of stuff that isn't mine (like my roommates shoes or playstation remotes.) I dont know what to do. I have yell and tell him NO! but I cant get through his head. He just cowers and pees himself. I used to come home from work wanting to play with my dog but now I come home fearing what has he eaten now. How do I get this through his head? Please help, I'm on the verge of having to pick between him or living with my roommates because that are all sick of him.

Any advice?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Crate Training for when you can't supervise & a load of exercise...it sounds like you have a bored & untrained juvenile golden & the fact that he wets himself when you yell at him sounds like he had no clue what to expect from you...time to get busy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, another thing you could do is put bitter apple on the areas where you dont want him to chew. (Although you might have to do this on a regular basis) If your dog, like mine, can stand it, put Vicks VapoRub, which is a lot stronger.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Crate Training for when you can't supervise & a load of exercise...it sounds like you have a bored & untrained juvenile golden & the fact that he wets himself when you yell at him sounds like he had no clue what to expect from you...time to get busy.
I'm just going to repeat above....crate training and EXERCISE.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
When we had the same problem with our Jake we bought an exercise pen. You can attach some to a crate and they then have a sleeping place and a place to walk around. We put ours in the garage. If you don't have a lockable garage then maybe the kitchen. When you come home and get mad he doesn't have a clue why. If you can contain him away from things he shouldn't get into you will have a much better result. It was a miracle for us and we were all much happier at the end of the day. Don't forget 1.5 is a teenager. Remember when you were a teenager. ;)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I'm just going to repeat above....crate training and EXERCISE.

Ditto!

Please understand there is no miracle pill to resolve this issue. It will take time, work and consistency on your part to get past it. And sometimes it is never completely resolved. My Brandi was one of those. And bread was her BIGGEST demon. We could never leave it on a counter or table during her entire life. We kept in one of the high cabinets. We could leave meat and other things on the counter but bread, fagettaboutit! :no:

Sorry I forgot
Welcome to th GRF! :wavey:

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Crate training and supervision. If he's supervised, he wouldn't be eating the couch. If he's crated, he won't be counter-surfing and eating things he shouldn't be.

I'd also recommend some afternoons at a doggie-daycare. It would give him some socialization. I'd also think it a good idea to take a training class together. It will help with bonding, and also help him to respond to your cues. You can do it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
A tired dog is a happy dog. At 1 1/2 this dog will be like a worm on a hot shovel without plenty of exercise and mental stimlulation. They are just like kids. If they can't get attention doing positive things they will get it some other way.

I believe yelling is one of the worst things you can do to a Golden. They are very sensitive and yelling will make him insecure. It is highly unproductive. Please do not yell at your dog.

·
Susan
1,187 Posts
I would crate him during the day when you are gone. Jamie sleeps in my office during the day except at lunch when we go to the dog park. I still use a baby gate to keep him in the bedroom at night.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am going to third, fourth or fifth the more exercise and crate when you aren't there advice!

The fact he is wetting on himself means he is fearful. It doesn't mean that he understands why you are mad, just that you are and he is submitting.

·
Just make it happen
481 Posts
Does he have any fun chew toys? Every time you catch him chewing on something he shouldn't, give him a firm ''no'' and replace the object with one of his chew toys so he will learn what to chew and what not to. I second the crate and exercise advise.

Good luck!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
C R A T E !!

This is the same thing I tell my daughter & her fiance when they tell me about all the damage their 5 & 9 month old puppies do while they are at work. Why are they allowed full run of the house? A crate cost a lot less than replacing woodwork, rugs, Christmas ornaments and furniture.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hi i have a 19 month old female golden retriever named Shelley she use to a bad chewer eg rip up her beds,toys,towels anything she coulld get ahold of. What i did is just ignored the behaviour so she wasn't getting any attention good or bad. Now she won't chew anything but bones and sometimes a toy.

It sounds like your boy is bored and is wanting attention to get that attention his chewing things up instand of yelling at him completely ignore the behaviour don't even give eye contact for 5 minutesthen give him attention. But if your not home crate the dog so he can't chew things etc. How much exercise is your boy getting each day? Does he have any toys to play with? How much training has he had?

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
You've got great advice here - please take it to heart.

YELLING AT YOUR DOG WILL DO NO GOOD FOR YOU OR YOUR DOG.

PLEASE DON'T YELL AT HIM.

The only time to effectively correct your dog is when you catch him in the middle of doing something wrong, not right after or hours later. Trust me it doesn't work and all you end up with is a confussed dog if it's after the fact.

A firm no, not in anger, and if he wets himself you've been to firm - back off a bit. And most importantly immediately give him a toy or bone to play / chew on and go totally over board on playing with him with the object - good boy!!!! good boy!!!

If he goes back toward the unwanted object give him an aawh and encourage him back toward the toy / bone with a very positive tone and play some more.

If done correctly you'll find him coming to you with the toy and a happy tail and not the chewed up remote.

Exercise him and don't give him the opportunity to be bad.

I promise all he wants is love from you and once he gets it all you'll get is that unconditional love from him.

It's entirely up to you....

Pete

·
Lost in Fur Land
168 Posts
Ill just toss my vote in with everyone else.... CRATE! And solid training.

What i did with Cooper was, every time i caught him in the act i would firmly tell him no, and redirect him to what he CAN chew on. And play with him with approved toys. If you dont catch them in the act, just clean up the mess and move on. The chance to redirect has been lost. Thats why the crate is such a good tool.

If your consistant, things will turn around. The process of training will also make the bond between both of you stronger then ever.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I will repeat what just about everyone else has already said, and that is CRATE AND EXERCISE. Do NOT yell at your dog. It will do no good. Your dog has no idea why you are mad at him and it will only make him fearful of you. You can only correct his behavior if you catch him in the act. If you find that he has chewed on something after it has already been done, there is nothing you can do. He needs to be crated when there is no one around to keep an eye on him and he needs to get plenty of exercise with plenty of walks and time to run off leash. Those are the two most important things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts