Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Really at my wits end watching my boy suffer and looking for some advice, information, and I guess for someone to verify that there is light at the end of this awful tunnel.

My 9 month old boy has started developing hot spots about a month ago. Started with one small spot near his groin and another small spot in his armpit. First noticed due to foul odor when he would lay on his back. Trimmed the area and used gold bond medicated powder; this totally cleared up the spot on his groin and was allowing his armpit to heal.

Fast forward to Friday morning, went to check his armpit after a bath Thursday night (we blow dry to make sure he’s pretty dry, but it’s hard with all that hair) and it was like a bomb of hot spots went off on his underside. His entire armpit is red and raw as well as his entire belly down to his groin. Took him to the vet this morning with very oozy sores and they found no yeast, but bacteria and gave a shot of cytopoint, 2 days of prednisone, and a medicated shampoo (2-3 times a week).

Got him home, bathed, dried, and medicated with prednisone only to still notice a foul smell. Went to check on his spots and noticed this oozing coming from in between all of his toes. This poor guy, it’s like this has taken over his whole body and I don’t know what to do. Vet said she doesn’t think anything needs to be put on it (aka no powder) but I just feel so bad for him. I’m not sure how long it’ll take for his meds to kick in but I sure hope it does soon. Any advice or goldies going through the same thing?

This happened after a bath after going to the dog park. He must have went pretty hard as some of his front paw pads has also fallen off. My poor guy is a mess and it’s just so hard to see him like this.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We experienced Ted getting 2 hot spots underneath where his collar would be. We went on holiday for a week when there was a heat wave in the uk! Friends looking after him took him swimming twice a day but didn’t take his collar off and dry him.

Anyway took him to vets, they gave him a steroid shot. Then they prescribed a steroid wash that I would put on and leave for 10 minutes then wash off. Chlorhexidine.
But then to rub on a gel Isaderm for dogs. 5 times a day for 2 weeks then reassessed and went down to 3 times a day for another 2 weeks. No swimming.
Vet said super important not to stop using it when it looks a lot better but actually it isn’t completely gone. To see it through.
He also no longer wares a collar.

Admittedly your boy sounds a lot worse. But thought no harm in sharing the medication we used with successful outcome.

·
Kristy
10,245 Posts
I'm so sorry :( what a nightmare. I'm a second for the chlorhexedine you can get it in a mousse form as well as spray. And it sounds like you need to get into a habit of doing a nightly belly rub to check for spots, it's scary how quickly they can form.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Poor baby! I feel for you (and him). What hard places for him to have the spots too, due to the constant friction. 😟 FWIW I have only once gone through a really bad round of hot spots. It started as a tiny spot on my boy’s head. I thought I caught it early, trimmed it, treated it with Gold Bond, and the next day found another spot, and another, and another... till the Top of his head and starting down his neck was all either hot spot or scabby/inflamed skin. I think this happened over the course of less than a week. I hate Pred and try to avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary... and I think this started a few days before a weekend, but I definitely let it go too long with just home remedies before I took him to the vet. The good news is I saw noticeable improvement within 24-48 hours of starting him on meds and it healed pretty quickly, though it was months before the fur grew in enough not to look odd. So... this is a long way of trying to give you hope that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel and a good chance he’ll be feeling MUCH better by the end of the weekend.

Reactions: Hoag13

·
Super Moderator Leader
52,736 Posts
This may seem like an odd question, but what food (protein) are you feeding your boy?
I've fed Salmon for many years and my guys never had problems with hot spots.

I also have always kept a bottle of Vetericyn on hand, it works for minor skin abrasions, scrapes, and hot spots.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I've also had success with Chlorhexidine. I used Douxo Shampoo Douxo Microemulsion Spray. I also think there could be a food sensitivity triggering this. I know what you are going through. Soooo hard to see them suffer with those awful hot spots. Keeping the hair trimmed surrounding a hot spot is also key. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My pup had nasty hot spots including 1 that was on his face and required us to shave it because our vet was booked up. It was quite the traumatic experience for all of us. Turns out it was a chicken allergy. Once we stopped feeding him chicken, it went away and no recurrences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all! Thank you so much for your replies and words of wisdom! I’m so happy to hear that the chlorohexidine has worked for you all as that is the medication in the shampoo the vet prescribed (VetraSeb shampoo). I’m wondering if I need to call and ask for a topical/oral component as well? What do you guys think?

Definitely have taken food allergy into consideration, however I’ve already switched him to a salmon based food as I suspected a chicken allergy at about 5 months! He hasn’t had chicken since and that totally solved his belly issues. Admittedly, I did feed him a little hamburger meat with cheese on Thursday as a treat, I wonder if that did him over? Now it seems the skin issue is popping up out of nowhere and there is definite frustration surrounding not knowing the root of the issue.

Good news is that he is already doing much better tonight! Hopefully this is a good sign but also trying not to get my hopes up this early. I have been trying to keep the spots (which are SO LARGE) super dry. They’ve stopped producing ooze but they’re definitely still pretty red. He finally reached into his toy bin after 2 days so I’d say he’s feeling a bit better!

The flares seem to be after he is bathed (using burts bees puppy shampoo in the past so hard to see an allergy stemming from that but who knows!). Praying that this small success tonight keeps on going after his next bath on Monday!

What do y’all do to prevent flare ups? Other than keeping a known allergy out of the picture of course lol!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Topical chlorohexidine did nothing my dog. Even the oral antibiotics didn't clear it up. We needed 2 shots to finally work. At the very least, you'll need the chlorohexidine wipes or foam.

Hi all! Thank you so much for your replies and words of wisdom! I’m so happy to hear that the chlorohexidine has worked for you all as that is the medication in the shampoo the vet prescribed (VetraSeb shampoo). I’m wondering if I need to call and ask for a topical/oral component as well? What do you guys think?

Definitely have taken food allergy into consideration, however I’ve already switched him to a salmon based food as I suspected a chicken allergy at about 5 months! He hasn’t had chicken since and that totally solved his belly issues. Admittedly, I did feed him a little hamburger meat with cheese on Thursday as a treat, I wonder if that did him over? Now it seems the skin issue is popping up out of nowhere and there is definite frustration surrounding not knowing the root of the issue.

Good news is that he is already doing much better tonight! Hopefully this is a good sign but also trying not to get my hopes up this early. I have been trying to keep the spots (which are SO LARGE) super dry. They’ve stopped producing ooze but they’re definitely still pretty red. He finally reached into his toy bin after 2 days so I’d say he’s feeling a bit better!

The flares seem to be after he is bathed (using burts bees puppy shampoo in the past so hard to see an allergy stemming from that but who knows!). Praying that this small success tonight keeps on going after his next bath on Monday!

What do y’all do to prevent flare ups? Other than keeping a known allergy out of the picture of course lol!!

·
Registered
9,486 Posts
I'd change him to a 'cool' protein food at least until he gets over this crisis- like, rabbit based. I had a bitch here for a breeding once who did the same thing, the acupuncture vet suggested cool protein (per chinese medicine) Cooling vs warming foods | Volhard Dog Nutrition and along with frequent laser treatments she was on the mend pretty fast. If you could rent a cold laser machine from an equine vet, you could do that at home.

·
Super Moderator
1,350 Posts
Have you tried washing the really oozy ones with hydrogen peroxide? It is unpleasant, but it really helps kill the bacteria and dry out the spots. It’s the only thing that really worked when one of mine got a terrible hotspot near his groin. I washed it twice a day and coned him and that was it. Kept him away from water until it went away completely.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Denver gets hot spots under his ears. He’s going on 3 years old and he’s gotten the hotspots there each year on his first big day is swimming at the beginning of each season. We have luck with trimming down the area, doing hydrogen peroxide to clean and few times a day to dry it out and stop the oozing, then gold bond until a scab forms. Have also had luck with listerine and a foaming hot spot treatment from the vet which has tea tree oil in it to get the spots to dry out. The last time around I did ask the vet for an antibiotic to speed along the process and she was fine with prescribing some. I’ve also found that salt water helps them clear up as well. Dab some on with cotton ball then pat dry. I’m so sorry your boy is dealing with this and not feeling well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
When we lived in California, our dogs would get terrible hot spots. Many people told us NOT to let them go swimming. We had a pool that was treated with salt/potassium instead of the standard chlorine. Finally, one hot day, we just let them go because they LOVED to swim. Within days all hot spots were gone. For the remaining years they were alive, we let them swim..... and every other golden we had after that. Never again did we ever have a hot spot problem.... not one.

I don't know if this would work in a regular chlorinated pool, but the salt/potassium seemed to work great. (It is also gentler on your bathing suits.) We now live in Colorado at high altitude, so hot spots are a thing of the past.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,808 Posts
Take your dog to the vet and get the shot. Both your lives will be much better afterwards. It’s expensive, but worth it.
Hot spots seem to hit some dogs more than others. I’ve never found any rhyme or reason why. They are an infection and without antibiotics, you’ll never really conquer them.
I would wash all your dog’s bedding and wash the floor and any surfaces your dog comes into contact with.
Also consider steroids, they can help your dog get over the hump, and back onto wellness

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello everyone! Really at my wits end watching my boy suffer and looking for some advice, information, and I guess for someone to verify that there is light at the end of this awful tunnel.

My 9 month old boy has started developing hot spots about a month ago. Started with one small spot near his groin and another small spot in his armpit. First noticed due to foul odor when he would lay on his back. Trimmed the area and used gold bond medicated powder; this totally cleared up the spot on his groin and was allowing his armpit to heal.

Fast forward to Friday morning, went to check his armpit after a bath Thursday night (we blow dry to make sure he’s pretty dry, but it’s hard with all that hair) and it was like a bomb of hot spots went off on his underside. His entire armpit is red and raw as well as his entire belly down to his groin. Took him to the vet this morning with very oozy sores and they found no yeast, but bacteria and gave a shot of cytopoint, 2 days of prednisone, and a medicated shampoo (2-3 times a week).

Got him home, bathed, dried, and medicated with prednisone only to still notice a foul smell. Went to check on his spots and noticed this oozing coming from in between all of his toes. This poor guy, it’s like this has taken over his whole body and I don’t know what to do. Vet said she doesn’t think anything needs to be put on it (aka no powder) but I just feel so bad for him. I’m not sure how long it’ll take for his meds to kick in but I sure hope it does soon. Any advice or goldies going through the same thing?

This happened after a bath after going to the dog park. He must have went pretty hard as some of his front paw pads has also fallen off. My poor guy is a mess and it’s just so hard to see him like this.
Raw food diet—we buy Bravo, but there are other brands, or ee gad, make your own.
Give raw chicken backs, raw turkey necks.
Food should be 80% animal protein and 20% veg. Add fish oil for omega 3; raw goats milk is good for taming allergies, skin issues, stomach.
My golden had hot spots 1x or 2x his whole life...go raw.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Your poor Golden. The vaccines can cause damage to the immune system like an auto immune response of hot spots. His body is very imbalanced. You need a Holistic, Naturopathic or Homeopathic Veterinarian to balance and heal his whole body, then the hot spots will stop and not come back. Allopathic Veterinarians only treat the symptoms and will Not cure the problem. Very much like human doctors. Add plain KEFIR say a tablespoon a day for probiotics. Buy at grocery store in fridge section by yogurt. Add supplements like NaturVet KELP HELP. Kelp supplements are very important as most dogs, like people are very deficient in iodine which is a very necessary nutrient that runs the body. Also add NuPro supplement. Add a RAW EGG to the food, as the raw egg has enzymes, as cooking eggs kills the enzymes. Add fresh or frozen green peas or green beans for greens in the food. No canned peas or canned green beans as the extra salt in canned veggies will cause diarrhea and canned foods are cooked at very high heat to kill the nutrients. Sprinkle CHIA seeds on the food for fiber and firm poop. Give real live food treats like banana slices, apple slices, blueberries, radishes, carrots, celery, etc. These hot spot issues are a warning of an auto immune response that the body is totally very off balance. Do Not vaccinate again, as the over vaccination has probably damage his immune system which now needs to be healed and these issues will end. If you heal his whole body so he is balanced, and vaccinate again, it can start up the hot spots again. His body needs to heal and the symptoms of hot spots will stop. Goldens are super sensitive, and when they are over vaccinated, fed a No nutrition kibble, filled with pesticide toxins for heartworm, fleas, ticks, monthly, it is a very heavy toxic burden with no upside. He will need high nutrition, live foods (as kibble is a over processed very dead food with no nutrition), probiotics like KEFIR, vitamins, nutrients, supplements and to find less toxic or natural alternatives when possible.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I noticed this in my golden when he was younger. He outgrew it, but I had a shampoo (Sulfox) that seemed to really help. It’s benzyl peroxide, sulfur, and salicylic acid.

I noticed this on my golden when he was younger. This shampoo really helped. I did it at least once a week and made sure to completely dry him after bath time. He is now 2 and has outgrown his skin issues. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
My boy had the mother of all hot spots once. After vet treatment of antibiotics a shave and a good cleaning, I cleaned only that area twice a day. Included a spray of peroxide (Walmart sells a spray bottle and it's WORTH the investment!)and a spray of wound cleaner, can't remember name brand (blue bottle), allow to dry between sprays. It took a couple of weeks for it to go away and the swelling of his scrotum to go down. His coat took forever to grow back!

·
Registered
25 Posts

What are you feeding him? Hot spots are usually caused from food & are let out thru the skin & ear infections as well. Although a tick/bug bite can also start one.
Has he had any vaccines in a few months? Any topical or oral flea/tick products? Heartworm meds? When all these things get into their body & bloodstream, it can cause devastating side effects seizures, diahrrea, skin eruptions
( hot spots).
What are you shampooing with?
If he's allergic to grain( which sounds like)& you bathe with Oatmeal shampoo products it's exasperating his issue. Always re-rinse even when you think you took shampoo/conditioner off. Just trim area around hot spots to air dry. Benadryl may help him feel better. Go buy some raw food, hamburger or frozen raw for dogs in pet store. I use Oma's pride raw, meat with veggies, but there are other brands. Give it a try for a month, see if he gets better. Mine have no hot spots ever, no ear infections, (they swim all summer)no smelly dogs, firm poops, minimal vaccines, we do blood titers instead.
One of my dogs chews the feet. It stopped this winter as yard was covered in snow, no grass! So i have to clean feet well coming in from grass. Hope the pup gets better!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts