Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Every puppy is different, but I don’t remember my puppies waking me much before 5 AM after the first week. If the puppy is in your room (so you can easily hear him), and if his crate is the right size (just big enough to stand up, turn around, lay down comfortably), then if he wakes up in the night and whimpers, just reassure him that you’re there and see if he’ll go back to sleep. Only get up and take him out if he really sounds desperate. And then just make it a business trip: carry him out (no lovin’), give him a reasonable time on a short leash to take care of business, if he does, praise him quietly, and take him back to his crate. I have NEVER intentionally woken my puppy in the night to take him out! If he needs to go, he’ll let you know... you just need to be sure he’s close enough for you to hear him.

Reactions: Gobi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
He's a baby in a new place and doesn't want to be alone. Can you put the crate in your bedroom, at least for the first few weeks? Every time I've suggested this to a new puppy owners it's been an almost instant "fix" to the nighttime crying. Put the crate where he can see and hear you and, ideally, where you can stick your fingers through the crate door to reassure him when he wakes in the night. My experience is that by 10 weeks of age he should be starting to sleep through the night.... If you really don't want him sleeping in your room I think you'll be able to move him out again in a few weeks when he's a bit more mature and settled into your home.

Thanks a lot for your tip and advice! Unfortunately, our bedroom is not big enough that we can bring his crate/pen. So I slept on the couch last night where he can see me there. It was for sure better but still there is some whining. I totally understand he's still a little baby boy so it really breaks my heart to hear him whine but we pretend not to pay attention :( Because we've been told if we come by when he whines it'd reinforce them to whine to get what they want.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Every puppy is different, but I don’t remember my puppies waking me much before 5 AM after the first week. If the puppy is in your room (so you can easily hear him), and if his crate is the right size (just big enough to stand up, turn around, lay down comfortably), then if he wakes up in the night and whimpers, just reassure him that you’re there and see if he’ll go back to sleep. Only get up and take him out if he really sounds desperate. And then just make it a business trip: carry him out (no lovin’), give him a reasonable time on a short leash to take care of business, if he does, praise him quietly, and take him back to his crate. I have NEVER intentionally woken my puppy in the night to take him out! If he needs to go, he’ll let you know... you just need to be sure he’s close enough for you to hear him.

That's great to know to never wake them up to go potty! We have set a potty schedule at night 2-3 times. So sometimes we'd even wake him up and let potty outside, which he does.

The thing is our 10 weeks old pup whines quite many times at night so it's tough to distinguish which ones are actually whining for potty and which ones are not. However, we will give it a try tonight not to go by set-times but take him out only if he whines desperately.

One last question, on average how many times did your potty needed to go for potty at night when he was at around 10-11 weeks?

Many thanks,
Gobi's parents

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
How big is your current crate for him? The crate I had for my puppy the first few weeks wasn’t much bigger than a cat carrier and could have fit on my nightstand or tucked it into my closet if it had to... it might be worth being creative or inconvenient for a few weeks for the sake of his happiness and your sleep!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How big is your current crate for him? The crate I had for my puppy the first few weeks wasn’t much bigger than a cat carrier and could have fit on my nightstand or tucked it into my closet if it had to... it might be worth being creative or inconvenient for a few weeks for the sake of his happiness and your sleep!

Great question! My crate is just enough size for him to sleep now. As you can see from the photo, we have a huge crate but with a divider now it's just about enough size for him stretching while sleeping. Do you think this is a good size?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Great question! My crate is just enough size for him to sleep now. As you can see from the photo, we have a huge crate but with a divider now it's just about enough size for him stretching while sleeping. Do you think this is a good size?
Yes, that looks perfect! BUT, if you dont have room for the big crate in your bedroom I encourage you to borrow or buy a plastic crate the size of the space he’s in that you can keep in. your bedroom (unless you’re OK with sleeping on the couch for a few weeks!).

One of my favorite trainers has a podcast on housebreaking puppies that you may find helpful. There’s lots of great general info here, but her discussion of getting your puppy to not wake you in the night starts around the 13 minute mark. Episode 26: Pro Dog Training Tips to Get Your Puppy to Sleep All Night

One things she recommends that I’ll disagree with is having the puppy wear a collar in the crate that you can quickly clip a leash to. For safety reasons I NEVER let my dogs or puppies be in a crate with a collar without constant supervision. I would use a slip lead to take the puppy out on.

Reactions: Gobi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yes, that looks perfect! BUT, if you dont have room for the big crate in your bedroom I encourage you to borrow or buy a plastic crate the size of the space he’s in that you can keep in. your bedroom (unless you’re OK with sleeping on the couch for a few weeks!).

One of my favorite trainers has a podcast on housebreaking puppies that you may find helpful. There’s lots of great general info here, but her discussion of getting your puppy to not wake you in the night starts around the 13 minute mark. Episode 26: Pro Dog Training Tips to Get Your Puppy to Sleep All Night

One things she recommends that I’ll disagree with is having the puppy wear a collar in the crate that you can quickly clip a leash to. For safety reasons I NEVER let my dogs or puppies be in a crate with a collar without constant supervision. I would use a slip lead to take the puppy out on.

You're so kind to share all these tips. Thank you so much, again! :) Even if we sleep in our bed we can still hear every single noise he makes. Only concern is that I think he whimpers little more when I'm not sleeping close by where he can see me. We'll figure something out with sleeping situation and crate regardless.

I will certainly check out the podcast and I also 100% second that I'd never let my pup wear a collar in the crate for the same reason.

I'm curious where are you located? and how old is your pup? Maybe in the future who knows we could have a play date :)

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I’m in NH and at the moment I only have adult dogs, though I’m hoping to get my next puppy within the next year or two.

if you aren’t signed up for a puppy kindergarten class I encourage you to do so ASAP. Not only does it help with training and socialization, but it gives you a chance to ask your trainer for advice on your particular concerns and it always helps to commiserate with other puppies who are going through the same thing...

·
Premium Member
18,481 Posts
Thanks for your tip! We took his bed out last night and replaced it with marble and it seems to be working fine. By any chance how did you let your puppy potty at night? Would you get up and take her out? if so, how often?

Many thanks,
Gobi's parents
She would wake up about 2 am and start whining, so we would carry her outside to the yard, encourage her to potty and after she did, pick her up and put her right back in the crate. No petting, no playing. Just potty and back to bed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So great to know about your puppy's crate/pen experience. We followed your advice last night in addition to sleeping on a couch next to his pen/crate. It seems to be working a little better but of course still some whining.

One last question. How did you deal with the potty at night? Did you have set times to take your puppy out at night? If so how many times/what times?

Or did you take your puppy out for potty every time when he/she whines? If so, how many times on average? Or any other ways?

Sorry for all the questions. We really do appreciate your time and helpful tips! :)

Best,
Gobi's parents
Hi, I'm so happy that the first night went well! We had set times at night when we took him out. Last potty before bedtime was about 8:00/9:00ish? Then we took him out at about 1:00 a.m., then again at about 5:00 a.m. Our puppy loved/loves to drink a lot of water, and we couldn't stand to pick up his water bowl two hours before bed time, so instead, we sacrificed our own sleep for the first few weeks. When he whined in his crate at night, we made sure that we didn't give him any attention. Instead, we just picked him up and put him outside for potty. If he didn't potty, we picked him up and put him immediately in the crate. He tested our will and patience, but soon enough, he got the message. If you know that he just went potty, you should really ignore all the whining because it will teach him that he gets out of the crate by doing that. It's hard, really hard... but if you stick with it, that habit will pass by before you know it.

At about 11-12 weeks, he started to be able to sleep through the night, and would only bark for (you guessed it) more water... Now, we have one of those crate water feeders -- which means restful sleep for mama and papa.

·
Registered
987 Posts
They are all different! But, my current pup, who is now 13 months, was put outside at night every 2 hours! My wife and I took turns...this started on day one when he was 8 weeks old. So to bed at 10pm, then out at midnight, 2am, 4am, 6am...! Was not fun, but the pup soon got the idea. We extended that to 3hrs at 10wks. Then only getting up when he was moving around or wining! By 12 weeks he was going once a night around 4am. Soon after that he slept through the night....

But, again I say, they are all different. Good Luck...

·
Registered
8,002 Posts
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and tips. It's good to know it took your pup a few nights and you adjust the bedtime accordingly. We also have the heartbeat toy for our boy.

On average how often did your puppy wakes you up for potty when he/she was around 10 weeks old?

Many thanks,
Helen
My memory of those first few weeks is kind of a blur but I seem to recall 1am (around there) wake up calls. Or maybe it was 11am? I think it was at least once for me during the night. And my partner would take the 4:30 am one (thankfully) but our little demon's bedtime is from 8pm-4:30am anyways. But she was sleeping through the night relatively quickly I think. Except weekends. I still can't get her to sleep in on the weekends. If it's not potty breaks, it's her tummy growling and she getting frustrated for breakfast.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do you think this is a good size?
That looks about right. I found those crates to be out of stock nearly everywhere during the pandemic. We ended up combining a 42" crate from one company, with a larger XXL divider from a different company, and thankfully they squeezed together well enough to be useable.

However, we then found Murphy always cries whenever he fouls indoors, and as he can see the garden/toilet from kitchen patio doors, that is where he naturally runs to before potty. We immediately ditched the crating idea because it is easier for us to open the patio doors, or clean the kitchen floor, whichever fate deals us - we are still working on the schedule but it seems a late meal after 10pm prompts a late night potty, and he can then hold it until at least 6am.

Murphy's crate is now exclusively for travel, and we stopped using the divider as well because if (or when) he does potty in the car then it's probably going to be easier to clean the crate floor than wash his fur.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all,

We brought our sweet little boy, Gobi (10 weeks old) two days ago. We're having really rough nights as he whines at least 5 times a night for 20-30 minutes. We're really desperate for any advice or your experience you had with the little pups that you could share with us.

We make him sleep in a crate that's the size of his bed in the living room. We're debating whether we should place a marble stone in his crate to replace his bed because he seems to like to sleep on the marble around the fireplace during the day.

Evening Routine:
6 pm: dinner
6:30-8 pm: lots of play and restroom breaks
8 pm: goes to bed by himself where the fireplace marble is
9:30 pm: we place him in his crate while he's asleep but he wakes up and starts whining
Then all the whining/sleeping happens throughout the night...
2 am: restroom break
In between: more whining/sleeping
7 am: restroom break and breakfast

Any information, tips, and your own experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Gobi's parents

View attachment 881637
We found that placing the crate in our bedroom eliminated the whining. Our pup didn’t want to be alone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,

We brought our sweet little boy, Gobi (10 weeks old) two days ago. We're having really rough nights as he whines at least 5 times a night for 20-30 minutes. We're really desperate for any advice or your experience you had with the little pups that you could share with us.

We make him sleep in a crate that's the size of his bed in the living room. We're debating whether we should place a marble stone in his crate to replace his bed because he seems to like to sleep on the marble around the fireplace during the day.

Evening Routine:
6 pm: dinner
6:30-8 pm: lots of play and restroom breaks
8 pm: goes to bed by himself where the fireplace marble is
9:30 pm: we place him in his crate while he's asleep but he wakes up and starts whining
Then all the whining/sleeping happens throughout the night...
2 am: restroom break
In between: more whining/sleeping
7 am: restroom break and breakfast

Any information, tips, and your own experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Gobi's parents

View attachment 881637
Get him a Snuggle Puppy! They are life savers! They have a battery operated heart inside that soothes them to sleep. Our boy slept through the night in his crate from night two! You can get one on Amazon. Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Get him a Snuggle Puppy! They are life savers! They have a battery operated heart inside that soothes them to sleep. Our boy slept through the night in his crate from night two! You can get one on Amazon. Good luck!
We have a clone and the vibrator sounds more like a cricket than a heartbeat. I'd be cautious of the puppy getting inside and eating the batteries, but maybe that is only applicable my golden wolf pup.. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks a lot for your comment. Great tip! I slept next to the crate in the living room last night. It seems a little better but still a few whining throughout the night. I'm wondering do you take your puppy out for potty at night? if so how many times and what time?

Not only I slept next to him last night, but I also took him out on the deck 3 times for potty which was exhausting but all attempts were successful. 1st attempt @ midnight, 2nd @ 3 am, and 3rd attempt @ 5 am.

Many thanks,
Gobi's parents
For Blue, whining stopped on the second day. If I remember correctly, I took him out at least once (1-2 a.m.). His bedtime schedule is 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. You may not need to take him out that often at night unless he really needs to go. I believe he eventually slept through the night around 11- 12 weeks.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts