Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

We brought our sweet little boy, Gobi (10 weeks old) two days ago. We're having really rough nights as he whines at least 5 times a night for 20-30 minutes. We're really desperate for any advice or your experience you had with the little pups that you could share with us.

We make him sleep in a crate that's the size of his bed in the living room. We're debating whether we should place a marble stone in his crate to replace his bed because he seems to like to sleep on the marble around the fireplace during the day.

Evening Routine:
6 pm: dinner
6:30-8 pm: lots of play and restroom breaks
8 pm: goes to bed by himself where the fireplace marble is
9:30 pm: we place him in his crate while he's asleep but he wakes up and starts whining
Then all the whining/sleeping happens throughout the night...
2 am: restroom break
In between: more whining/sleeping
7 am: restroom break and breakfast

Any information, tips, and your own experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Gobi's parents

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think that maybe this could be an opportunity for you to "ease into" crate training. For us, we didn't put our puppy in a crate until about the fourth night he was with us. Instead, we fortified a safe pen for him and put his crate in there (door was open). We allowed him the option to go in and out of there as he chose, so that he could view it as a safe place. We put the scent of his brother in there that was on a blanket and a toy, and fed him treats and meals in there. Miraculously, he chose to sleep and nap in there all on his own. After a few nights of getting used to his new environment (our home) and his crate, only then did we lock the crate at night. It probably took us three nights to get there though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
After a few nights of getting used to his new environment (our home) and his crate, only then did we lock the crate at night.
What is the benefit of locking the crate?

My puppy cries when he needs the toilet. We do not have enough time to intervene, so we are not sure if the crying is before or after, and we don't want him peeing in the crate. He is going to the toilet by the garden door, and we find paw prints on the window, so he is probably trying to do the right thing.

·
Registered
55 Posts

My puppy cries when he needs the toilet. We do not have enough time to intervene, so we are not sure if the crying is before or after, and we don't want him peeing in the crate. He is going to the toilet by the garden door, and we find paw prints on the window, so he is probably trying to do the right thing.
If you’ve got him in a crate (yes, locked) of the appropriate size (big enough to turn around in and not much more... you can use a crate that’s appropriate for his adult size and just block off the appropriate size space for now), he’s not going to want to mess his sleeping area. Keep the crate in your bedroom or somewhere you can hear him when he cries. When he wakes up and needs to potty, you’ll hear him and you can get him out the door in time. It gives you that time you need to intervene before there’s an accident. It won’t be too long till he’s capable of holding it the whole night. I’d still keep him crated though until you’re absolutely sure he won’t have an accident and won’t get himself into any midnight mischief, lol.

Sounds like he already knows where things are suppose to happen so this should get you through this last little hump. Good luck!

ETA: If this is happening during the day, that’s a different discussion (that’s mostly based around him not being out of your sight unless he is crated until he’s fully potty trained). If that’s the case, let us know and I or someone else in the group can walk you through some ideas.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What worked for us was a crate cover to mimic a den like environment. In addition, I slept right next to the crate in the living room for about 3 weeks as it was comforting to my 8 weeks old puppy at the time and easier for me to take him out at night. Eventually, he slept through the night and I went back to my comfy bed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We are not at that stage yet, but we removed the divider because our 8wk (57 days old) puppy has identified that the house is his den and he sleeps everywhere randomly. I do not think he can control his bowels enough to provide us with a warning. He cries at the patio doors and poops on the window.

Today happens to be a nice day so the doors are open and the garden lawn is his preferred toilet. The garden lawn is also his preferred food (he won't surrender grass for any puppy treats).

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Puppy probably won't cry (for long or if at all) if you use a small crate, put it where you are, and perhaps play some soft music nearby. I use a primo pad -- my dogs seem to like the surface and it's easy to clean. My first Golden only cried the first night and my second didn't at all. It's hard to transition to a new place and go from litter plus mom to being alone.

How to Crate Train Your Dog in 9 Easy Steps – American Kennel Club

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
He's a baby in a new place and doesn't want to be alone. Can you put the crate in your bedroom, at least for the first few weeks? Every time I've suggested this to a new puppy owners it's been an almost instant "fix" to the nighttime crying. Put the crate where he can see and hear you and, ideally, where you can stick your fingers through the crate door to reassure him when he wakes in the night. My experience is that by 10 weeks of age he should be starting to sleep through the night.... If you really don't want him sleeping in your room I think you'll be able to move him out again in a few weeks when he's a bit more mature and settled into your home.

Reactions: Gobi

·
Registered
981 Posts
Dogs are 'denning' animals, like their ancient relatives, they like to have a safe place to sleep and rest. A small quite area where the feel safe is what a crate feels like to a pup! Leave nothing in the crate with the dog, it just makes them hot. Have him in your bedroom and let him out to go potty outside when he wines or make noise. If he has been out and crys, lightly shake his crate and tell him a firm "NO" "Quite"! In time that will become a command for you to tell him to be quite all through his life...

Do a search on this website and read up on crate training...it is fundamental to having a good housebroken pup and a pup you can travel with going forward...do your homework!

·
Registered
106 Posts

Hi, I just looked at your schedule again. If you're finding that he's not having enough time between cries and his pottying, I think you should try to not give him the opportunity to cry -- 5 hours in between his last potty of the night and his first potty of the morning might be too long for him. I still have our schedule on our white board up, and we took him out at 1:00 a.m. after his 9:00 bed time and again at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m.

We woke him up and sometimes, he didn't go potty, but at least he had the opportunity. On that schedule, he only once peed in his crate. We did this until he was about 11 weeks. Then we finally got some more sleep, but after 11 weeks, we still got up once a night to take him out. It wasn't until about 3 months when we finally got a full night's rest. Good luck to you! You're in the thick of things now, but everyone here has provided awesome advice for you. Your puppy will be grown and potty trained before you even know it.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
We had 2 crates. One in the bedroom for sleeping, and one in the living room/kitchen area. The one in the living room we had set inside of a large x-pen. Mine is super hot natured, so I had the floor of the x-pen lined with waterproof whelping pads, but I left her crate bare. She figured out that only cool place she could take a nap if she was in there was inside the crate. Worked like a charm. I fed her in the crate, gave her high value treats in the crate, and praised her and gave her treats when she went in on her own. I would take the bed out of the crate and put in a blanket that he can move out of the way if he wants. My girls first night home I had a bed in her crate and she whined and sounded like she was having a heat stroke all night. I finally took out all the bedding and she slept like a baby the rest of the night, and forever after that.

Reactions: Gobi

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I'm going to swing the other way. If the moving him to the crate after he falls asleep is waking him up and making him restless, I would just have a bedtime and put him to bed on a schedule. That's what we do with Molly. She has had the full 42 in crate to herself since she came home at 8 weeks. We do have one of those heartbeat toys in there with her and we turn it on every night for some white noise. There is no bedding b/c she gets hot (and cause she is a 'demon' who chews bedding). The first few nights, she'd cry for about 20 minutes then she'd fall asleep and only wake us up if she had to go outside. Her bedtime is 8pm. If for some reason we feel she spent TOO much time in the crate on any given day we night extend to 8:30 or 9pm but not much later.

FWIW the crate is in the bedroom so she goes to bed before us and we follow later. Idk if it's more helpful that her crate is AWAY from everyone so she has a chance to like settle in the quiet. IME, the whining is just a part of crate training. Don't give in and they will learn whining is not productive and stop it.

·
Premium Member
18,480 Posts
My puppy didn't want bedding in her crate, I think she got too hot. She fussed more often when there was a bed in her crate, and slept longer after I took it out. Since he favors laying on the tile I suggest you take the dog bed out of the crate and just leave the crate pan for him to sleep on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What worked for us was a crate cover to mimic a den like environment. In addition, I slept right next to the crate in the living room for about 3 weeks as it was comforting to my 8 weeks old puppy at the time and easier for me to take him out at night. Eventually, he slept through the night and I went back to my comfy bed.
Thanks a lot for your comment. Great tip! I slept next to the crate in the living room last night. It seems a little better but still a few whining throughout the night. I'm wondering do you take your puppy out for potty at night? if so how many times and what time?

Not only I slept next to him last night, but I also took him out on the deck 3 times for potty which was exhausting but all attempts were successful. 1st attempt @ midnight, 2nd @ 3 am, and 3rd attempt @ 5 am.

Many thanks,
Gobi's parents

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My puppy didn't want bedding in her crate, I think she got too hot. She fussed more often when there was a bed in her crate, and slept longer after I took it out. Since he favors laying on the tile I suggest you take the dog bed out of the crate and just leave the crate pan for him to sleep on.

Thanks for your tip! We took his bed out last night and replaced it with marble and it seems to be working fine. By any chance how did you let your puppy potty at night? Would you get up and take her out? if so, how often?

Many thanks,
Gobi's parents

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to swing the other way. If the moving him to the crate after he falls asleep is waking him up and making him restless, I would just have a bedtime and put him to bed on a schedule. That's what we do with Molly. She has had the full 42 in crate to herself since she came home at 8 weeks. We do have one of those heartbeat toys in there with her and we turn it on every night for some white noise. There is no bedding b/c she gets hot (and cause she is a 'demon' who chews bedding). The first few nights, she'd cry for about 20 minutes then she'd fall asleep and only wake us up if she had to go outside. Her bedtime is 8pm. If for some reason we feel she spent TOO much time in the crate on any given day we night extend to 8:30 or 9pm but not much later.

FWIW the crate is in the bedroom so she goes to bed before us and we follow later. Idk if it's more helpful that her crate is AWAY from everyone so she has a chance to like settle in the quiet. IME, the whining is just a part of crate training. Don't give in and they will learn whining is not productive and stop it.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and tips. It's good to know it took your pup a few nights and you adjust the bedtime accordingly. We also have the heartbeat toy for our boy.

On average how often did your puppy wakes you up for potty when he/she was around 10 weeks old?

Many thanks,
Helen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We had 2 crates. One in the bedroom for sleeping, and one in the living room/kitchen area. The one in the living room we had set inside of a large x-pen. Mine is super hot natured, so I had the floor of the x-pen lined with waterproof whelping pads, but I left her crate bare. She figured out that only cool place she could take a nap if she was in there was inside the crate. Worked like a charm. I fed her in the crate, gave her high value treats in the crate, and praised her and gave her treats when she went in on her own. I would take the bed out of the crate and put in a blanket that he can move out of the way if he wants. My girls first night home I had a bed in her crate and she whined and sounded like she was having a heat stroke all night. I finally took out all the bedding and she slept like a baby the rest of the night, and forever after that.

That's awesome you figured her preference off the bat. Great job! We'll certainly try that. Thanks a lot!

I'm curious how did you let your puppy potty at night when she was at around 10 weeks old or so? If you take her outside, how many times at night and how would you know when to take her out? Sorry for all the questions!

We're currently taking him 2-3 at set times through the night but still figuring our lil guy out...

Many thanks,
Helen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi, I just looked at your schedule again. If you're finding that he's not having enough time between cries and his pottying, I think you should try to not give him the opportunity to cry -- 5 hours in between his last potty of the night and his first potty of the morning might be too long for him. I still have our schedule on our white board up, and we took him out at 1:00 a.m. after his 9:00 bed time and again at 4:00 or 5:00 a.m.

We woke him up and sometimes, he didn't go potty, but at least he had the opportunity. On that schedule, he only once peed in his crate. We did this until he was about 11 weeks. Then we finally got some more sleep, but after 11 weeks, we still got up once a night to take him out. It wasn't until about 3 months when we finally got a full night's rest. Good luck to you! You're in the thick of things now, but everyone here has provided awesome advice for you. Your puppy will be grown and potty trained before you even know it.

Great to know you had set a schedule to let your puppy potty at night and 3 months mark. We're still figuring our 10 weeks old puppy out. We try potty outside 2-3 times at night considering his bedtime 8 pm.

I'm curious did you ignore when he/she whines at night? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Gobi's parents

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dogs are 'denning' animals, like their ancient relatives, they like to have a safe place to sleep and rest. A small quite area where the feel safe is what a crate feels like to a pup! Leave nothing in the crate with the dog, it just makes them hot. Have him in your bedroom and let him out to go potty outside when he wines or make noise. If he has been out and crys, lightly shake his crate and tell him a firm "NO" "Quite"! In time that will become a command for you to tell him to be quite all through his life...

Do a search on this website and read up on crate training...it is fundamental to having a good housebroken pup and a pup you can travel with going forward...do your homework!

Thanks a lot for all the tips. I'm curious how many times on average your puppy whines at night and you took him/her out? And starting at what age your puppy started sleeping throughout the night? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think that maybe this could be an opportunity for you to "ease into" crate training. For us, we didn't put our puppy in a crate until about the fourth night he was with us. Instead, we fortified a safe pen for him and put his crate in there (door was open). We allowed him the option to go in and out of there as he chose, so that he could view it as a safe place. We put the scent of his brother in there that was on a blanket and a toy, and fed him treats and meals in there. Miraculously, he chose to sleep and nap in there all on his own. After a few nights of getting used to his new environment (our home) and his crate, only then did we lock the crate at night. It probably took us three nights to get there though.
So great to know about your puppy's crate/pen experience. We followed your advice last night in addition to sleeping on a couch next to his pen/crate. It seems to be working a little better but of course still some whining.

One last question. How did you deal with the potty at night? Did you have set times to take your puppy out at night? If so how many times/what times?

Or did you take your puppy out for potty every time when he/she whines? If so, how many times on average? Or any other ways?

Sorry for all the questions. We really do appreciate your time and helpful tips! :)

Best,
Gobi's parents

1 - 20 of 37 Posts