Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. There is an AKC breeder called "Country Hills Big Paws" in California selling golden retriever puppies for $1700 with many top health claims checked on the AKC website. This seems possibly too good to be true. Could anyone please help me investigate the breeders and the parent dogs to help me find out health and breeding quality or any other information, or if they could be a scam or anything else? I will post information below on the breeding dogs they have listed:

Sire: Ranger's Sweet Boy Chase AKC DNA #V854067 (SR96883201)
Dam: Raven Of Grand Legacy Acres (SR99326005)

The listing says the breeders do all of the following:

"The applicable health screens have been performed on the sire and dam as recommended by the Parent Club for this breed. I provide a health guarantee for the puppies I sell. I will provide a written bill of sale detailing responsibilities for the buyer and the seller. If the puppy buyer cannot keep a puppy purchased from me, I will take the puppy back under all conditions. After my puppies are permanently identified, I enroll them in AKC Reunite."

I also see these puppies being advertised on another largescale puppy directory (not sure if I am allowed to say it here) and it describes the parent dogs as having: "19 Different Champion Dogs in their Pedigree."

The breeder name listed on the puppy directory reviews is "Tom Westwood" and possibly "Jennifer Westwood" because a Jennifer is named in the same place. The buyer mentions that the breeders were in Missouri, but now their golden retriever listings are in Sacramento, California.

Thank you everyone for your help.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently not. Neither dog can be found on OFA.

Why are you interested in this breeder?
Hello and thank you, I was searching for breeders and reading every listing and source. I came across them and based on what I have learned from all of you, they seemed maybe too good to be true. I felt it would be prudent to inquire here since you are all much more knowledgeable at spotting "bad news breeders" so to speak. On their AKC page they make it look like they have done every health test required for their dogs and seem perfect, but it didn't seem to sit right. I didn't know if I am being paranoid or if this could be a puppy mill or scam, or maybe the breeders ran a puppy mill in Missouri then changed their name and started anew in California. Again maybe I am being too cautious. You are all great sleuths. I'm appreciative of your time.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
I found sire's pedigree- nothing impressive- and he has no health clearances. The dam's pedigree is not on our database, and she too lacks an OFA page, so has no health clearances. So- from my perspective, breeder didn't accidentally check those boxes so breeder is a liar. When someone lies about what they are making puppies from, they will also lie about other things so...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found sire's pedigree- nothing impressive- and he has no health clearances. The dam's pedigree is not on our database, and she too lacks an OFA page, so has no health clearances. So- from my perspective, breeder didn't accidentally check those boxes so breeder is a liar. When someone lies about what they are making puppies from, they will also lie about other things so...
In my short time here, I have to tell you, you post incredibly helpful information and I can tell you care a lot about golden retrievers. I just wanted to let you know I noticed, and again to share gratitude with you. Thank you. It is scary to think there are breeders out there lying. It mostly makes me feel very sad for all the innocent puppies possibly being bred with serious health problems. They are the real victims.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a little more searching to see, and I hope this helps others. I searched the names plus golden retrievers and found an old listing of another business called "Grand Legacy Acres" on the Better Business Bureau with some scary complaints mentioning dogs, health, and what sure seems to be these breeders only then they were in Crane, Missouri. It has the same breeder last name of "Westwood" and they sell golden retrievers and other breeds. Now they seem to have changed their business name (Country Hills Big Paws) with a new AKC page.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I did a little more searching to see, and I hope this helps others. I searched the names plus golden retrievers and found an old listing of another business called "Grand Legacy Acres" on the Better Business Bureau with some scary complaints mentioning dogs, health, and what sure seems to be these breeders only then they were in Crane, Missouri. It has the same breeder last name of "Westwood" and they sell golden retrievers and other breeds. Now they seem to have changed their business name (Country Hills Big Paws) with a new AKC page.

This looks like BAD NEWS. Their reviews are all bad and I can’t imagine how many more there are. I’d look into the NorCal and SoCal breeder threads on here. They are very helpful and will allow you to find a better breeder. Although I must warn…im 99% sure you WILL NOT be finding a good breed pairing with proper health tests in place for under 3000 over there. You have a good chance at not finding one for under 3500 depending on the breeders. Well bred Goldens are incredibly expensive to keep ,show , and breed which is why you’ll find them to be more. AND not mention are in high demand…most breeders have very long waitlists. Good luck in your search🤍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Price isn't too much an issue for me, but by the same token it seems like price, even when too high, isn't a reliable indicator of trustworthiness of the breeder. In the greater scheme of things, I think it's too bad that goldens have become this popular because it's led to a flood of bad breeders, scams, and just an overall stressful and difficult process of getting a puppy. Since I am not in a hurry, my thought is that I may just give up on this for now. It's all a bit much. I am thankful to have learned a lot here and will continue learning.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Price isn't too much an issue for me, but by the same token it seems like price, even when too high, isn't a reliable indicator of trustworthiness of the breeder. In the greater scheme of things, I think it's too bad that goldens have become this popular because it's led to a flood of bad breeders, scams, and just an overall stressful and difficult process of getting a puppy. Since I am not in a hurry, my thought is that I may just give up on this for now. It's all a bit much. I am thankful to have learned a lot here and will continue learning.
I would definetly just use the current threads for California and then reach out to those people. That’s the easiest way to find a well bred puppy in my opinion:) have a blessed rest of your day and I hope you find your perfect furry family members🙃🤍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone. There is an AKC breeder called "Country Hills Big Paws" in California selling golden retriever puppies for $1700 with many top health claims checked on the AKC website. This seems possibly too good to be true. Could anyone please help me investigate the breeders and the parent dogs to help me find out health and breeding quality or any other information, or if they could be a scam or anything else? I will post information below on the breeding dogs they have listed:

"The applicable health screens have been performed on the sire and dam as recommended by the Parent Club for this breed. I provide a health guarantee for the puppies I sell. I will provide a written bill of sale detailing responsibilities for the buyer and the seller. If the puppy buyer cannot keep a puppy purchased from me, I will take the puppy back under all conditions. After my puppies are permanently identified, I enroll them in AKC Reunite."

I also see these puppies being advertised on another largescale puppy directory (not sure if I am allowed to say it here) and it describes the parent dogs as having: "19 Different Champion Dogs in their Pedigree."

The breeder name listed on the puppy directory reviews is "Tom Westwood" and possibly "Jennifer Westwood" because a Jennifer is named in the same place. The buyer mentions that the breeders were in Missouri, but now their golden retriever listings are in Sacramento, California.

You should learn how to use k9data.com. There is a wealth of information you can find there which will include pedigrees, clearances and generational information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should learn how to use k9data.com. There is a wealth of information you can find there which will include pedigrees, clearances and generational information.
Thank you for the tip! Based on the overall situation with fraud and popularity of goldens, we have paused our search and may adopt an older dog and/or other breed that far less popular. It’s really taken us aback how much deception, cruelty and other issues are plaguing unethical golden retriever sellers and bad breeding programs. We just don’t feel comfortable at this time.

·
Registered
9,847 Posts
unfortunately it's not limited to Golden Retriever breeders- we're lucky we have a database which gives us another tool besides OFA. You can't count on AKC Marketplace, nor can you count on GoodDog- both gloss over real problems or ignore them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for the tip! Based on the overall situation with fraud and popularity of goldens, we have paused our search and may adopt an older dog and/or other breed that far less popular. It’s really taken us aback how much deception, cruelty and other issues are plaguing unethical golden retriever sellers and bad breeding programs. We just don’t feel comfortable at this time.
You should not let that dissuade you from seeking a Golden, which in my opinion are the most wonderful dogs. There is deception, cruelty and unethical behavior in nearly every aspect of human endeavors. If you use the expertise and the guidance you'll find on this site you can find a reputable breeder. Just take your time but don't give up on the breed.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Good for you, for stepping back when you don't feel comfortable, not a good position to be, to make the right decision.
I am sure there is a right dog out there for you, good luck.

·
Kate
23,007 Posts
Hmmm.... if you have 10 golden retriever breeders....

6 of them are reputable but charge a little extra because they can.

4 are bad breeders - but charge less.

If puppy shopper skips the high priced breeders and only focuses on the cheap but crappy ones.... discovers they are terrible and decides to bail out of the breed completely....That is fine. Just don't paint the whole breed with the same brush. There definitely are excellent breeders in this breed who DO have pups available on occasion.

The stuff that makes those breeders crappy... they can be more common in other breeds which do not have the same focus on clearances and ethics.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for posting. I’ve actually gotten two dogs from them when they were in Missouri and have always thought there was something shady going on. Both of mine have the same sire. Both were a little older. Maybe they weren’t desirable and didn’t get picked like their litter mates, but I wanted a playmate for another golden who was already 4 months when I looked. Both have had skin issues and health issues. I adore my babies and would t trade them for the world. Neither came with any paperwork that I was promised. I was told they come from same “champion bloodline”. I’ve seen numerous complaints with them taking money from people. So it appears that maybe they have gone down hill and moved locations. So I guess buyer beware.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I came here to give you a warning for this breeder. We rescued our girl from Tom and Jennifer Westwood (then went under the name Westwood breeder). They put her on sale (a few weeks after she had 11 puppies) in May 2020 and after I finished a phone call with him I knew I need to rescue that dog. He didn't care where she is going, or what we planning to do with her, he just didn't want to breed her anymore and it was her time to go. He described her as "smaller golden" because she weighed 52lb. He was located in Missouri (Farm). We organized transportation and he sent another dog with her to a different family that lived in the same state as I. I haven't seen another dog, but the delivery guy told us that we were happy since the other dog looks very sick. Our girl came underweight, with a double ear infection, skin infection, without a birth certificate, proof of any vaccination except rabies received a few days before she was sent to us. Although she physically looked exhausted, mentally she was good, with no sign of trauma or abuse. It took us 3 months to put her in good shape and we hired a trainer since she didn't know how to behave in the house. She is a great dog and she knows we saved her.
Dog Vertebrate Green Dog breed Carnivore
Dog Organism Carnivore Dog breed Screenshot

·
Registered
2 Posts
I came here to give you a warning for this breeder. We rescued our girl from Tom and Jennifer Westwood (then went under the name Westwood breeder). They put her on sale (a few weeks after she had 11 puppies) in May 2020 and after I finished a phone call with him I knew I need to rescue that dog. He didn't care where she is going, or what we planning to do with her, he just didn't want to breed her anymore and it was her time to go. He described her as "smaller golden" because she weighed 52lb. He was located in Missouri (Farm). We organized transportation and he sent another dog with her to a different family that lived in the same state as I. I haven't seen another dog, but the delivery guy told us that we were happy since the other dog looks very sick. Our girl came underweight, with a double ear infection, skin infection, without a birth certificate, proof of any vaccination except rabies received a few days before she was sent to us. Although she physically looked exhausted, mentally she was good, with no sign of trauma or abuse. It took us 3 months to put her in good shape and we hired a trainer since she didn't know how to behave in the house. She is a great dog and she knows we saved her. View attachment 888979 View attachment 888980
I fear this is what happened to my dogs moms. I believe they were sisters. From the looks of other posts in the last couple of years, they were still using the dad (same for both dogs) to breed with. Both mine had the same issues. Skin. Ears. Under weight. Giardia. Lack of paperwork.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts