Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure there are a few people here that remember my posts about Nana having giardia and coccidia- well, I just finished treating her for the 3rd time, and this past week she's been having problems with awful diarrhea again.

I gave her a bit of pepto to calm her tummy and it worked wonders, and I took her off it the second day. She seemed to be doing fine, but today she had diarrhea all over the kitchen.

Here's where things get a little confusing. It doesn't smell like the giardia-coccidia poop, and I've gotten extremely used to noticing the smell even before the runny poops happen. Can it be caused by giardia/coccidia even if it doesn't smell the part?

Also, on both the days that she had the loose stools this time, I gave her rawhide (supervised). She did consume it in small bits, so I allowed her to chew it. I've since thrown it away. Could rawhide potentially cause watery diarrhea that lasts an entire night and day?

I have bought pumpkin, and I'm planning to fast her for 12 hours before giving her pumpkin and rice tomorrow. Is there any more advice past this? She is still her extremely active self and is drinking normally.

I'm reluctant to bring her back to the vet for several reasons... She has been in and out of there for giardia/coccidia, and none of the treatments have pulled her out of it. I live in a very dog friendly apartment complex (where residents don't always pick up after their dog...) and I think that's why she keeps getting reinfected... it seems that diarrhea is her only symptom and even at its worse, it doesn't affect her energy levels. On top of all of this, I've run into unexpected bills and with my new, lower paying job, I really can't afford to be making trips to the vet that I may not need. Not until I find a second job (the problem is that I'm working at a new company and they don't have enough money to give me enough work hours... a second job would help me fill those in.)

What else can I do? If you more experienced dog owners think I should take her back to the vet for yet another dose of panacur/metro + albon, I will definitely take her, no matter what my financial situation. My animals are the most important thing in the world to me- they are my own therapy pets and keep me sane... I would sooner starve than have them be sick.

Oh, and just because it's been a while, attached is a current picture of her. =) She's snuggling up to someone's butt, and also up way past her bedtime ;)

Attachments

·
Loki's Mum
528 Posts
I don't have any advice to give you, but just wanted to say that she's beautiful, & I'm sorry to hear that she has this problem. I do hope someone with experience of this, will be able to help.

·
Registered
Rocky, Golden Retriever.
7,285 Posts
I am very sorry to hear Nana is ill again. I cannot offer advice, but hope your girl is better soon.

·
Apollo & Knightley's mum!
279 Posts
Have you considered that a food allergy or sensitivity could be contributing to the situation?

My older dog had a lot of runny stool and diarrhea when he was young. After ruling out other causes, I tried five different brands of kibble, including a super super premium grain free brand. He continued to have uncontrolled diarrhea and loose stool (diarrhea is when the dog can't control it, and it'll often have an accident indoors... loose stool is normal regularity, but very loose - usually diarrhea is from infection/disease and loose stool is often food related).

Anyway, at five months old I finally swapped him to raw food, and the change was miraculous. I use something called the whole prey model, 80% muscle, 10% bone, 10% organs (half of which must be liver). Bone is a constipating agent, so if the stool is still loose you can up your dogs bone levels to maybe 15%. You can even try that on a kibble diet (add some chicken drumsticks to her diet or something), although you won't get the full effects of eliminating all the grain and other bulking fillers they put in kibble. Raw doesn't have to be expensive, you just have to buy in bulk of sensible cuts and parts of animals.

Theoretically rawhide could cause it if she doesn't eat it often, or if she has a sensitivity to whatever animal it was made out of?

Also, with all the antibiotics, I am assuming you have given probiotics now it has finished?? Because that much antibiotics will definitely have destroyed her gut bacteria and that will be enough to give diarrhea or at the very least loose stools. So if you haven't, put her on a good quality probiotic.

Fasting for a day or so is a good way to go, then perhaps try half a chicken frame with your pumpkin and rice. Then it's up to you what path you choose. If it continues, definitely see the vet again! Good luck.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
After treating for such I have always found diarrhea returns and we just work through it. Usually within a week we are back to normal but I put them on Forta-Flora (probotics) everyday. As said by Lyssa, we need to help them reset the gut. It takes about a week after meds are stopped and using probotics to do this. Anything rawhide also gives my bunch the runs too.

What food is she on? I agree with the above post in that we found our dogs were really sensitive to corn. We went to a grain free food and stools straightened out. But I took about 2 wks to slowly change, very slow so no tummy upsets.

I honestly believe it may be the meds. During the time Coop was on it he was fine, but everytime he was finished the diarrhea started again. Finally just waited, kept his food the same and let it run it course. Lots to clean up and he was bathed almost every day so no reinfection, but suddenly his stools started to firm. Perhaps you just need time and probotics.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Nana

I think that the rawhide could be the problem (diarrhea)-don't give her anymore.

We were always told by the vet do give WELL cooked hamburger and rice when our dogs were sick.

Were you at the vet recently? If so, sometimes they will just answer questions over the phone. I would worry about her becoming dehydrated.
Are her gums nice and pink?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Rawhide will set off severe diarrhea in both my goldens. I agree with the above poster about giving her probiotics, I use the human kind-Jamieson Acidophilius Probiotic complex available at Walmart. You could also try Imodium, our breeder and vet recommend it. It slows down how fast food travels through the intestinal track. I have always had good results, it works almost immediately. However, if you do not see very quick improvement, you should probably take her back to the vet.

Has she had a really thorough bath? My understanding is that the giardia or coccidia spores (don't remeber which) can stick to the fur and the dog then licks themselves and ingests the spores. Can you take her elsewhere to go to the bathroom? Once giardia and coccidia (again, can't remember which) are in the ground they are very hard to get rid of.

I don't know where you are located, but my vet as started using a antibiotic called Tylan for diarrhea that does not respond to metronidazole. If you take her back maybe you could ask your vet about this.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Rawhide= bad ;)

What kibble are you feeding?
Try to only give kibble, no treats for now. Canned pumpkin is a good idea to try. You might have to wean her off of the metronidazole so I would call the vet, pick up more pills and slowly move from ex. 1 pill 2x/day to a half pill 2x/day to 1/4 pill 2x/day to 1/2 pill every other day. I had to do this with my dogs last year after attending a CRUDDY dog show last winter. I feel your pain. :)

I'd recommend a probiotic. The Purina Forti-Flora is a good one. I use Natures Farmacy Digestive Enzymes. Though I might recommend trying the paste for fast effects.

http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/details.php?prodId=199

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
When my Neeko had the runs (he's 12 weeks old) my vet told me I was feeding him too much, and to put regular baby rice cereal in with his kibble to thicken his poo.....Maybe this could help your poor lil Nana....:crossfing

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Ask your vet if you can try Tylan.

Reactions: Deber

·
AKA: Joyce
7,442 Posts
Rawhide gave Ky the runs something awful. It took me awhile to put 2 & 2 together but when I did I stopped all rawhide and it solved the problem. Good luck, poor pup

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I agree with Sally's Mom try Tylan.

Also, if you can take a baby wipe and wipe off her feet and coat with a few after she goes out it may help get any sort of infected feces or spores off of her. I'd also take her to the bathroom some place else if at all possible. Unscooped poop is one of my pet peeves as it spreads so many things.

Try feeding smaller quantities more frequently to see if things improve.

If she has recurrent giardia or coccidia then you really do need more antibiotics. Will your vet run a fecal without an exam? I'm constantly running one down for my Toby after he eats something he shouldn't out walking.

IBD is another possibility, though she's young.

Just one more note, as with humans, not all dogs respond to probiotics. Toby doesn't. He has some digestive enzyme deficiencies (diagnosed through Texas A&M) and probiotics actually make him worse.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I agree with the others, stay away from the rawhide. It bothers Liberty too. Also, any of those bully sticks, chewy type things with the brownish coating cause diarrhea every time for Liberty. I'm betting that is the problem!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMG, you guys are AMAZING! Thank you so much for the wealth of information. I will never give rawhide to her again, and today, her stool is still a little soft but not too bad... I can pick it up without smearing.

I feed Nana Nutro Natural choice a little over 3 cups a day. I feed her just plain kibble, and for treats I have whatever biscuits trader joes is selling at the time. Previously, I had her on Merrick grain free but while initially she did well, she went through s period of constipation and then explosive diarrhea. Previous to that, she ate innova puppy, and that produced loose stools everyday until the switch. This current food seems promising- she was having normal stools until the rawhide!

I will definitely call my vet to ask about probiotics and Tylan!
Her gums are still nice and pink.

She had a bath during the treatment and everyday I wiped her butt with baby wipes... I will make sure to wipe her paws and fur more often now!

Thank you thank you thank you guys so much for the advice!!

·
Banned
2,299 Posts
Nothing at all worked for my puppy until I tried Tylan powder, it did the trick! I also got a bag of kibble from vet called low residue intestinal and fed it for 2 weeks along with Tylan powder, after done with that kibble I put him on ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach

1 - 17 of 17 Posts