Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But who is Hootch?
I see alot of "we love you hootch" and other phrases with Hootch's name in it. So I was just wondering who he is, thank you.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Ha! I have been trying to figure that out myself! I was doing some digging around yesterday and came up empty handed! I am absolutely terrible about searching old threads though! This must be an art I have yet to master!

·
Registered
508 Posts
my guess is he was Beaushell's partner and he passed away. Or he was a very good friend of hers and many others on this forum.

·
Premium Member
18,636 Posts
Hooch is a very well loved member of the board, who sadly passed away. His wit, humor, wisdom, and genuine caring, and strength of character made a huge impact on all of us. He battled through over a year of a critical heart problem, and kept us all laughing even through the worst of his condition.

We remember and miss him every day. Here is his memorial thread: http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=47642&highlight=John+Vayda

I would encourage you to look up his member account and read some of his postings, he was a special man.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Mrs Hooch still comes on here once in a while. Her name is Cindy. He was quite a guy who had humor and empathy at the same time. I know he helped me out quite a bit as my step dad was dying. I am only one of the many that miss him around here!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He was a great man that battled a terrible heart problem but never gave up even when the doctors said he wouldnt make it. Me and him became friends when my Beau had a seizure late at night and Hooch was online. I was scared and upset, he sat up and chatted with me online until Beau settled down for the night. And after that we became friends. When one of his dogs had puppies I got one (Bama) and got to meet him in person. After that we talked all the time and when something happened medically I would be the person to post it on the forum to let everyone know. He always would tell you like it is but never in a way to be hurtful. Generous to a fault with everyone and had a funniest wit. Even in his hardest days with his health he always made everyone laugh. The forum was his life because his health prevented him from getting out most of the time. He was basically house bound.
A good friend to so many and a great man.

Reactions: mylissyk

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
What a honor it is to have the opportunity to call someone like that friend.
I'm sorry for your loss.
I would have liked to have had the chance to talk to him.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
It sounds like us newer members missed out....

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Hooch died not long after I started posting here - I talked to him one night in chat and he had me rolling with laughter, I had no idea he was ill until I started seeing posts from other people. I wish I'd known him longer.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Yes, I get teary just reading this thread.. Hooch had a heart the size of TX and a wit to match. This board was SO important to him, and I hope we always keep reaching out to help those with questions with kindness and wit. It's the best way to honor and remember him (IMHO). Yes, you newbies missed out on knowing an extraordinary man, but this board is a wonderful reflection of him. And let's hope Hoochisms are always found, shared and appreciated!!!!

AND for a good laugh..... do you all remember his posting when he was so stoned on meds......... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
I have a little seizure dog too and I "met" Hooch late one night on the forum, after Morgan had bad seizure. He was so kind and caring , he got me calmed down enough to go back to sleep. We would often talk late a night and I always said he must be a vampire. I had no idea he was sick, he NEVER complained !! I miss him very much too !!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Gosh yes. That was so funny!!!!! His writing was slurred and just not making any sense. The thing I remember was him hanging out of the hospital window to get a signal to post here. And when he went for his consultation about the heart transplant and was walking around the hospital trying to find a signal so he could tell everyone he was ok. Just the vision of the open back of the robe had everyone laughing.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
BTW, as to the title of this thread, we could never get mad at anyone asking about Hooch. He was our dear dear friend, and many of us think GRF and Hooch go hand in hand. I'm glad that the newbies can get to know him, even if it's from our memories and love.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Hooch was a BIG Alabama Crimson Tide fan and a Nebraska Cornhusker fan. He was in the Husker Marching Band when he was in college. I used to love to talk football with him as well as golden issues and family. He always had something encouraging, supportive and funny to say.
I miss him all the time here but especially right now during college football season.
He had an unbelievably positive attitude. and he called it like he saw it , blunt but kind. We call his sayings"Hoochisms"
One was "You can't cure stupid"
I say that alot. : )

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Gosh,i am reading this tread and crying.What a special MAN he was!!!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts