Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Judge is only 4 1/2 months old but he is getting to be a very big boy. 2 weeks ago when we weighed him he was 52 pounds!

He plays often with other dogs but they have pretty much all been big dogs. This weekend some of our very good friends came over with their Boston Terrier who is about 1/3 Judge's size. Judge LOVES to play and his idea of playing is jumping on the other dogs, chasing, running around and play biting/mouthing. This is how his parents play with him, how he played with litter mates and how he plays with all his big dog buddies. However it was a little too rough for the little Boston. He was not aggressive at all, and certainly didn't mean to be rough but that is just how he plays.

The owners of the Boston (our friends) were noticeably uncomfortable with the way he played with her and they kept picking her up. Eventually we had to put Judge outside which broke my heart.

Is there a way to teach him to be gentle with smaller dogs? Is this something he will learn as he gets older?

I really want them to be able to play together because they are some of our closest friends.

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I'm interested in hearing what someone has to say. Hank has always played with his brother, so I can only imagine how it would be for a small playmate...He plays rough!!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would correct him when he is rough. But usually the dogs will work it out. Without seeing them play it is hard to say. But I would not put him outside, put a leash on him and keep him next to you or in his crate. Sometimes puppies can get overstimulated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was just very excited! I would have just let them work it out as you said, however the other owners weren't comfortable with that and I have to understand. I did keep him close to me on a leash for awhile but put him outside for about 45 minutes while I couldn't keep him right by me. I tried getting him to lay down next to the other dog which he did if I was sitting by him but he didn't like it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts