Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Back again with another opinion question. My sister has a german shepherd (almost 100 lbs) who is actually a very sweet dog. He is playful and happy and typically submissive. We have let Koda meet him a few times now. We would like to let them have play dates as she gets older and a little bigger but I am uncomfortable with the way he plays and I am not entirely sure it is always play.

They start out running around and chasing each other. Everything is good, usually Koda is trying to lick his face all the time at this point. As they play more and more he starts to pin her down on her neck while she is on her back. She is a submissive dog so when she sees him coming she rolls on her back and this prompts him to put his mouth around her neck, he doesnt bite down ever and she has never wimpered from it and she always wants to go back to playing but my sister usually calls him off of her when he does this because he isn't letting go soon enough for our comfort. I hate seeing it and wanted to know if this is normal behaviour for two dogs playing or if he is exerting dominance over her..

Like I said, I wuold love to set up play dates for them and let her watch Koda during the day when i am gone but I am not comfortable leaving her with him a whole day.

Let me know what you think!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Koda

He is establishing dominance over Koda, but just with the SIZE DIFFERENCE between the GSD and Koda, I would not want them together unless I was there to supervise.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea thats my thought. My sister kept telling me he is just playing and I didn't think that was exactly play.

I won't let them together without supervision ever. And I would never let her with him without me until she is probably a year old and is closer to his size.

·
Premium Member
18,617 Posts
This is pretty typical play between dogs, they should take turns being the one laying down, and as she gets bigger that probably will happen. As long as she is not squealing, and he is not drawing blood I would let them play. The fact that she goes back for more indicates she's having a good time. It is perfectly fine for you and your sister to control the situation and call a stop whenever you feel you should, but for the most part it's just good doggy fun.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Also, GSDs play a LOT differently than many breeds. They are noisy, growling and barking and more physical than a lot of dogs. It sounds like he's just playing with her, especially if she's not crying out when he pins her. It's probably just his style of play. I would just keep supervising them while they play.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.