Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I have a 14.5 wk old female golden and a 5 yr old male yellow lab who are starting to play together. I have had the pup since she was 8 wks old,and at first my lab wanted nothing to do with her.He is a timid dog(not at all the typical lab),so I let him set the pace of interaction with her.

He want to play now with her,but I think it soon escalates to him getting too rough. I stop the playtime but I'm worried that he might get the wrong message from me.I have to tell him to stop and kind of correct him because the puppy isn't going to listen to me at this point.

How do you all handle a much bigger adult dog(90#) and a puppy(20#)?
What things do you see that tell you the play is escalating and now is the time to step in? TIA

·
Registered
154 Posts
Our situation is pretty similar to yours. We have a 13 week old puppy and a 6 yr. old, both Goldens. Same thing, at first our 6 yr old did not want to play and would get up and leave. Now they're good buddies, but like you said it can get a little rough at times. I try to watch the puppy for signs that she isn't having "fun" anymore. Running to tight spots where the big dog can't reach, or if she is trying to run off and the big dog pins her right away every time.
It seems to happen more outside, when the 6 yr old starts running around too. Inside they play a lot with the big dog just laying down.
Luckily, Maggie responds really well when we give her a warning to be gentle. She'll back off a bit and give Bailey some breathing room. Bailey's only yelped twice...Maggie always backs off when this happens.
I also figure that if Bailey has had enough, she'd stop jumping into her face. As long as she has an opportunity to leave the session I think things are usually OK.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
bumping up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts