Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate having to put the "Chuckit" away when the snow comes but we just keep losing ball in the snow. Does anyone out there have any solutions? Maybe a strong scent that she won't be put off by?

All ideas welcome, thanks.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
We play no matter what the weather. My American Pit Bull Terrier Vendetta loves her tennis balls. I have taught her to " find it" she will put her nose right down in the snow and smell for her tennis balls.

Last year my sister put duck scent on the chuck-it balls and it worked well.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
We change to a ball from a local toy store that has kids' kite material as a "tail" for the ball. The snow gets so deep in Maine we lose too many.

·
Super Moderator
4,308 Posts
Asia can usually sniff out the ball in the snow but we have lost the odd one if the snow is too deep. I had a wrapped 3 pack of her favorite squeaky tennis balls under the tree ysterday and that was the only present she went after and ripped into immediately! A toy that doesn't sink may b the only answer but they love their tennis balls the most!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
We have a Chuck-it plush ball that stays on top of the snow. Fiona loves it. You can't throw it very far but when you are wading through snow up to your knees...

·
Charlotte
6,580 Posts
We lost a ball in the snow this morning. Luckily Jess has more in his Christmas stocking. I think I'm gonna try the kong wubba next outing.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
tennis ball tied into the toe of an old sock works well...sock holds scent really well and can be found more easily...

Reactions: Charliethree

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
We lost a ball in the snow this morning. Luckily Jess has more in his Christmas stocking. I think I'm gonna try the kong wubba next outing.
Look at the bright side, last spring when the snow started melting, Cookie was so happy to "rediscover" all the balls we lost during the winter! :)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My Penny is a frisbee dog, and has probably over 20 frisbees. However, towards the end of winter she usually has only a few. I just stock up for the winters and accept that we will lose some. When spring comes, and the snow melts, we get them all back!

·
Mr. Fancy Pants and Roo
1,102 Posts
We tried a tennis ball with dex but once it got lost underneath the snow he'd just give up, but a frisbee works great! The snow is really crisp and the frisbee slides right across the snow.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
We live near a tennis court, so Finn collects all the missed balls year round. In winter, I don't mind losing 20 or 30 to the deep snow, since there are plenty more where those came from! Besides, they're fun to find as the snow's melting:)

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts