Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shoob&Sheeb n Slater too
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Slater does something we have not seen before. When he wants to play he will go to his toybox and pick something. He will bring it to you and growl waiting for you to take it. There is no aggression at all and the tail is wagging big time. After grabbing the toy and tossing it this continues, for as long as you can keep throwing the toy.
Just wondering if any one else has seen this odd behavior.

·
Registered
819 Posts
It's normal as far as I can see. He's just using as a way to gain your attention. My folks have a cat that will meow, and purr more loudly when she wants attention. Scarlett barked some if she really wanted your attention, now if your on the ground wif her. she just climbs in your lap.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Lucy and Desi both give a throaty growl with mouth closed, no teeth showing, in order to get my attention. I prefer it over barking.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Bogart play growls when he playes with other dogs but when he plays tug or anthing else with me he doesn't do that.
Elke, Zsazsa and Bogart

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Two of mine do that but Daisy does a snorty growl and sounds like a pig. It is just too cute.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Finn runs around with one or two toys in his mouth before we go for walks. Some folks would say he growls, but it isn't really growling, more like warbling in his throat:) If the tail is wagging and it's playful, it's just your pup's way of chatting to you!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Harvey growls when he really likes somebody or if he's trying to show off one of his toys. I used to dogsit for a dog and every time someone came to the house, he would grab 2-3 toys in his mouth and run to the door "growling"/howling. Very cute and I think it's normal. The first time Harvey ever did it was with the vet (he LOVES him) and the vet seemed to think it was normal (and adorable).

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We just always said Maggie was "talking". I remember explaining it to visitors that thought she was growling at them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sounds like Doggy talk to me, Bella will put her paw up and sort of moan to encourage you to stroke her.

Works all the time she will always get a stroke, she sometimes does it when you stop stroking her.

Tail is always wagging so no concerns there.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Finn always growls in the morning to let us know that he is up and we need to get our butts out of bed. Sometimes we oblige and sometimes we don't. If we stay in bed longer, he will lay back down and try to get us up a little later.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Brady play growls big time. Especially when we play on the floor with him. Sometimes he get so into it you'd swear he was going to rip your arm off.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
We all laugh at Flora when we play tug-of-war because she does a lot more growling than she does actual tugging! If we stop pulling on the toy she'll give a really insistent growl and nudge the toy at our legs or arms.

Carmella growled when playing right up into her senior years. She was so sweet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts