Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I wanted to share our Sunday lunch with you since you've enjoyed my earlier homemade pizza adventures. I made the dough for the crust in my bread baker last night, as well as a very spicy (garlic) red sauce. Today I rolled the dough out and put it in my cast iron pan, added the red sauce, threw on five or six chopped garlic cloves, some spinach, peppers, canadian bacon and cheese--yummy, but a tad bit too spicy from the garlic. The garlic will probably ward off the evil spirts for a while though. ;). Goldensrbest, if you ever come down to visit I'll make sure to make you one of these, with a little less garlic. :)

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was really good, and no leftovers! I'll be happy to make some if you guys come on by, after Toby is given the all-clear by his ophthalmologist to jump on you and lick your faces in greeting!

·
Tucker's Human ~ Melissa
817 Posts
oooooh! The pizza looks so delicious! Did you cook it in the oven or was it over a grill? Like everyone else - I wanna come over!!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oooooh! The pizza looks so delicious! Did you cook it in the oven or was it over a grill? Like everyone else - I wanna come over!!
I usually cook it outside on the grill, but I'm staying indoors with my recuperating dog (cataract surgery--and he doesn't need to be out in sunlight) so I just stuck it in the oven today. If I cook it on the outside grill I try to remove it from the cast iron pan a few minutes before it's done to get the bottom nice and toasty.

If you guys are coming, would you mind bringing some of your fabulous fall apples? We can make a nice Apple Crisp with them...I'll supply the ice cream to melt on top of the hot crisp! I can pick up apples at the grocery store, but they aren't as fresh and tasty as apples off the trees. Some of the best apples I've ever eaten came from orchards in Minnesota and Michigan! YUMMY!!

·
Tucker's Human ~ Melissa
817 Posts
I usually cook it outside on the grill, but I'm staying indoors with my recuperating dog (cataract surgery--and he doesn't need to be out in sunlight) so I just stuck it in the oven today. If I cook it on the outside grill I try to remove it from the cast iron pan a few minutes before it's done to get the bottom nice and toasty.

If you guys are coming, would you mind bringing some of your fabulous fall apples? We can make a nice Apple Crisp with them...I'll supply the ice cream to melt on top of the hot crisp! I can pick up apples at the grocery store, but they aren't as fresh and tasty as apples off the trees. Some of the best apples I've ever eaten came from orchards in Minnesota and Michigan! YUMMY!!
Certainly! We have some really nice apples right now - even the little tree in our own backyard produced some nice ones this year. Tucker keeps bringing the fallen ones to me and the neighbor's lab jumps up and grabs them right off the tree! I'm going to have to try your cast iron method of pizza making! Hope your boy recuperates quickly so you can once again hang outside!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
That looks so good.....you better watch posting food that good looking when I live so close.....and I have no issue getting on the floor with Toby so he does not jump and hurt himself. I have a compulsive licker myself....

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Certainly! We have some really nice apples right now - even the little tree in our own backyard produced some nice ones this year. Tucker keeps bringing the fallen ones to me and the neighbor's lab jumps up and grabs them right off the tree! I'm going to have to try your cast iron method of pizza making! Hope your boy recuperates quickly so you can once again hang outside!
The cast iron is great! Just remember to keep it well oiled or the pizza dough will stick! I usually set the oven at 400-450 and pre cook the crust, then add the other stuff and cook some more. I roll the dough out using the Kraft parmesan cheese in place of flour or cornmeal. It works great! I prefer the "real" parmesan hard cheese but the kraft stuff works good for keeping the dough from sticking while you roll it out.

·
Tucker's Human ~ Melissa
817 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts