Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if Ozzie hurt himself, or if the pink spot on his nose is normal. It is about half the size of a dime. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thank you!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hi, the pigmentation of the nose colour can change from pink to black and even vice versa, so if the nose does not look hurt, it's probably fine. It could have been a healed up spot too. If Ozzie is in a lot of sun, you should probably put sunscreen on the nose to protect it from sunburn.

From Depigmentation or Pigmentation Problems :

2) A transient form of the above condition may exist or it may be something else, but some dogs do lose some pigment and then recover the normal coloring of their nose over time. 3) Labradors, Golden retrievers, Bernese Mountain dogs and Siberian huskies may have seasonal variation in the color of the nasal planum, usually lighter in the winter and darker in the summer. The cause of this is not known, either. Some vets refer to this as "snow nose". "

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
And I don't know for sure, but don't the change from black to pink often happen during the winter time? I don't remember for sure, but it seems I've read that at some point....

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
...may have seasonal variation in the color of the nasal planum, usually lighter in the winter and darker in the summer. "
Geez.....I guess I should've finished reading your post before answering myself...

But at least I remembered it right... :D

·
Registered
9,373 Posts
If it is just one round spot, then more then likely it is an injury. If it is an injury, it will turn black again when it heals. Either way, nothing to worry about. Some goldens have more pigmentation then others.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Our Nugget had the pink pigmentation on his nose for a spell. I don't know if this helped or not but we switched from using a plastic feeding bowl to a steel one and his nose turned back to black and never went pink again. He was probably a little over a year old when this happened.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Lucy's nose has always been black, but one day a few weeks ago, It was suddenly changed to a bronze color and has been that way ever since. I thought that was kinda weird.

·
Registered
515 Posts
We call it snow nose, lighter in winter dark again in summer very commmon

·
Registered
168 Posts
Buzz has some on his nose and I was wondering about them. Although his do look a little like scars

·
Registered
355 Posts
If its texture is uneven, it's probably a slight abrasion, as Vern said, and will turn black again. Bentley's done that a couple of times when he rams his nose into some brambly bush.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts