Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I have a 5 month old GR. She is super healthy and active. She recently developed small pimples which did not look normal so we took her to the vet and the vet gave her anti fungal injections on both legs and gave 2 antibiotics ( itraconazole & vitanolone tablets), he also asked me to apply betadine on her once per day. But none of this seems to work and I feel it is spreading slowly. She doesn’t itch, but when i apply betadine i think it burns so she starts barking. Please help. I am a new dog parent and feeling helpless.
attaching the picture stagewise for reference. Thanks in advance.
Eye Eyelash Whiskers Ear Snout
Dog breed Scar Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Carnivore

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,469 Posts
How long ago was the Vet appt.?
The meds may take a day or two to start working before you see an improvement.

If you don't see a difference in a few days, I would call your Vet again.

·
Premium Member
18,617 Posts
I'm not a vet, and you should talk to your vet about this again if you are not satisfied with the treatment, but it looks very much like the staph infection my dog would get occasionally. She would get a course of antibiotics and it would clear up. Maybe you can ask the vet about that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
we all look for answers besides the vet when our dogs are having issues.
YOu need to continue to see your vet.
Sure looks like a pyoderma rash.
The puppies and even adults get this staph infection usually on their inner thighs, and abdomen but it can emerge under the forearms and basically anywhere where their skin is moist.
I bet you either just had a swim or bathed your dog.
Some dogs tend to experience it only as puppies but some dogs will continue to see this rash emerge if they were not thoroughly dried after a bath.
Amoxicillin or Cephalexin are the usual antibiotics they give to treat it.
I like to nail this rash cause it can spread fairly quickly.
I cut their coat as close as possible to the skin so the area does not harbor moisture or the bacteria or fungus.
I scrub the sores with a facecloth soaked with Apply cider vinegar with the mother . I allow this to dry then I apply a thin film of coconut oil. ACV and coconut oil are both antibacteriall and anitfungal.
If your pup continues to lick these sores you will need to cone for a few days. I tend to warp the dog's body in my husband's t shirts so they cant acess the sores. Pyoderma itches and they will scratch or ick the site especially at night
In the future make sure your pup is. dry after a swim or bath. If they swim in cholorine water yo u must rinse them off cause the cholrine is irritating and can create pyoderma.
I have an adult dog who got a bad case of pyoderma at his neutering from the shave blades. I only let him swim up until 3p.m cuase it takes hours for him to dry.
Google pydoerma . Google how to nautrally treat it. Your pictures sure look like he needs medical intervention but the stuff I suggested boots the healign process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts