Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Read Only
Discussion Starter #1
So my Golden Patriot loves the fluff out of pillows does anybody know a way to teach him pillows are a no no. I mean I have tried I feel like everything besides a shock collar and dog repellent spray!

Super Moderator
Felix loves to take the bathmat from the bathroom or eat the toilet paper 馃槄 for now, since he's still a baby, I've mostly just kept him from having access to them, as his impulse control is still relatively nil. However, I have instilled a good "leave it" type command :) albeit, temporarily. So, for example, if I accidentally leave the bathroom door open, I'll use his leave it and he'll stop what he's doing. I expect with more practice and with age he'll start to understand to just leave those things be.

With Patriot, I would keep him away from the pillows for now until he has a solid leave it :)

Read Only
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah he鈥檚 gotten a whole lot better. I think it is mainly because he gets bored when I do school. We have a 9 year old daschund beagle mix but he just likes to lay around. Patriot is only 10 months so he鈥檚 still learning what he can and can鈥檛 have. He has plenty of toys but the only thing is he only plays with them if you tell him to fetch it something
I am having a real hard time finding things he likes toy wise.

Super Moderator
Yeah he鈥檚 gotten a whole lot better. I think it is mainly because he gets bored when I do school. We have a 9 year old daschund beagle mix but he just likes to lay around. Patriot is only 10 months so he鈥檚 still learning what he can and can鈥檛 have. He has plenty of toys but the only thing is he only plays with them if you tell him to fetch it something
I am having a real hard time finding things he likes toy wise.
Felix is 9 months and we鈥檝e been working on the same! We use rolled cow cheeks for chews. But I鈥檝e been trying to get him out in the evenings for exercise. It鈥檚 too hot now during the day.
For now, I would just Try to keep Patriot from the pillows and work on a solid leave it :) is he crate trained? You could try crating him with a peanut butter kong while you鈥檙e doing school work :)

Read Only
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried the peanut butter kong but he doesn鈥檛 seem to like the peanut butter he likes fruit though! He is crate trained as well @Dunmar he has had 2 courses in basic obedience the first was learning the second was affirming your commands. He has also had an advanced obedience course for like 2 or 3 weeks until corona happened but I have been working with him on things at my house. After quarantine drops then I am gonna get him AKC good citizen tested we have been working in those. But I鈥檒l probably ask my mentor what she thinks first. I have tried telling him no I have tried give him a myriad of toys. He just doesn鈥檛 seem interested. I have put the pillows up but he鈥檚 pretty big and stockily built. And somehow he still gets to them. He will wonder around so I dont always have an eye on him when I am doing school. Should I put him in his crate until I am done and can pay him attention. I don鈥檛 know it just seems maybe a little selfish to leave him in there for hours.

Super Moderator
Some dogs just LOVE pulling stuffing and filling out of toys and things like pillows if they get their mouths on them. My sisters dog is destructive with toys and will rip the stuffing out of every single toy she gets.

They actually make toys for dogs who like that. It鈥檚 usually several smaller toys stuffed into a bigger toy, so they can pull the smaller ones out without ruining anything. Something like this may be fun for him to:Frisco Hide and Seek Plush Volcano Puzzle Dog Toy - Chewy.com
You could redirect him with a toy like that instead of tearing up pillows.

Premium Member
Teach him "leave it". Once that his solid, you can have sessions where you work on having him "leave" the pillows. Also teach him to bring things to you that he shouldn't have. Make it a really positive thing to bring the pillow to you rather than chew it up.

Read Only
Discussion Starter #11
@mylissyk hes pretty good at dropping things when I say leave it but I鈥檝e never thought about teaching him to leave the pillows in advance. Thank you
@Emmdenn I. Am about to order that soon.

Registered
Rukie had an annoying habit of pulling the hand towel off the oven handle where I keep it. After trying a lot of other methods we finally resorted to sticking him in his crate whenever he had the towel. He was over 8 months old and liked his crate so I thought it would be okay as a deterrent. It only took about 4-5 times and he now leaves the towel alone. I just wouldn't recommend using the crate as a punishment for a young puppy where the crate has not been established as a good place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts