Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife told me she read in Golden Retrievers for dummies that you have to be careful that you pick the one to fit your lifestyle. As she explained it to me, there are goldens that are for say someone who would like their baby to lie on the couch or on their lap while they read, then there are goldens that will jump in a truck and go hunting with you or throw a ball or what ever. Without having read this part, she makes it sound like the book states you should do research about the mother and father as to what kind of dogs they were. I have always been under the impression that your golden will be the kind of dog you raise it to be. Are there different "kinds" of goldens bred for different activities or is it more of an environmental situation?

My girls mother died when they were born, the only two in the third litter from this mother. We have no idea of what the mother died from but I pray it's not some congenital situation. Anyone have any information as to this?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Some Goldens are bred from field lines, which as those lines meant to work such as hunting. These Goldens tend to have more energy than other Goldens. So in a way yes. Also, as many of the breeders here will tell you, puppies within the same litter will often times have very different personalities. One puppy may like to sleep and play sometimes, while the next puppy may never slow down.

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
If you find a breeder that knows their dogs and asks about your lifestyle and what you're looking for in a dog, they should help you find a pup that will fit in with your lifestyle.

When we got Cisco 7 years ago, we were told he was the largest, blondest, and most active pup in his litter. Cisco was told many times in his first 5 years that we now know why many goldens end up in rescue. It is really hard to live with Cisco if he's not being exercised (both physically and mentally) on a routine basis. Because of this I've been taking classes with him year round since he was 11 weeks old. (We took one winter session off and he drove us crazy.)

So yes, finding a dog that is going to fit your lifestyle is important. Or if you're willing to adapt your lifestyle that seems to work okay too -- Cisco got me involved in agility, which has in turn led me to getting involved in other dog activities and getting a puppy with this in mind.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
It's a bit of both, a 'show' line might be a bit more laid back and calm, but it's how the dog is handled and raised as well - if you don't allow puppy to act hyper or race around the house, they're more likely to be calm and quiet. Also depends on food, how much exercise and training and so on. Best thing to do is to write down what your 'ideal' golden is and then pass that information on to the breeder and let them pick your pup out for you.

Lana

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
This is absolutely true, and it can also vary from pup to pup inside a litter. I've had both extremes: blondie "show dog" Acadia was committed to her couch, mild and mellow, loved to be brushed and lagged behind on hikes; field bred Finn is dynamite, running hard for hours on hikes, cannonballing off the dock after a stick, total intensity at obedience. . .Finn is my true love, but he would not have been a dog for a nonactive person. Acadia was just too lazy for me, even though I loved her dearly.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
The field/show distinction doesn't always help, since lots of show dog are high energy, and lots of field litters will produce a couple of laid back pups. Knowing the kind of personality the parents had and the kind of personality the breeder was trying to produce with the litter is important.

Also, a really good breeder will be temperament testing the pups and have a strong idea of which ones will be more active and which ones will be more laid back. If you have a good conversation together about the lifestyle the pup will have, the breeder may have a suggestion.

When we picked out Ajax over the weekend, the breeder had him in mind for us. The choice was ours, and we evaluated all the puppies carefully, but she was right that the drivey, proud dog with the great movement was the one we would want over the meeker dog with the more correct color or the mellower, more people-oriented dog my sister took for her family.

We go for dogs like Ljilly's Finn, ready to race, play, and work. The responsibility there is that the dog will be unhappy if he's not stimulated, so you need to be prepared to provide the kind of lifestyle that will suit the dog.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, five years and still full of energy. Don't get me wrong, I love the energy and playing these two do - I just look forward to a day when they calm down. We have a routine - they let me know at about 11:00 AM it's time for their walk by acting like knuckle heads and fighting. If one is resting and the other decides she's not ready to rest then she will pick up a toy and push it into the resting girls face - she does it mostly with a rope toy where they will sling it at the other - it's pretty funny but I have to yell @ them and tell them "I'm mad." They look at me and Karma will immediately settle down all the while looking to see if I'm really mad (of course I'm not but that's my secret). I guess I will have to wait to see what kind of girls I have here as they are only a year old and if I'm not mistaken that's like having a couple of 10 year old kids around. I get my daily large paw in the groin when I say "wanna go" - they know it's to the park in the evening and they absolutely love that. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
if I would have researched & searched (like I had planned), I couldn't have done better than this little active, cuddly craigslist kid -- maybe ya just end up loving what you have?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
if I would have researched & searched (like I had planned), I couldn't have done better than this little active, cuddly craigslist kid -- maybe ya just end up loving what you have?
I'm a skeptic by nature, but when it comes to dogs, I'm tempted to believe in fate. With each dog, I've felt something click into place, like it was right in some metaphysical way. So, skeptic that I am, I still feel it absolutely makes sense that one might stumble right into the perfect dog out of sheer, blind luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts