Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long wait, tomorrow I'm finally picking up my little boy from the breeder :):) I'm soooo excited, I've never had a Goldie, or any other large-breed dog for that matter :uhoh: I've read a lotttttttt about them over the past few weeks, but do you guys have any last minute tips for me?

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Congratulations. Along with the extra sleep don't forget to have the camera ready. You can never have too many pictures of your puppies first day home. Enjoy every second of his puppyhood.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was in the same spot last friday. I got my first big dog and first golden retriever puppy which I have always wanted ! I couldnt sleep the whole week just thinking bout the day I would go pick him up. My suggestion would be take a toy with you so all the puppies and parents of them can chew on it. That will get some of their scent and make your new puppy a little more confortable with the scent on the toy. Our new puppy, Jake loves the toy that his mom, dad and siblings chewed on before we brought him home. Have fun tomorrow and good luck with your new puppy. Take plenty of pics :)

·
A.k.a. Jennifer.
230 Posts
Yes, sleep!!! And enjoy every minute. Start training on basic commands from day one.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Clean house & anything else that needs to get done, after you get him all you'll want to do is play & cuddle!!!!! Have fun!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
haha sleep :rolleyes: i'm going to be reading golden retrievers for dummies all night with my old girl.. the camera is charged and ready for tomorrow :) i'm really happy because we're getting him early in the morning so i don't have to wait around alllllll day

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I am so excited for you! Get lots of rest tonight, and take TONS of pictures! Can't wait to see your new little one!:)

·
Registered
306 Posts
make sure all small items are off the floor. i've never had a dog that picked up more garbage, sticks, moss, leaves, rocks. they're serious chewers, too. all i wanted to do with my pup was cuddle but she'd rather eat my fingers and hair. :(

brace yourself -- the first two nights he may be exhausted after the "big move" and sleep like an angel, but after that expect him to rise and shine at 4 am. :(

·
Registered
95 Posts
make sure all small items are off the floor. i've never had a dog that picked up more garbage, sticks, moss, leaves, rocks. they're serious chewers, too. all i wanted to do with my pup was cuddle but she'd rather eat my fingers and hair. :(

brace yourself -- the first two nights he may be exhausted after the "big move" and sleep like an angel, but after that expect him to rise and shine at 4 am. :(
Exactly my experience, we've had Seabiscuit home for just over a week now, and she just loves to chew everyhing thats within range lol, and she's very happy to wake us up at any time of the morning to get out, which I'm more than happy to do as its better than the alternative!

Looking forward to seeing the pics, and reading all your help posts as I will learn from them at the same time lol

ps) how old is the young man now then?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I assume you have the crate ready and know puppy will need to go out every couple hours at night and every 30 minutes when out of the crate during the day.
JMO anyway.

Enjoy!!!! You will LOVE having a golden. I have had goldens for almost 40 years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly my experience, we've had Seabiscuit home for just over a week now, and she just loves to chew everyhing thats within range lol, and she's very happy to wake us up at any time of the morning to get out, which I'm more than happy to do as its better than the alternative!

Looking forward to seeing the pics, and reading all your help posts as I will learn from them at the same time lol

ps) how old is the young man now then?
he's 9 and a half weeks, he was born on october 19th. i'll put up some pictures as soon as i get them on my computer :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts