Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you have the opportunity to see Pick of the Litter, take it. A wonderful documentary. Bring a Kleenex or two, though.

My Canine Companions Labrador Retriever has just come out of season and was bred last week (Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday). I pick her up next week. Guessing she'll be due around mid-November but will know for certain tomorrow at pick-up.

This will be her second litter and the first litter of pups are doing great with their puppy raisers. Probably this time next year we will know how many of that first litter (8 puppies) were selected to go on to Advanced Training for potential placement as a service dog. (Average rate is about 50%. We're hoping for a higher percentage. That was a really great litter.)

And I have to give a big shout out to anyone who has ever served as a volunteer puppy raiser for a service dog organization. I can't imagine the commitment and self-discipline it takes to love, care for, and train a puppy for about 20 months and then say goodbye as you turn it in so that it can continue the next phase of its journey to becoming a service dog.

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,281 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this documentary.

I'm also looking forward to hearing about your girl's second litter and seeing pictures.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts