Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

So last night I bought a wireless invisible fence for Beau from Pet Smart. Its supposed to arrive between the 11th and the 17th. It's one of those that has a circular pet area, which I've been hesitant about. I tried a underground fence that I bought from walmart, which I had high hopes for until it started shocking Beau in the middle of the yard - so I took it back and got my money back. After that awful experience, I put off getting another one for months. This PetSafe one has good reviews so I'm hoping itll be good for Beau. I want to give him as much freedom as possible, especially at home, and with him hooked to a tie, he doesn't have much freedom and he get tangled on EVERYTHING!!

So, I live in a neighborhood with a house on one side, an empty grass lot on the other side, and woods behind us. (Obviously, the street in front of us) I'm thinking if I put the transmitter in the back of the house, on the side with the empty lot - it'll allow him to be in the whole backyard, the edge of the woods (which he likes for shade), a little of the empty lot, and on the side of the house with the garage so he can be in there with us too. I'm hoping it'll give minimal space in the front yard, so he's no where near the street and so no one can dognap him lol. It might give him a little room (Maybe 1-3ft?) in the neighbor's yard, but I don't think they'd care and Beau wouldn't have a reason to go that far anyway. The fence is mainly just for playing games and letting him out in the backyard.

It's also to get rid of the awful tie out he's had for a couple months! He got it tangled around my ankle once and I wasn't fast enough getting it off and now I have an ugly brown anklet scar from it giving me rope burn. So if you have one of those red, strong tie outs - be careful!!!

Lemme know if you've had any experiences with this fence or if you have any comments. :)

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I LOVE MINE AND SO DOES BUDDY :):):):) I have 1 at my house and my parents have 1 at their house too. I love that your can take it with you wear you go. I take it with me on vacation, visiting friends & family, etc.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
The transmitter does need to be an area where it is protected from the weather.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I don't think i would try that type, i have the underground from invisable fence, they must be trained on them, if there is a road, i would be xtra carefull.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
It comes with directions and I think there is a video on their website.

I an not a fan of the underground kind because wires can break or corrode and you don't know it till your dog escapes.

Both kinds do need supervision with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ooops - Yeah, the transmitter will be inside the house! I just realized that wasn't clear in my post. It'll either be in the living room or my mom's bedroom, since those would give the ideal range for him to play.

And I tried the underground, wired one before and found out that I'm just not motivated enough to bury the wire, lol. Plus, the area I want to cover would have to be the "loop" kind, and if I were to do that, since you have to have the wires separated by a certain number of feet for the loop, it would make the play area super small in the backyard. Maybe if the yard was bigger, I'd be more apt to go for the wired. Thanks for your insight though! :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
I know a family that has one of these, they really like it. I also know of several people who have the do-it yourself invisible fence from Petco and they really like that type of fence.

Good luck with your new fence.

Hey everybody!

So last night I bought a wireless invisible fence for Beau from Pet Smart. Its supposed to arrive between the 11th and the 17th. It's one of those that has a circular pet area, which I've been hesitant about. I tried a underground fence that I bought from walmart, which I had high hopes for until it started shocking Beau in the middle of the yard - so I took it back and got my money back. After that awful experience, I put off getting another one for months. This PetSafe one has good reviews so I'm hoping itll be good for Beau. I want to give him as much freedom as possible, especially at home, and with him hooked to a tie, he doesn't have much freedom and he get tangled on EVERYTHING!!

So, I live in a neighborhood with a house on one side, an empty grass lot on the other side, and woods behind us. (Obviously, the street in front of us) I'm thinking if I put the transmitter in the back of the house, on the side with the empty lot - it'll allow him to be in the whole backyard, the edge of the woods (which he likes for shade), a little of the empty lot, and on the side of the house with the garage so he can be in there with us too. I'm hoping it'll give minimal space in the front yard, so he's no where near the street and so no one can dognap him lol. It might give him a little room (Maybe 1-3ft?) in the neighbor's yard, but I don't think they'd care and Beau wouldn't have a reason to go that far anyway. The fence is mainly just for playing games and letting him out in the backyard.

It's also to get rid of the awful tie out he's had for a couple months! He got it tangled around my ankle once and I wasn't fast enough getting it off and now I have an ugly brown anklet scar from it giving me rope burn. So if you have one of those red, strong tie outs - be careful!!!

Lemme know if you've had any experiences with this fence or if you have any comments. :)

·
M&M's mom
264 Posts
BeausMama, I just ordered what sounds to be about the same thing from Amazon. It was delivered yesterday and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I'm really excited to begin using it, so I'll be watching here, too, for any advice or tips about its use and training for its use.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Pet safe brand didnt keep my dog in the yard, he ran through it to get a tennis ball,also the collar fell apart when I called them they expected to send the collar I had to them then they would send me a new one. Had to go with invisible fence. With the underground one if the wire breaks the unit(transmitter) will beep, so you would want it somewhere you would hear it. Our rescue wont adopt to familes with the Petsafe brand- we havent had good luck with them at all.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Beau's Mom- How is training on the system going? Or did you not start yet?

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We have the PetSafe underground invisible fence and LOVE it!!! It's been wonderful allowing Hank the freedom of our acerage. I've written on this forum many times about our success with it. Hank won't cross the boundary for anything...his ball, wildlife or us leaving/coming into the area. He doesn't even leave the area when his collar isn't on.

I was very deligent about the training process and left the flags up for about 6 months. A pain for sure when cutting grass but I felt the visual aspect helped him learn the boundary. Follow the training instruction and DO NOT skip ahead thinking your dog is trained 1 day.

Reactions: BeausMama

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mika - I haven't gotten the system yet. I think it'll probably come in today around 4-6pm. If not, hopefully it'll be here tomorrow. Depending on the weather, I'll start training the day or the day after I get it and can set up all the flags. :)

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
We've had both the wired and wireless. We prefer the wireless. We don't have to worry about breaking wires. We have a fenced yard in the back, but we use the wireless for the front and side yards. It works great. You can turn them up for dogs that are more persistent about getting beyond their wireless area. I'd say the dogs much prefer laying in the front yard watching what is happening on the street than being in the back behind the cedar fence.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I got the fence yesterday, read the manual, and set the fence up, with my mom's help. I got Beau out after I had checked all the boundaries like 4 times (I'm still paranoid from the first fence that malfunctioned). Its like he knew/remembered what the training was like for the other fence and he just laid in the yard when I tried to get him to come up to a flag so we could do the first day training (tone only). I managed to get him to come up to three flags, once each, before he refused to go near them anymore. It didn't even take 15 minutes! I don't want him to be afraid to use the yard, so I think I'm gonna go really slow with the training and keep it tone only for several days instead of just one. I'm afraid that other fence experience may have given him a little puppy-PTSD. I'm gonna try to play with him more in the yard too, and have my family try to play with him out there too as often as possible so he doesn't start to think the yard is "bad."

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I would put on my calendar to check the batteries in the collar every 6 months. Your dog won't let you know when he can escape! Just walk to the edge of the yard with the collar and wait for it to beep. No beep, time for new batteries. You might want to order some batteries to have on hand in case yours go bad.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I set the transmitter by the back door and leave it on all the time. The collar stays in a container by the back door, so it is put on him and taken off as he goes out and in. You can adjust the size of the range easily, the video shows you everything.
We actually never let Brooks go outside of what we planned would be the range of the PetSafe fence from the day he came home (so before he was old enough to be trained to it, he went outside on a leash, and stayed within that boundary....unless we were taking him in the car, but they are garaged within the boundary) so he has never thought he could go on his own beyond the PetSafe fence range.
For that reason, we have never had any troubles I think. No matter what (an animal, me working, whatever happens outside the range, he will not cross it)
We have noticed that a battery lasts 3-4 months.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day two of training (still tone only bc I don't think he's ready for ANY shocking yet) and I had Beau on the leash and walked him near the boundary. As soon as it beeped, he turned tail and came back into the yard where he's "allowed" by the fence. So far so good!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Sounds like training is going well for Beau. Hank seemed to catch on quickly as well. During training he did get shocked once due to me accidently allowing him to get too close to the boundary. Then later after the training period but early-on into free range, he was chasing the cat, forgot himself and ran through. Neither of these reminders "scarred" him but did teach him to respect the boundary (beep). I think it's a good thing for them to experience the shock.

As Ignutah brought up, leaving the area on a leash hasn't caused any confusion. We always leave at the same spot and always leashed. We use a harness when leashed so it was/is easy for Hank to know the difference.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts