Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dylan's Mom
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll be going out of town for Labor Day for three nights and have been debating what's better - hiring a pet sitter who comes by four times a day or taking them to the "doggy hotel". We've got the pet sitter lined up, but that's because the kennel was booked full. Where do you take your pets when you can't take them with you?

·
kalkid
397 Posts
We thankfully have friends who have a nice fenced in back yard and a couple of young boys so they love taking the dog and I think the transition is easier for Daisy with all the attention. I took her to our local "doggy" hotel called Camp BowWow for a day because it's required prior to an overnight stay. It seemed like a real nice alternative to a standard throw them in a cage kennel since they had lots of open room and mainly let the dogs play all day and only "caged" them at night. There was still a ton of barking and choas which my shy one didn't seem to care for too much. Never done the pet sitter thing. I think I would just try to get a friend or relative to stay at my house if I went that route.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Both my son and my daughter have the same IF system that we do, so we all dogsit for each other. The dogs (we all have multiple dogs) all love each other and it works out well for everyone. And the price is right!!!

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I have never left my dogs. It is a real dilema. We have to go to Denver for the day next month and I still do not know what I am going to do. We can't take them, and I don't really know many people here. One friend I would trust will be on a cruise in Alaska. So it is a real dilema! If you really trust the people coming to look in on them, I think that would be great. I am sure they would be more comfortable in their own home.

·
And Hunter's too!
980 Posts
I've been lucky - we have only had to leave Shadow once and I found a 'farm' that boards dogs. Turns out the owner of the farm is a former co-worker of mine so this was a totally win-win situation for us. He got lots of attention by someone I know, and he had run of a large yard area when weather permitted and was in a NICE dog house at night or when weather was bad. If she ever moves away or stops boarding dogs, we're screwed!

Angie

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I think alot of this depends on how they were raised and if put in kennels earlier on in live, as well as how trustworthy this doggy hotel you speak of is. For many owners, there dogs do not do well in other settings and such if they were not raised into kenneling in the past when they were younger since it can be very stressful for many. I know alot of owners up here choose the dog sitting for this reason, but I am sure these sitters are well checked out and come with many references to back check on them ever before the dogs are left in there care.

I myself never leave Kody for traveling, I would only trust one person here with him to take him if I ever do, and that would be my son.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
We don't go away much, but my adult children take care of my two if we do go away overnight. I also dog-sit my niece's GR because she travels a lot for her job. I've had him as long as 10 days and it's never enough.

Many Pet Boarding places are wonderful...

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have done both.

Personally I am more relaxed when they are boarded in a kennel or vet. I feel they are safer.

Brady has yet to be boarded. I have had my mother-in-law and brother-in-law take turns with the visits while we went away twice this month. He was able to go run in a field with my brother-in-law's Golden twice a day, but I am sure there hours when nobody was there was probably long. When they are at a kennel, there is always a lot of activity going on. They are never alone.

·
Banned
4,311 Posts
I would never leave them. If I have to go somewhere, my dad takes care of them and that is only if I cant take Brinkley. She pretty much goes everywhere with me. But I would get a pet sitter if you cant take them with you but make sure you know them well or know their reputation and if you dont know them, check references. This is like hiring a nanny or babysitter for your kids as far as I am concerned

·
Registered
553 Posts
Speaking as a licensed, bonded pet sitter, I say pet sitting is the way to go. The pets get to stay in familiar surrounding, sleep in their own beds or their own couch:p:, eat out of their own bowls and play in their own backyard. I started my own pet sitting business a few months ago and have had a lot of "first time" clients. They love the service! Not only do they not have to wait until Monday morning to get their pets back when they came home on Sunday at noon, but they love that the mail has been brought in, plants have been watered and their pets got to stay home in familiar surroundings with one on one attention. I would NEVER board my dogs in a kennel. It is too stressful, too loud, and around here you can't get them out until Monday. Plus, if you hire a pet sitter, trust me, your neighbors will keep a close eye on when the sitter comes and goes and how long they stayed. Try it once, see how you like it.;)

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
We rarely leave Penny behind but when we do we choose a kennel. It's out in the country and run by our vet.

She's on the shy side so being protected in a kennel run is better for her than being thrown in with the masses. She loves play time with the kennel staff, usually 2 - 30 minute periods per day. The rest of the time she's content to watch all the kennel activity.

If we're going to be gone for just a long day, we'll ask our daughter to let her out to go potty, although Penny usually just wants to play with her 'sister' and doesn't go potty. This works only on weekends because of daughter's work schedule. Otherwise, Penny is content to just wait at home for us on long days.

·
idabwmn
1,055 Posts
We have a sitter that comes to the house she has been working for us for six years. The dogs are happy and the house is not left unattended when we are gone.

I leave contact numbers for friends who know our dogs also the vets, if Nancy needs anything. She calls us twice aday and gives us a report. she comes and sits and watches TV with them or takes them out and plays ball.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
I am not a big fan of leaving my dogs at strange places. I always have someone (I know) come to my house to watch the guys. I have a hard enough time with that as it is. I have heard two many horror stories about kennels. Good luck with your decision, of course you have to do what is best for your family and your dogs.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I have only left my kids at home with my mother but since she passed away, we havent really taken any vacations. But this vacation we are taking them with us and having a pet sitter come in for the cats. I couldnt take them to a kennel as one is very old and likes routine and they are more comfortable at home. Also my neighbor comes over and lets the dogs out when we are running late like when we went to Hooch's house. Since we were gone 12 hours, she came over and let them out and gave them treats and made sure they had water.

·
Registered
355 Posts
The one time we had to fly out, we left Bentley with my folks, where he rototilled their garden. Otherwise, he goes with us on road trips but I always research kennels in the area should we have to leave him for short periods of time. He's been known to try to escape unfamiliar homes so I feel that he's safer in a good boarding environment. The weekend after Labor Day, we'll be in Las Vegas at a friend's home but, should we go out to dinner, I may try the fancy-schmancy new Wags Hotel.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
over the last 20 years of dogs owning me, i have never put them in a kennel, great neighbors and friends. the three i have now would be so miserable in a kennel, my son is getting married in less than 4 weeks, i have been worried about what to do with the girls, the wedding is out of state. to my rescue came goldrocks mom, these girls will be so spoiled they probably won't want to come home with me.

·
kalkid
397 Posts
One response to the doggy hotel question is I know to use our "better" one here in Indy you first have to do a trial period of 4 hours prior to an overnight stay to ensure your dog is comfortable and okay with other dogs. The other nice thing is it is staffed 24 hours a day so someone is always there just in case and then you can pick up whenever you want. The best part about ours here locally is there is a multitude of cameras so you can get online and check on the little rascals whenever you want. I think I spent half of my workday on the computer watching Daisy the day I had her there ( don't tell the boss ). Funny I wouldn't notice if my wife was gone for a week and I can't not worry about the dog for 4 hours.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts