Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Serawyn
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously pulling my hair out over which company to go with. I don't have all of their policy and "fine print" so it is so hard to compare.

From what I read, PetPlan's biggest advantage is that it starts out with a lower premium, but increases with the pet's age. Trupanion's advantage is that it has no lifetime limit and their deductible covers for reoccurring incidents. Say, your dog needs yearly hip x-rays, you pay the deductible amount once. With PetPlan, you will have to pay the deductible every time.

So, PetPlan is more for emergency. TruPanion is emergency+peace of mine *IF* your dog ends up needing routine check-ups that do not link to pre-existing condition at time of sign up.

Am I right? I am so tired of looking up information and just want someone to tell me what they have and if it's a good plan. Please share what you have! I wish I could just add her to my health insurance and be done with it. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm curious if you ruled out healthypaws for any particular reason? I am also shopping around, and have narrowed it down to healthypaws, petplan, and trupanion. Please let me know what you decide and why! Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm curious if you ruled out healthypaws for any particular reason? I am also shopping around, and have narrowed it down to healthypaws, petplan, and trupanion. Please let me know what you decide and why! Thanks!
Same here, although I'm leaning more towards Healthy Paws. It's hard to decide though, there are pros and cons with each...

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Pet's Best is one I have considered. I'll bet if you use the search you will find lots of opinions on a variety of insurance plans.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went with Pets Best because it was cheaper and covered more. They have no fee schedule and just reimburse the vets bill.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I think PetPlan also just reimburses the vet's bill (no fee schedule) at the percentage you set when you sign up.
I think the fact that PetPlan's yearly deductible is per injury/illness is something to take into account. So if your dog has 4 different types of things you take him to the vet for over the year, and you have a $200 deductible, you would pay 4x200=$800 out of your own pocket, plus you would pay the percentage that you want reimbursement set at (plus the fee for the insurance itself). So if you think about it, PetPlan works best for a catastrophic incident (illness/injury).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts