Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering getting pet insurance for our new golden puppy (take home date end of February). Does anyone have any experience/advice with different policies? We never took insurance out on our other dog so I am completely new to the idea and not 100% sure that we want to go that route.

·
Registered
633 Posts
We have had Trupanion insurance for our senior golden who passed away a few weeks ago and our young golden who is 1 1/2 and has had no health issues so far. Trupanion was outstanding to work with and very compassionate when our senior golden passed away. I have to say that getting coverage for our goldens with Trupanion was one of the better decisions I have made. We are getting another pup next month and I will enroll her with Trupanion as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Once you’ve found a company that seems trustworthy in terms of paying out on claims, you might want to contact them to see if they can give you a better rate (or better coverage) if you sign up the same day as your pup’s first vet visit. In my city Trupanion only offered 80% coverage normally, but they increased it to 90% because I started my insurance the same day my pup got a clean bill of health from our vet.

·
Registered
374 Posts
We have had Trupanion insurance for our senior golden who passed away a few weeks ago and our young golden who is 1 1/2 and has had no health issues so far. Trupanion was outstanding to work with and very compassionate when our senior golden passed away. I have to say that getting coverage for our goldens with Trupanion was one of the better decisions I have made. We are getting another pup next month and I will enroll her with Trupanion as well.
We also have Trupanion and they have been great so far. Used for 2 separate issues and they have paid very quickly and exactly the amounts expected.

Jules

·
Registered
247 Posts
I selected Trupanion for my puppy as well based on what the website offers in comparison to other top insurances. No payout limit, you can choose your own deductible (I chose $40 a month for $400 deductible) it also covers genetic, hereditary, dysplastic conditions as well as cancer. All things that goldens have to worry about. I enrolled him when he turned 7 weeks, which was just a few days ago.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I have both of my boys covered under Healthy Paws at 90% coverage after the deductible. It appealed to me, because the deductible is per year vs per incident and there's no yearly cap on payout. I had to use it this year on both boys and Noah has a minor surgery on the 29th to remove a benign growth on his elbow. The surgery will be ~$600, but my out of pocket after my reimbursement will only be $60.

Filing is easy - I simply snap a picture of the invoice and send it. I have direct deposit set up and I normally have reimbursement in my account in 2 business days.

Because Noah was diagnosed as mild hip dysplasia when he had his radiographs done, he would be considered pre-existing on that on any other insurance company, so we have to stay with Healthy Paws for him (he was diagnosed after the year wait time requirement). He is so athletic, that for now, his muscles support his hips with no pain. But at least we know that he's covered should he ever require surgical intervention in the future.

I've loved Healthy Paws so far. I also learned that they are able to pay your vet what they'll cover directly if the vet agrees to this arrangement.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I use Embrace Insurance and love them. If you have USAA, you can also get a discount with them.

The one mistake I made was I didn't look at the coverage soon enough which meant that if I had taken the ortho forms with me on the first visit, I wouldn't have had to come back for a second visit (getting the ortho exam done early means the pup is covered before 6 months for any orthopedic pre-existing conditions). While I have never had to use it with Káva, Vločka is turning into my problem child who keeps getting in trouble. I highly recommend Embrace as they have been very responsive and easy to work with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wasn't sure whether to get insurance either, but I am certainly glad I did! My golden puppy is currently in the hospital and my insurance should save me ~$8,000 (we have PetsBest). Whichever one you go with, I think its a good idea for at least the puppy phase of trying to eat everything.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have Embrace. Will be adding my puppy who comes home tomorrow to my policy with my 18 month old. Make sure to check if office visits are covered or not. This is why I chose Embrace.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts