Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi,
like to know what many of who have Pet Insurance pay.
we have two Golden girls and we we're paying 34.00 per dog per month .
plan has a 250.00 deductible.. we received this today in the mail:

We are contacting you to let you know the underwriter that insures the risk for your plan has elected to change the way your policy’s premium is calculated. Rates will now be based on your pet’s age, breed and geographic location. This modification is intended to more appropriately assign rates in accordance with the risk level of your pet, and is not a factor of your claims history.

Our underwriter has filed this rate modification with your state's department of insurance. Your coverage will automatically renew at $51.83 per month effective 2/7/2014.

Our girls just turned 8 and 10 so I assume it will continue to rise as they age,? Do any of you get an increase as your pets age also?
thank you for any input

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I pay $23 a month with Pet Plan. Tayla is 2 now and we have had the insurance since April. Ours was based on age, breed and location. We have a $200 deductible PER INCIDENT and an 80% reimbursement rate.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our company is PetFirst...
80% reimbursement.. might also be 200.00 deductible..
I think we may check out some different companies..
may be possible that they all increase as dog ages?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Our company is PetFirst...
80% reimbursement.. might also be 200.00 deductible..
I think we may check out some different companies..
may be possible that they all increase as dog ages?
The prices do go up as the dog ages. Is your deductible per year or per occurance? That makes a difference, too.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
deductible is per incident..
pretty sure now it's 250.00
with 90% reimbursement..
so, our 8 yr old will be $34.00 and our 10 yr old jumped from 31.00 to $51.83.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This will be the first dog I'll be getting insurance on and keep in mind I'm signing him up at a very young age, but we'll be paying $27 per month for $10000 annual maximum coverage with a $500 annual deductible at 80% reimbursement. I tinkered around with the estimate and I may change the configuration to a $15000 annual maximum coverage, $1000 yearly deductible at 80% reimbursement and that is about $17 per month. This is through Embrace and was based on age, gender and breed.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
This issue comes up a few times each year. Here is a pointer to a good discussion, one that led me to get Trupanion for Sunny (age 3) and Joker (age 13): http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...-discussion/123022-saving-insurance-gr-3.html.

The combined cost for the two is around $130 per month. That pales in comparison to the cost for an emergency hospitalization or chemotherapy. I say that having had a couple of dogs who each ran up veterinary bills of $20,000 or more. I was lucky to have the resources and they were worth it, but I have learned the hard way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I use healthy paws pet insurance which I must say is awesome!!! I pay around $40 per month with a $250 deductible which covers 90%. My golden got real sick at 3 months old and had to be in the hospital for 3 days and it costs roughly $2500 and they in fact covered 90% of the bill which was great. I had only had insurance for one month at this point and they paid 50x times what I had paid them. I would highly recommend them but at the very least get some type of pet insurance. Peace of mind and a huge savings to your wallet. They had great customer service as well. They checked up on my pup two weeks after he had his accident to see how he was doing and even asked for a picture.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts