Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to the board for helping me make my decision. I was deciding between Pet Plan and Trupanion. I liked the fact that Trupanion does not increase premiums based on age and prior incidents but did not like that the lifetime allowance is 20,000 vs Pet plan being 20,000 per year on the gold plan.

I heard that Trupanion will let you start over fresh after you reach 20,000 (and I hope I never do) so I asked them about that and they said yes BUT anything that happened before would be a pre-existing condition. Also, I don't think they cover the same incident twice- like if a dog eats a toy once, they will cover it but if it happens again, I don't think they will. Plus they are a little more expensive.

So I am definitely going with Pet Plan. I also looked at Embrace but they are a little pricey and no better than Pet Plan.

The lady I talked to at Pet Plan (and yes, I know she's a sales person but still) said they had a claim where a dog was hit by a car and the bill came to 25,000!! And they covered 19,950 (the guy had a $50 deductible). Anyway, she was very nice and stressed the importance of assuring lifetime care b/c some other companies will cover things but then discontinue your plan you renew.

Whew, glad I did my hw on this one. I hope Harvey never reaches a $20,000 limit but I can see how easy it can happen (we just paid close to $600 for a very minor injury) and I'm not taking any chances with this guy.

Anyway, just wanted to share what I learned about Trupanion in case anyone is making the same decision. Also wanted to thank everyone on the forum that recommended them. It was a huge help. I think I'm gonna sign up tomorrow and I feel good about it :)

P.S. One quick question for anyone who has had Pet Plan for a while: Have the premiums increased much over the years? I plan to ask them this tomorrow when I call but it'd be good to hear from people on here too :) Thanks!!

P.P.S. I know I will get some looks from ppl if they find out that I don't have insurance but my dog does!! lol. Oh well, I'm working on getting it for myself too.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
P.S. One quick question for anyone who has had Pet Plan for a while: Have the premiums increased much over the years? I plan to ask them this tomorrow when I call but it'd be good to hear from people on here too :) Thanks!!

P.P.S. I know I will get some looks from ppl if they find out that I don't have insurance but my dog does!! lol. Oh well, I'm working on getting it for myself too.

I've had Pet Plan policies for about 2 years and the rates have not changed one cent. Granted I have 2 young dogs and have never filed any claims, so I don't know if that affects it at all.

I also had a pet insurance policy on one of my dogs during a time when I did not have health insurance myself. I found it much easier for me to go without routine medical care, seeing as I didn't need an annual heartworm check ;) Not to mention what I paid in the pet insurance premium is not even 1/3 of what my own health insurance costs.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I too have been researching which insurance company to go with and I was leaning towards Trupanion. In looking at PetPlan, the premiums can go up to over $100 by the age of 11. At age 8 it is over $98. I also like that trupanion covers hip dysplasia if you pay an additional amount which is around five dollars. I too was concerned with the $20,000 limit and wasn't sure if this is an issue as I have never had to pay this much over the lifetime of my other three dogs.
Would love to know everyone's opinions and if anyone has trupanion.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I too have been researching which insurance company to go with and I was leaning towards Trupanion. In looking at PetPlan, the premiums can go up to over $100 by the age of 11. At age 8 it is over $98. I also like that trupanion covers hip dysplasia if you pay an additional amount which is around five dollars. I too was concerned with the $20,000 limit and wasn't sure if this is an issue as I have never had to pay this much over the lifetime of my other three dogs.
Would love to know everyone's opinions and if anyone has trupanion.

Was that getting a brand new policy for an 11 or 8 year old dog, or do you mean that if you have a policy on a young dog, that it keeps getting more and more expensive every year until it reaches $100?

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
This was a comparison between Trupanion and PetPlan and it showed that Trupanion did not increase as the dog ages and PetPlan does and it then showed how much it would increase. These were the prices that it would increase to as the dog ages.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I was going to ask anyway but I will be sure to ask about the premium increases with age. They lady on the phone said the age increases don't start till 3 years so it is something worth checking out. Man, this is almost as bad as deciding what food to give your dog.

Other notes: I had a longer wait on the phone with Pet Plan but found the lady very pleasant and helpful. I had no wait on the phone with Trupanion but did not find the guy all that helpful. I think I'll try to think of any other ?s and call them both back tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
This was a comparison between Trupanion and PetPlan and it showed that Trupanion did not increase as the dog ages and PetPlan does and it then showed how much it would increase. These were the prices that it would increase to as the dog ages.

Do you have a link to where you saw this comparison?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Other notes: I had a longer wait on the phone with Pet Plan but found the lady very pleasant and helpful. I had no wait on the phone with Trupanion but did not find the guy all that helpful. I think I'll try to think of any other ?s and call them both back tomorrow.

I have spoken with Pet Plan reps on the phone three times and have always found them extremely helpful and pleasant to talk to.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
The comparison was on the Trupanion site and put multiple insurers side by side to Trupanion. It showed the premium go up at 3 years of age. I agree that it is so hard to make the final decision. They all have pros and cons. I have also narrowed it down to PetPlan and Trupanion. Does PetPlan cover Hip Dysplasia? I couldn't find it on their website.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pet Plan does cover HD. I thought it did not and that was one of the main reasons I was thinking of Trupanion instead.

Pro Plan is more affordable but I don't know if that really holds true once the premium increases. I'll definitely update here after I talk to them tomorrow and once I make my decision.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Can't wait to hear what they say. What a tough decision to make. I just want to make sure it is the right one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know. It's so important to do it before they have pre-existing conditions and Trupanion will only cover HD if you sign up for it before they are 1. Honestly, I think both of them are fairly good and you're definitely better off with either of them than nothing at all.

I think a lot of my decision will have to do with how much the premium goes up each year on Pet Plan.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
The comparison was on the Trupanion site and put multiple insurers side by side to Trupanion. It showed the premium go up at 3 years of age. I agree that it is so hard to make the final decision. They all have pros and cons. I have also narrowed it down to PetPlan and Trupanion. Does PetPlan cover Hip Dysplasia? I couldn't find it on their website.

Hmm.. I would have a hard time believing a comparison between Trupanion and Pet Plan rates on the Trupanion site... seems a little biased to me. Though knowing they don't raise their rates as the dog ages is good to know.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called Petplan earlier today and talked to a guy who was not all that helpful or friendly. He wasn't rude but he seemed to be baffled on why I would even ask such a question and didn't seem to want to talk me into using them. He said there's no set rate that it goes up each year but he said around 8%/year. I really liked the lady I talked to at Petplan the other day so I'm going to try her extension tomorrow.

I am still going back and forth between the two and then I found a site that confused me even more: http://www.petinsurancepro.com/trupanion-pet-insurance-review/

I did not like some of the stories people had about trupanion. But I do think Petplan has the potential to be more expensive down the line. Basically, I'm thinking each one has it's own pros and cons. It seems like ProPlan might be better if it doesn't get too expensive down the line. I'm hoping by the time the prices go up too much, I'll be more settled and ready to afford it.

The plan I was looking at with Petplan is cheaper than the one I was looking at with Trupanion and even if the price of Petplan goes up, it shouldn't go up for another 2 years are so and by then, I'll be done with school and less broke (hopefully).

So sadly, I have no real answer but I thought I'd let you know how it went today. I'm not sure if they are both open tomorrow with it being NYE but when I talk to them, I'll definitely update again.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Thanks for the update. I am planning on starting my calling next week as I want to make my decision sooner than later. As for the Trupanion site comparison, I am sure that they show the information that will put them in their best light but I would doubt if they would falsify information. It would not be in their best interest. They will just spin the information to be in their favor. As you say, they have their pros and cons and just have to make the best educated decision we can make.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I also read the site you referred to. It is so hard to muddle through all the stories. If you look at any company, there are going to be people that have had issues and get angry. Unfortunately, the majority of people that post on those kinds of sites are the ones that are complaining. It is easier to complain than compliment I guess. Still so hard to make the final decision.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Gilmour ended up on Embrace. I forget the exact reasons why.

His premium is $277 a year for $20,000 coverage/year, 20% Copay, and $500 Deductable.

You know, the problem isn't so much the premium. The real problem is if, say, you have a $5000 vet Bill and don't have the ability to float the amount until reimbursed.

That is the biggest issue with Pet Insurance these days.

To try and get around this, I got one of those Care Credit accounts, only to find out NO ONE takes the ****** thing because they charge the vet a hefty royalty fee to bill to it. All the vet's in my area either canceled acceptance of it or never bothered in the first place because of it.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I still can't make my final decision. I am so leaning towards Trupanion but everytime that I get close to pushing the submit button, I have second thoughts. Does anyone have any thoughts on Trupanion?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was kind of leaning towards Trupanion too but I keep going back and forth. I didn't have time to call Pet Plan yet but hopefully I can call them tomorrow (to check about price increases over time) so I will update then. '

I think Trupanion is good though- just don't know which one to go with now. But the only bad things I read about Trupanion, I also read about Pet Plan. Let me know what you decide and I will do the same :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts