Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for recommendations on pet hair vacuums. We have hard woods in our entire house except 1 room and our old vac is just not doing a good job of picking it up and I find myself picking up tumble-hairs all the time even after I vacuuum. Also - it cannot suck hair off the sofa at all.

I have looked at the Bissell and it seems pretty good, but I would like to hear from you on your experience with the Bissell or other pet hair vacs.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I only have one dog, but had this vacuum when my old roommate lived with me and she had a springer and a jrt so we were a 3 dog household. I have an OreckXL and love it! It's light enough that I can pick it up and vacuum the sofa. It seems to do a great job of picking up pet hair.

I say this, but I've never tried one of the nice pet hair vacuums.

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I just sold my Oreck XL after paying to have it unclogged for the second time in 2-3 months. The guy at the vacuum store where I had it unclogged said his wife won't use anything but a Panasonic vacuum, and that that is the brand often used by housekeepers. It has a 12 amp motor, compared with the 4 amp of the Oreck, and if it clogs, I can clear it myself. It also comes with accessories, which the Oreck does not. So for $229, I bought a new purple Panasonic. It is light, easy to push, and so far does a great job.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Honestly, I have a Eureka "Boss" vacuum and it beats the heck out of my older, very expensive bagless vacuum. I have hardwood and tile, with a large area rug in the living room.

I could not figure out why it was almost impossible to push the vacuum on the area rug until I really looked at it while I was vacuuming-the suction is so strong that it is sucking the rug up! It does the same thing with the carpet in the bedroom that was installed by the previous owners of the house.

It picks everything up and it is kind of fun to see the dust bunnies to the side vibrate and then get sucked up by :)

I love it and back when I was employed and had a house cleaner, she was astounded by what a good job it did.

I got it at WalMart for about $160.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I also have the Eureka Boss and love it. Consumer Reports ranked it number one this year. I am always stunned at the amount of hair and dirt it picks up. I too have hardwoods, but area rugs in the living and dining room. It works on everything.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Dyson here and love it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just installed a CycloVac GX300 in my new house and it is amazing. lots of power and suckes everything out of the carpet.

nothing beats the power of a good built in with a deicent power head.

Steve

·
Registered
142 Posts
Another Eureka Boss fan here. We bought it about a year ago, before we were dog owners. I have been very impressed at how well it sucks up EVERYTHING, including dog fur. We have hardwood floors and carpet in our house. We chose the Eureka Boss after reading the Consumer Reports info.

·
Old Vet
42 Posts
Roomba 530. Thing works great considering its size. When people ask how well it work i have them do an area of there rug and then send the roomba to have a second sweep. The amount of stuff the other vacuum misses is unreal! Get a ROOMBA!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a Dyson allergy and a Roomba. I also have hardwood floors on the entire lower floor. I love to turn the roomba on when I leave to go somwhere. I come home and the floor is hair free. I use the Dyson for the major cleaning, but the Roomba is good at picking up those hair balls off the wood.
Something else that I might suggest, if you don't already use one, a Furminator cuts way down on those loose hairs. I very rarely see a fur ball since buying my Furminator.

·
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
479 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have the Dyson DC23 Animal. It was an investment but it really works well. The "Animal" model comes with a special kit for cleaning animal hair including a small beater bar for cleaning the sofa. You empty the canister out after each use and there's no bags to replace and it never loses it's suction. It has a HEPA filter on it as well. I believe the warranty is for 5 years.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
I have the Eureka Boss Smart.
I paid 138.95 7/6/08, bought it at VCDiscounter.com
I have three dogs and have had no problems with clogs!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
How does you dog react to the Roomba? I'm afraid mine would consider it a toy and "good-bye" Roomba.

I bought a Bissel pet hair vacuum last summer, it works well but is heavy. I have an old sears canister and I really prefer it. I also have hard wood floors through with heavy area rugs. It seems to work well although I am changing bags a lot. I replace the beater bar every other year.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
I use a light-weight Simplicity. It only weighs 8 pounds, and works far better than the Orek's.

It was expensive, but it's gone strong for 2 years now.

This is the one I have:

http://www.simplicityvac.com/products/uprights/Freedom/SpecsheetF3600Pop.asp

It is also the most powerful vacuum I've ever owned.

It has no attachments It is purely an upright. I use a hand-held Simplicity for that sort of thing.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How does you dog react to the Roomba? I'm afraid mine would consider it a toy and "good-bye" Roomba.
both of my dogs try to stay out of its path. Murphy follows it around, but jumps if it unexpectedly turns in his direction.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've been considering getting one for awhile now. I may try it, anything to help keep up with the fur balls.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts