Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are in the process of putting together our will and trust. As part of this, I want to make sure I have a guardian in place for Duke and Charlie; plus funds set aside to help care for them in the event that something happened to both Steve and I. I'm working with an attorney and he said we can do a pet trust. I'm just trying to think through so that I can make sure Duke and Charlie don't end up homeless if something happens to us. I know that I want my step-daughter to be their guardian (even though she will not be our primary trustee). I know that I want to have money set aside to cover for their care. I also want to make sure that if for some reason my step-daughter couldn't take care of them, that I would want a no-kill rescue organization to help and I would want them to stay together if at all possible. I got Charlie from As Good as Gold Rescue and Duke from a breeder in downstate IL. As Good As Gold would be my first option for both. I need to review my contract with the breeder to see if she would have dibs first (it would not be my wishes for Duke to go back to the breeder). I think he would be better off with Charlie and As Good as Gold. Now to the question(s), has anybody else done this? What am I not thinking of that I should be? Do I have recourse on not going back to breeder if I think rescue would be better in the event my step-daughter could no longer take care of them?

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
In my contract with Brady, it was pretty specific that Brady would go back to the breeder before even going to family members. I am sure if the breeder knew the dogs were going into a good situation, and not to a pound or puppy mill, that is what it is really preventing.

Reactions: jennretz

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
A very good thread you started that I'm sure will be helpful to many. I remember a friend of mine and her husband had stipulated this in their will but I did not know the details.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
A very good thread you started that I'm sure will be helpful to many. I remember a friend of mine and her husband had stipulated this in their will but I did not know the details.
Thanks Kathy. I sure hope somebody has some insight. I'm just muddling through here. I'm looking for Duke's contract from the breeder because I really would not want him going back to them. At six months old he had severe health issues (prostate infection that almost killed him) and has had allergy issues plus was born cryptorchid. The vet told me I should inform the breeder and the breeder got defensive. I did not approach her in a negative way at all; just informative. She did not want to hear that one of her pups had health issues. It was never a case of me wanting to give Duke back or asking for refund. I would have never given him back and I don't think she would take care of Duke and his special dietary needs, etc. the way that he will need. He is not covered by any insurance and I worry what will happen to him if something happens to us.

ETA - I found the original paperwork and she did not require that Duke be returned to her in the event something happens to us. As I was looking at her website again, I was disappointed to see that she is offering one of her females "free to a good home" now that she's been retired. Part of me understands that this is a business, but the other part of me wonders how can they discard one of their own after providing a home for 8 years. Isn't that traumatic for the dog? I think she is a hobby breeder, but if I had understood then what I understand now I would not have gone there. And I love Duke to pieces and would never change my decision to get him.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bumping up to see if anybody has advice/guidance..,,

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Jenn

Jenn

We did leave money in our will for our dogs to be taken care of. My sister would make sure that they go to a reputable rescue and preferably together.

We did not specify the rescue as we have a Golden and a Samoyed, and wouldn't want to split them up if possible. I would talk to As Good As Gold and if they are agreeable I would DEFINITELY go with them. I'd also ask what is a good amount to leave for them.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Great thread, its not something I had thought about but I will certainly be doing it now.

I think once you cover all angels, such as if the rescue is not running or is full, who gets to choose which rescue they go to.

That doesn't sound very loving at all to be advertising their 8 year old girl as free to a good home. Thank god you don't have to give Duke back to them.

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
What I'm doing is having someone act as guardian (similar to kids) who will ensure there is a proper home found. I figure if I was too specific then it took away their choices at the time. EG. Rescue closed, breeder out of business, dog too old to travel.

She won't take on having the dog(s) live with her. She will also be responsible for making sure they get the money needed for care. (Too many stories about when money is given outright to the person responsible for the child/pet.) I guess the amount is up to you, I figured at least 10 yrs of food, vet, plus some for treats/toys and then a lump sum to cover major vet bills. I'm also specifying what happens to the funds if not needed, eg dog passes away after two years - who gets the leftover money.

Where I've been struggling is an executor, but I think I'm resorting to a lawyer or accountant.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I'm doing is having someone act as guardian (similar to kids) who will ensure there is a proper home found. I figure if I was too specific then it took away their choices at the time. EG. Rescue closed, breeder out of business, dog too old to travel.

She won't take on having the dog(s) live with her. She will also be responsible for making sure they get the money needed for care. (Too many stories about when money is given outright to the person responsible for the child/pet.) I guess the amount is up to you, I figured at least 10 yrs of food, vet, plus some for treats/toys and then a lump sum to cover major vet bills. I'm also specifying what happens to the funds if not needed, eg dog passes away after two years - who gets the leftover money.

Where I've been struggling is an executor, but I think I'm resorting to a lawyer or accountant.
Those are really good points you raise. The one thing I think I might do is have the money donated to a rescue in the event my dog passes - i want to keep any motivation for money out of the equation for the care of my dogs (i.e., attorney mentioned some people might give up dog so they can get the money set aside for care of dog). I want to make sure there is no motivation to not care for the dog such as financial gain. We will have a different trustee for the estate and I want this partly separate from that piece.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have finalized the pet trust. I get to designate the guardian. I have set aside a set amount for both dogs. In the event both dogs pass and there are remaining funds, my guardian will get a set amount for care taking of the pups and the remaining balance will be donated to As Good as Gold. In the event the guardian can no longer care for my pups, I want her to find a no-kill rescue; preferable As Good as Gold. This was the first pet trust my attorney has ever done. It was the most complicated part of setting up our wills and trusts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts