Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone purchased one they can recommend? I was looking at something like this?
71Vt2GydoDL._AC_SL1344_.jpg

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
My daughter has that same gate and her GSD girl can get thru it as is, but she twist tied a crate separator panel to the opening for a few weeks so the hole was much smaller and Rogue quit trying so she now doesn't need that ugly panel there.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Has anyone purchased one they can recommend? I was looking at something like this? View attachment 873142
We have several with different widths for single and double doors plus a stairway. Our 64lb girl can still get through somehow when she is really excited.😬 My husband cut a ‘spindle’ from a section we did not need to use, and welded it inside the cat gate to make it smaller. They have worked very well for us. Carlson is the manufacturer for most of what we have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I know a cat door would work best but we have really good quality heavy doors and really didn't want to cut a hole. So far she isn't venturing down stairs (to cat territory). I could also use one in the hallway but I have a regular gate there and the cats can jump up to the stairs and around ok.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
We have the same one in the first picture. I cut the door off and zip tied a small piece of plywood to make the opening about 1/2 as high. My dog Hazel is about 55 pounds and could easily pop herself through the originally sized opening.
I have had several of these gates going on 10 years, so I got my money's worth.

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
Have three up right now just like the original picture. When our pup was younger, we removed the cat doors and then zip tied them on to make the entry smaller. Biggest problem was a couple of the “well fed” kitty girls meant the cat openings were big enough our golden could get thru until he was almost a year old although he really didn’t try much beyond 6 months. They are a lot safer then the ones you have to step over- the stories we could tell about the times we used to do that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts