Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been addressed in other threads, but I'm wondering what others do to have a nice looking lawn that is chemically safe for pets. I have tru-green and use their organic treatment which is supposed to be pet friendly. However, I already have thistles again this year, dandilions and other weeds growing. This was a problem last year as well. How can I be safe for my pets, but not have all the weeds?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
We haven't done pesticide but we did do fertilizer this year. We can't do weed control because we're seeding part of the yard. We went and asked at the local hardware store (2 of them to make sure). We were looking for something that was safe for Ella to go on right away, especially since she picks up so much stuff off the ground and we don't want her to get sick. Both places said to get something that is all organic. Just watch out because some of them still have to be watered and soaked in before they are safe for the pet to go on. My dad got one that doesn't have to be watered in first. The pet can safely go on it immediately after its applied. I'll ask my dad what brand he ended up getting.

Right now its difficult walking Ella in the neighborhood because so many people are having pesticide put on their yard. Its a real pain trying to keep Ella out of it.

·
Cooper & Brady
286 Posts
I have been doing some research on this as well. I keep hearing that a good way to cut out weeds is to keep re-seeding the lawn to suffocate out the weeds. As much as I would like this work, I just haven't had success with it. Scotts apparently has some organic lawn care products, I have not seen it in stores so I have to give them a call and see where I can get a hold of some.

https://www.scottslawnservice.com/sls/templates/index.jsp?pageUrl=slsAboutOrganics

Interested to know what others say...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I took over my late husbands lawncare biz 5 years ago after he died. He did the chemical thing. I hated polluting the environment with the stuff, but it was paying my bills. Glad I am done with it.
" Organic " lawn materials just make your weeds green. They do not contain the chemicals that control: crabgrass/weeds/nutsedge/undesirable grasses or cinch bugs/grubs or ticks. So you will have very healthy, green weeds and bugs in your lawn if u go with only organic fertilizer program. And keep in mind, even some of the "Organic" chemicals can be harmful if ingested.

I do all my gardening as organic as I am able. I do not treat my lawn, other than to mulch when I mow. The studies that are showing a direct link to lawn chemicals causing cancers in pets are alarming. To me its not worth it and it was one of the direct reasons my conscience had me sell this year.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I started my front lawn from seed on a dirt patch. I battled weeds the first few years, but kept reseeding every spring/fall. Eventually the grass won out, but it took about 5 years. I think the key was not only the reseeding, but choosing a grass that can take over. I used grama grass, but I'm in the southwest, so I don't know how that would work elsewhere. I think your best bet is to go to a garden center (not lowes, but somewhere that the employees have knowledge) and ask them which grass is best out-competing weeds

Reactions: jennretz

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,808 Posts
Corn gluten is good. It won't kill existing crab grass and weeds. But it is good at preventing pre-emergent crab grass and some weeds from sprouting.

As oliversmom said, "organic" doesn't mean safe. Some organic products are harmful if ingested.

They say the best treatment for weeds and pests is your footprints on the lawn.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,668 Posts
There are a lot of weed killers you can make from using household items such as vinegar and Dawn Dish detergent.

Here's a few links:

Homemade Organic Weed Killers - How to Kill Weeds Naturally - Good Housekeeping

How to Use Vinegar & Salt As a Weed Killer | Home Guides | SF Gate

all natural lawn fertilizer-

Secret Lawn Tonic Recipe From Golf Course Groundskeeper - Updated

It probably would depend on what type of grass you have also. I have centipede grass, some other popular ones in my area are zoysia.

If you do a Google search you can find all kinds of info and recipes to make natural weed killer and fertilizers.

So far I have not tired any of these, we no longer treat our yard for weeds or fertilize it. We stopped many many years ago due to the possibility of it causing cancer in dogs.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
There isn't one product out there safe for pets. No matter how much Scott's, Chem-lawn or True Green swear their products are safe.
My lawn guy airrates the front every year then lays down grass seed. Then he goes over it with a 55 gal. roller filled with water for weight. It chokes the weeds even clover. He's old school and uses the push mower wearing a pair of old gold cleats. It works for the front. He always uses the bag out front to catch everything.
The back is Deaglan's. Other then cutting and mulching nothing else is done. He has 2 natural gas fracking wells going on and about 3 pipelines. He's enamored with surface roots.
Desensitizing yourself about weeds works wonders.

·
Bella's Dad
1,833 Posts
This year I'm trying the natural weed killer mensioned earlier.
It's for spot spraying only, not broad cast, as it will kill grass too.
It's 4 quarts of 5% white vinegar, + 1 cup table salt.
Heat over low heat until salt is completely dissolved, stir in 1 tablesoon liquid dish soap (ie dove, joy etc). The soap is a surfactant, which helps wetting of the weed leaves.
Spray leaves of weeds.

Mike D

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
We use 1 gallon vinegar mixed with 1 cup Epson salts and one Tablespoon blue Dawn dish liquid. I warm a little vinegar first to dissolve the salt and carefully add the soap to my pump up sprayer. I apply after the dew has dried and the weeds are dead before sundown. Works great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts