Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
I have a towel wrapped around the crate tray, one between the crate tray and the crate and one under the crate. Why so many??? I have hardwood floors and every time he moved during the night you could hear his nails (it's amazing how much noise it makes in the middle of the night with well groomed ones) against the crate tray and the metal against the hardwood floors.

The one in the family room area has nothing because it's used during the door for much shorter periods of time and for naps.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,720 Posts
I use blankets old and new. They never chewed them or soiled them.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Nothing! Beamer loves the cool plastic bottom to lay on.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm mean; my foster pups have to earn the right to have a bed in their crate. I usually start with a towel folded up into a puppy-sized square in the back of the crate and empty plastic at the front. Once they start holding it and get more crate-trained (i.e. letting me know at night when they need to pee), then they get a blanket.

Accidents happen and it's a lot easier washing a towel than a dog bed or blanket.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Nothing! Our dogs prefer to sleep on the plastic. I've tried crate beds for all of them at different times and they try to bunch them up into the corner of the crate. Kira actually whined until we took it out....she definitely didn't want it in there! And Jack will whine if there's a bed in his crate....he just doesn't like it. But they'll happily sleep and lay in their big dogs beds out of the crate. Go figure.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Nothing... my dogs chew fabric.. in crates only.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Nothing either. Mine got too hot and push them to the back so removed them, they stay cooler on just the plastic floor.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Padded crate bed with a Mexican blanket over it that is removed and washed once a week. Oh, and stuffed Heartbeat Puppy Dog that Amber has had since her Gotcha Day. :wave:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Count me as another with nothing. He likes the coolness of the plastic and I like that I don't have to worry about chewing and ingesting!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I have a mat for Cookie - it is kind of like a thick towel. If I spread it out in her crate, it will be all pushed to one corner in about 15 seconds. Sometimes she uses it as a pillow though, so I keep in in there.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
For my dogs who like beds, I use Bully Pads--they are thick fleece in several layers, sewn though--no stuffing to pull out! For my cool sleepers and destructo-dogs I use rubber stall-matting cut to fit the bottom of the crate. It stands up to horses and dairy cattle, but provides just a bit more flex than the hard crate plastic does--I also have one girl who managed to pull up and gnaw on her crate pan as if it were a chewy--she cannot do that with the stall-matting!

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Chloe gets a towel but she usually pushes it into the corner to cuddle with it. If I put a bed in her crate she humps it, which makes for a slightly akward night. :uhoh:

Charlie has a bed and she loves it.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
In the summer I don't use anything, in the winter it varies from a crate pad to a horse saddle pad. As a puppy, Dakota had towels until she was reliable. As someone said, easier to throw in the wash and clean.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My pup does not like anything in her crate. When we first got her we tried putting a blanket in with her but she would push it out of the way. When we had to go out if I left a blanket in the crate every time I came home she peed on it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If its a plastic crate then nothing...although most of the pups Ive had enjoyed having a towel in the crate with them until they were about 3-4 months old ( I prefer towels since they're easier to clean then a dog bed). With the metal crate I did line it with a towel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts