Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coop has found a job to do and he does it well.

He has assigned himself the task of being our official alarm clock during the work week. He knows when the coffeemaker goes off at 1:50AM it takes about 10 minutes then the final beep. That is his clue to come to my side of the bed, put his nose in my face....and Breathes real loud. I get woke up to two nostrolls staring me in the face, a silly grin on his face and doggie breath. Nothing like a big ole head bear hug and then a cup of hot coffee to get me going in the morning. So cute.

He is just sooo happy with himself with this act. He knows that means we will get up and he gets a big tummy rub. Funny how he waits the amount of time it takes for the coffee to make before waking me? Wonder how he figured this out??

·
Registered
44 Posts
It does amaze me the associations that they make, also the concept of time they can master.

My two understand that when I start texting after I get home that the we will be going to the dog park soon. I have a friend that has a border collie and we meet most evening so the dogs can play.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our problem is not the getting up so early, but going to bed so early. Feel we are like vampires! I love the dawn and greeting the day, but geez, haven't made it to 10:00PM in years! I am NOT someone you invite to parties unless you give me a blanket and pillow.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Wow, I thought that I was early at 4:00 AM! No wonder you set up the coffee maker. But....back to Coop. Dogs love routines. Sagebrush always went to the window to watch for my hubby at the same time on workdays just before he was due to to return. (We had no clue how he could tell time).

Buckskin saw the blue towel come out and ran to the pool.

Brewer would hear me turn off the computer ("Goodbye") and he would run to the door for his nighttime walk before bed.

Nugget sees the me put my knitting bag by the door and he knows that we are headed to the cabin - he blocks the door just in case we might forget him ....

Good job, Coop!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
Next time it's four thirty and the alarm goes off and I want to groan, I will think of you! Katie has come to know when the alarm goes off I will hit it for nine more minutes and she will continue to lay quiet. When it goes off the second time she is up and her tail is beating a drum against the wall, her nose four inches from my face. But to know from the coffee maker and to wait? Cody is one smart boy!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not me with these odd hours, DH has to be at work by 3:30 so he gets up at 2:00. He is like a bull in a china store. I sleep light and he would always wake me. Found it was easier to just get up at the same time and it has become just a normal workweek habit now. We just gear our clock to fit. Good thing is that this gives me time to get on the forum! Also have time to do the housework most do at night. Weird but the best we can do.

But you are right about habits I can see. Coop knows that when the signal goes off Mommie/Daddy get up, so he Helps us make sure we don't forget. So cute.

·
Didge's Mommy!
1,144 Posts
Our dogs do that too, but the problem is, the WEEKEND!!!!!:uhoh:
Didge wakes ME up (my hubby has him trained well) between 30 minutes and an hour of our weekday schedule! We get up at 5am and he never lets me sleep past 4:30 at the latest, on Saturday and Sunday...
Drives me CRAZY!!!! :doh:

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
You have to get up at 1:50 AM? Oh, dear....how do you do it?
I was wondering the same thing!! I'm an early bird myself, but that's even too early for my old bones!

My first Golden woke me up every morning. I loved it, until he started waking me up an hour early. It seems he was so motivated to go on walks he couldn't wait! I'd get up thinking he needed to go outside for bathroom duties, but no... he would run to where we keep the leashes, by the front door, sit and give me the look! After a few weeks I'd ignore him, and that's when he started giving me the paw on my side of the bed! :smooch: I miss him, even if he was a lilttle too eager in the early mornings!:smooch:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Isn't that cute! I love how they start figuring out clues to the routines. When I start getting ready to leave the house Ozzy runs to the door. I'm not sure what he's picking up on but he knows what's happening.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Lol what a smart puppy and what a great wife! way to keep the marriage alive! As soon as I start getting the kids dressed or doing their hair Maple becomes glued to my side and follows me every step till we leave to make sure she doesnt get left behind!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Funny how dogs love routine, we don't even need our alarm anymore. Sawyer has the 3 stage system, I swear. At the exact same time every morning, he wakes up and stares at me. If I don't respond to him then he paws at me. If I don't get up then, well all of a sudden there's a 65 lb dog on my chest. So I let him out, feed him and then he goes back to bed and lays down for another hour until it is MY time to get up for work.

Can't seem to make him sleep in the extra hour.... wish I new how.

I love hearing that other dogs like to wake up their owners too - I think it's cute, but at least for me, Sawyer doesn't believe in sleeping in on weekends.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts