Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just wondering if perform atrin ultra dog food large breed puppy formula would be good for a 13 and a half week old golden retriever? thank you!

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
You should keep puppy on whatever the breeder was feeding for at least 2 weeks, so that you don't add the stress of a new food to the stress of a new home.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Unless you have done a lot of reading on dog foods and puppy requirements, I would look to my trusted vet to advise me on what dog foods best suit my puppy....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most vets will push the overpriced, grain based foods that they sell...like Royal Canin or Science Diet ,etc. Better to do your own research...and learn to understand how to find a high quality food. I do agree...it's best to keep a young puppy on what the breeder is feeding for the first month or so....then if wanted, or the pup is not doing well on that food...to very gradually change the food.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BigBlackDog…….Thanks for your comments, something that sure could happen, which would lead one to walk away from that vet.
Fortunately, our vet has never suggested we use his dog food (with one exception when our dog had diarrhea). What he has done, when asked, he will give us a list (3 to 5) of what he believes would be best for our dog, with an explanation as to why he prefers we use one of these foods....

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,810 Posts
My Vet clinic only recommends a Prescription food such as Hill's Science diet or Royal Canin when there's a medical issue that needs to be treated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts