Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not attend to many dog parks but I know lots on the forum do so wanted to pass this along.

Apparently people are doing this at dog parks. It's sicking and make me ill to think someone would actually do this.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
What park did that come from? K

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
One has to always be careful about what a dog finds in public unfortunately.....there can be dangers from malicious to just natural resources. Pretty sick if an area is being targeted though.

My friend lost a pup last year to wild mushrooms growing in open space...she didn't even realize the pup had eaten one... sad.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One has to always be careful about what a dog finds in public unfortunately.....there can be dangers from malicious to just natural resources. Pretty sick if an area is being targeted though.

My friend lost a pup last year to wild mushrooms growing in open space...she didn't even realize the pup had eaten one... sad.
I occasionally see these
around where I live and are pretty nasty if eaten. I try and dig them up and put them in the trash if I see them.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I learn something every day here on the forum. Unfortunately, learning things like this is sad, however it will help me to raise my radar even further, when out and about.

·
Premium Member
16,405 Posts
This thread gave me goosebumps. I have a dog/mushroom phobia anyway, and the tacks/poison bait is something I worry about too. We never go to our favorite beach anymore in Cape Elizabeth bc one dog hater said he would poison the morning dog crew. He never did, but I won't go near that place. So awful and gratuitous. People who hate dogs really hate them with spite sometimes.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I had more info but all I know is a friend that lives in NY posted the pictures on a motorcycle forum I am on under a thread we have dedicated to all the riders who are dog lovers. I know for a fact if this happened where he lives it has been reported, I don't doubt that for a second.

I have never seen anything like that up here in AK but I am paranoid and always on the look out. This is a crime and I hope the person responsible for it gets caught and put in jail. Personally if I saw someone do this I would not hesitate to introduce their face to the nearest tree... this makes me sick.

·
and Luvtazz too
509 Posts
Not sure why I am so shocked...that is horrible. A poor dog would gobble those tacks up. I guess it is no different than devices hidden in halloween candy.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very. On this same topic I have made it a point that if my dogs are out with me I only let them get treats if we are at the Pet Zoo that I trust or if at the vets office.

Lots of coffee stands like to give my dogs treats when I drive though (which both my pups know the second I turn into the parking lot LOL). I just carry a bag of treats from home and give them those once I get my coffee.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I wondered if the photo was fake when I looked at it. Maybe because the meat was too clean looking? (just a tiny bit of dirt) and boy were the pieces perfectly cut looking. If you were going to do that, you could use some cheap pieces of meat (like a chicken neck) instead of really perfect cubes of pork or chicken.
BTW, we are about to get a new roof, and so were asking about how the roofers cleanup their site (nails especially) and the insurance guy told us to be sure to have them use that magnet thing to catch fallen nails because dogs love to eat nails (even without the meat around them).

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wondered if the photo was fake when I looked at it. Maybe because the meat was too clean looking? (just a tiny bit of dirt) and boy were the pieces perfectly cut looking. If you were going to do that, you could use some cheap pieces of meat (like a chicken neck) instead of really perfect cubes of pork or chicken.
BTW, we are about to get a new roof, and so were asking about how the roofers cleanup their site (nails especially) and the insurance guy told us to be sure to have them use that magnet thing to catch fallen nails because dogs love to eat nails (even without the meat around them).
They have rolling magnets for just that thing, just make sure they take their time when doing it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts